Author Topic: Shams: Monroe to C’s on 10-day contract  (Read 12323 times)

Re: Monroe back to Celtics
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2019, 10:11:07 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Is he playoff eligible? Or is he purely just a regular season stopgap?

I don't think he's playoff eligible as he was already on an NBA roster this season with Brooklyn. Thomas Robinson would've been as he hasn't played in the NBA all year, which is why this move is confusing.

If I am wrong, someone feel free to clarify (and I am sure someone will ;))

I think your answer was a post above in this thread:

As long as he was a free agent before March 1st he should be eligible for the playoffs.

Re: Shams: Monroe to C’s on 10-day contract
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2019, 10:14:30 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Hate this move if it takes away playing time from RW.

Yes.

Hard to find two players so far apart on their career arcs and future potential.

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2019, 10:32:30 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I guess my 'wish' came true. This from the big men thread:

If not Gortat, I guess I go with Monroe. I know, I know, defense and all, but he did very recently play for the Celtics and I at least see him being able to hold his ground better than someone like Zeller.

https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=99535.0

I assumed Robinson would be the guy - and maybe he still will be; it's not like a 10-day contract is that amazing - but Monroe played a few key moments for us last year, knows the system, and the dude has post-up and rebounding talent. I doubt he has totally forgotten how to play and he's only 28.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 10:43:01 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2019, 10:57:40 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Is he playoff eligible? Or is he purely just a regular season stopgap?

I don't think he's playoff eligible as he was already on an NBA roster this season with Brooklyn. Thomas Robinson would've been as he hasn't played in the NBA all year, which is why this move is confusing.

If I am wrong, someone feel free to clarify (and I am sure someone will ;))

I think your answer was a post above in this thread:

As long as he was a free agent before March 1st he should be eligible for the playoffs.

Ah got it, thank you.

Then it's not a bad move, considering the options and that it's approaching late March.

Plus as others mentioned, Monroe is familiar with the team and vice versa. Because he's playoff eligible, he's actually probably a better choice than T Robinson (more experienced)

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 10:58:50 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Good to know. Wasn't sure about this. Thanks.

Not a bad pick-up. Probably the best we could do considering how late it is in the season.

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 11:29:24 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1362
If Ainge knew they needed a big, why didn't he go after Enes Kanter or heck even Joakim Noah??

He probably didn't think they needed one at the time. They were struggling to find minutes for Theis and Williams as it was. I'm guessing it's because of Baynes injury and Horford sitting some games, I think it's just a stopgap till the end of the regular season.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 11:32:54 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
so, why and when did he get dropped from Raptors?
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2019, 11:50:20 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527

Traded with an unprotected 2021 2nd to BKN to free a roster spot.

Quote from: Feb. 7
Sources: Toronto is trading Greg Monroe and a second-round pick to Brooklyn.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1093603033332830210

The Brooklyn Nets will send the Toronto Raptors $110,000 as part of the cash considerations in exchange for Greg Monroe (who will be waived) and Toronto's 2021 second-round pick

https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/1093620335763775488

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 12:04:05 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
If Ainge knew they needed a big, why didn't he go after Enes Kanter or heck even Joakim Noah??

He probably didn't think they needed one at the time. They were struggling to find minutes for Theis and Williams as it was. I'm guessing it's because of Baynes injury and Horford sitting some games, I think it's just a stopgap till the end of the regular season.

Baynes was injured leading up to and after the trade deadline and both Theis and Williams are back-ups that really can't be relied upon.

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2019, 12:32:33 AM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Traded with an unprotected 2021 2nd to BKN to free a roster spot.

Quote from: Feb. 7
Sources: Toronto is trading Greg Monroe and a second-round pick to Brooklyn.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1093603033332830210

The Brooklyn Nets will send the Toronto Raptors $110,000 as part of the cash considerations in exchange for Greg Monroe (who will be waived) and Toronto's 2021 second-round pick

https://twitter.com/MikeAScotto/status/1093620335763775488

I appreciate the info, thanks!  ;)
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2019, 01:28:51 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
How long have I been saying we need bigs?

« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2019, 05:36:17 AM »

Offline Miranda-Kerr

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
  • MEAN GREEN MONSTAR TEAM
Very happy with this move as I was surprised we didn't try to bring him back during the off season.

He had some average games and some good ones too but hopefully now that he's fit and knows the system he can be a great rotation big.

Would rather Monroe than Yabu or Williams especially in the playoffs

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2019, 06:48:30 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Ainge signed Monroe to a 10-day. I guess with Horford and Baynes out we need a big.
Agreed, nice to have a vet big on the bench to bridge the gap.

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2019, 07:39:20 AM »

Online The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Best guess is that the C's are going to sign Monroe to back to back 10 day contracts and then maybe...possibly...sign him to a non guaranteed 5,337,000 (or slightly less) tax payer MLE contract on the last day of the regular season (April 10th) in order to use his salary if needed this summer in trade for Davis or possibly someone else even.  Need that extra body in the playoffs of course also but I would think the contract is of more importance to match salaries this off season.

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2019, 07:54:13 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Best guess is that the C's are going to sign Monroe to back to back 10 day contracts and then maybe...possibly...sign him to a non guaranteed 5,337,000 (or slightly less) tax payer MLE contract on the last day of the regular season (April 10th) in order to use his salary if needed this summer in trade for Davis or possibly someone else even.  Need that extra body in the playoffs of course also but I would think the contract is of more importance to match salaries this off season.

The contract angle is interesting. If they use the MLE to sign him and then use his salary in a trade, does that mean they lose the MLE for the year? That would limit their options for filling out the team if they make the AD trade.

Re his usefulness as a player, I think people are forgetting that he was totally unplayable during last year’s playoffs. Painfully slow and turnover prone. There is a reason he’s available now - teams keep waiving him.