Author Topic: Ja Morant (Suspended 25 Games)  (Read 5153 times)

Re: Ja Morant (Suspended 25 Games)
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2023, 11:44:48 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557
I thought it would be around half the season. 25 seems light based on what was said previously and him already having an 8 game suspension.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2023, 11:46:38 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1415
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Awful.

Grizz can weather a 25 game suspension. Morant missed 21 games last season and 25 games the year before. So they have done this the last two seasons and done it well. I forget but I believe they have had a better W-L percentage without Ja Morant. So they can weather him missing 25 games without much problem.

Good opportunity for Tyus Jones to once again show his quality. I believe he'll be a FA in 12 months time as well. So this could work out well for him financially.

The understated wrinkle of this is that Ja will be ineligible for All-NBA now, meaning no supermax deal.

Dude just cost himself about $40 million.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2023, 12:10:29 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 265
  • International Superstar
Awful.

Grizz can weather a 25 game suspension. Morant missed 21 games last season and 25 games the year before. So they have done this the last two seasons and done it well. I forget but I believe they have had a better W-L percentage without Ja Morant. So they can weather him missing 25 games without much problem.

Good opportunity for Tyus Jones to once again show his quality. I believe he'll be a FA in 12 months time as well. So this could work out well for him financially.

The understated wrinkle of this is that Ja will be ineligible for All-NBA now, meaning no supermax deal.

And they've done it in such a way that it's unlikely to come into conflict with the player's union for being unnecessarily harsh.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Re: Ja morant
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2023, 12:44:56 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 416
The fact that the announcement has been pushed to after the Finals makes me think it’s big
I agree..I think he be suspended 25 games without pay
Dang I actually predicted something right for once lol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2023, 12:48:36 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Awful.

The supermax thing isn’t really an issue for Ja — or, more accurately, he needed make All-NBA this year for it to impact the rookie extension he signed last summer, and his in-season suspension might have cost him there.  Missing All-NBA in year 5 has very little impact on his next supermax, however.

« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2023, 12:50:48 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25613
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
The NBA, where legally flashing a gun gets you a 25 game suspension, but beating the hell out of your girlfriend and pleading guilty to felony domestic violence results in effectively a 10-game ban.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2023, 01:22:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3016
  • On To Banner 18!
Silver could have announced this during the Finals. I thought him not announcing it was a sign it'd be something severe and he wanted to wait until the very end. 25 isn't bad. He basically misses games until mid-December, which is still before the "peak" of the season (after Christmas/New Years)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2023, 07:18:23 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The NBA, where legally flashing a gun gets you a 25 game suspension, but beating the hell out of your girlfriend and pleading guilty to felony domestic violence results in effectively a 10-game ban.
Hooray for our ethical commissioner!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2023, 11:00:29 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92

I’m not so sure he was legally possessing that handgun.

A lot of states that allow for open or concealed carry still have rules against possessing them while drinking or under the influence of drugs. Felony convictions usually prohibit possession as well. Tennessee is one of them.

Tennessee generally allows the possession of a firearm within the confines of a licensed establishment open to the public where liquor, wine, beer or other alcoholic beverages are served for on-premises consumption unless the possessor is consuming any such alcoholic beverages on the premises.

Now Ja Morant is not a felon, but he was drinking while getting a lap dance and waving a gun around. I don’t know whether he was drinking in the car video, but that could add to the level of concern. Or perhaps the NBA knows he was smoking marijuana, or there’s something else that hasn’t come out yet?

« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2023, 04:14:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

A lot of states that allow for open or concealed carry still have rules against possessing them while drinking or under the influence of drugs. Felony convictions usually prohibit possession as well. Tennessee is one of them.

Tennessee generally allows the possession of a firearm within the confines of a licensed establishment open to the public where liquor, wine, beer or other alcoholic beverages are served for on-premises consumption unless the possessor is consuming any such alcoholic beverages on the premises.

Now Ja Morant is not a felon, but he was drinking while getting a lap dance and waving a gun around. I don’t know whether he was drinking in the car video, but that could add to the level of concern. Or perhaps the NBA knows he was smoking marijuana, or there’s something else that hasn’t come out yet?
I'm not saying Morant shouldn't have been punished. Just that it seems disproportionate compared to other punishments for more serious misdeeds
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2023, 06:13:17 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2496

I'm not saying Morant shouldn't have been punished. Just that it seems disproportionate compared to other punishments for more serious misdeeds

The Pacers laser incident makes this much worse than it would be otherwise. This guy is dangerous.