Author Topic: Nikola Vucevic,Julius Randell or D'Anglo Russell  (Read 4867 times)

Re: Nikola Vucevic,Julius Randell or D'Anglo Russell
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2019, 12:53:02 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Some of you have very poor basketball IQ

I forgot.....we gotta stick with the Js!!!!!!!!!!!!

If the letter "J" isn't in your name, we don't need you.

"J" stands for Jackpot

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Vuc is at his peak right now and shoots the three well. Randle actually had a sneaky good year and is entering his prime. Russell is already a borderline all-star and probably the best asset going forward. I really don't know what I'd do.

Vuc probably puts a ceiling on the team's potential since he'll only be so good defensively as the team's anchor and could regress from career highs offensively. Randle could be a liability in terms of defense and stretching the floor. Russell could contribute to an offensive log jam with Tatum, Brown and Hayward. I really don't know what I'd do.

Re-check Randles ability to hit the three, he has made that a big part of his game... I agree with you on his defense though

For what it's worth, Orlando was a top-10 team defensively this season.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2019, 01:35:03 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Vuc is at his peak right now and shoots the three well. Randle actually had a sneaky good year and is entering his prime. Russell is already a borderline all-star and probably the best asset going forward. I really don't know what I'd do.

Vuc probably puts a ceiling on the team's potential since he'll only be so good defensively as the team's anchor and could regress from career highs offensively. Randle could be a liability in terms of defense and stretching the floor. Russell could contribute to an offensive log jam with Tatum, Brown and Hayward. I really don't know what I'd do.

Re-check Randles ability to hit the three, he has made that a big part of his game... I agree with you on his defense though

For what it's worth, Orlando was a top-10 team defensively this season.

Randle was better with the 3 and Vuc was better defensively compared to years past. I just worry those were career years. Neither has definitively solved their shortcomings so I worry about tying up big money for 4 years (I'm assuming that's what it would take). But like I said, that's the case with any of those three players. They all have a lot to offer too. Could go either way with any of them.

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2019, 01:35:32 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I got turned off by Vuc during playoffs. Totally shut down by old timer Marc Gasol.

Julius Randall?  Love his energy, but if his defense is half as bad as his defensive reputation, I would pass.

Russell would require a huge salary.  Plus I don't normally say this, but he just doesn't strike me as a Celtic.  Something very selfish about his play. I don't deny his ability, especially last season, I just don't think he would fit chemistry wise.  Need to let the team leadership emerge from Smart, Brown and Tatum.  Adding Russell just feels too Kyrie - like. 

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2019, 03:15:57 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
I got turned off by Vuc during playoffs. Totally shut down by old timer Marc Gasol.

Julius Randall?  Love his energy, but if his defense is half as bad as his defensive reputation, I would pass.

Russell would require a huge salary.  Plus I don't normally say this, but he just doesn't strike me as a Celtic.  Something very selfish about his play. I don't deny his ability, especially last season, I just don't think he would fit chemistry wise.  Need to let the team leadership emerge from Smart, Brown and Tatum.  Adding Russell just feels too Kyrie - like.

I'm not majorly opposed to any of them. All with strengths + weaknesses. For some reason I think the market for Vucevic might be cool... Orlando wants to go full youth movement with Bamba, other teams want to spend big money on marquee names. Not saying we SHOULD spend big money on any.

Vooch was the only dependable guy on offense for the Orlando team, and while he had a great year, he's not really No. 1 option on playoff team material, right? So not surprised TOR (with excellent defense) shut him down. On a more balanced roster, maybe he fares better?

Personally, I'd rather spend on a big than a wing/guard - I think PG is the easiest position to cover, especially if you have good wing depth. Heck give me Smart at point if you have shooting at the other positions.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2019, 03:30:49 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

I'm not majorly opposed to any of them. All with strengths + weaknesses. For some reason I think the market for Vucevic might be cool... Orlando wants to go full youth movement with Bamba, other teams want to spend big money on marquee names. Not saying we SHOULD spend big money on any.

Vooch was the only dependable guy on offense for the Orlando team, and while he had a great year, he's not really No. 1 option on playoff team material, right? So not surprised TOR (with excellent defense) shut him down. On a more balanced roster, maybe he fares better?

Personally, I'd rather spend on a big than a wing/guard - I think PG is the easiest position to cover, especially if you have good wing depth. Heck give me Smart at point if you have shooting at the other positions.

And for some odd reason, Orlando had our number last year. We lost to them 3 times. By the way, I've always liked Vucevic too.

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2019, 03:53:40 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Julius Randle at 80/4 would be a very good deal. I think Randle can be an All Star.

With this great free agent class (Leonard, Irving, Butler, Walker, Horford, Russell, Harris, Vucevic, Middleton etc.) maybe Randle slips through the cracks (like he did last year)?

Randle is a bad defender, but I do believe that his offensive production (21-9-3) is legit.

I compared Julius Randle to Blake Griffin and it is scary..... :o   (look at the averages per 36 minutes!)

Randle (18/19) vs Griffin (13/14), both at 24 years of age:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1_hint=Julius+Randle&player_id1_select=Julius+Randle&player_id1=randlju01&y1=2019&player_id2_hint=Blake+Griffin&player_id2_select=Blake+Griffin&player_id2=griffbl01&y2=2014#stats-per_minute::none

Randle vs Griffin over their whole careers so far:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.fcgi?request=1&sum=1&player_id1_hint=Julius+Randle&player_id1_select=Julius+Randle&player_id1=randlju01&y1=2019&player_id2_hint=Blake+Griffin&player_id2_select=Blake+Griffin&player_id2=griffbl01&y2=2014#stats-per_minute::none

I already thought that Randle was possibly the most underrated player in the NBA, but I find these stats simply astonishing. Griffin has been a 6-time All Star and 5-time All NBA, but maybe it's not that crazy of a comparison since Randle's year in college was also very close to Griffin's first year in college.

Sign me up for 90% of prime Blake Griffin.