Author Topic: What's Your Track Record With Celtics Draft Picks?  (Read 5437 times)

Re: What's Your Track Record With Celtics Draft Picks?
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2020, 12:04:00 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
Hated the pick, and I was right:

Yabusele.

Hated the pick, and I was wrong:

Grant Williams.  It's early but he's better than I expected.

Loved the pick, and I was right:

Rondo

Loved the pick, and I was wrong:

JR Giddens (I'm a New Mexico fan ... LOL)
Sullinger
RJ Hunter
Carson Edwards

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2020, 01:15:51 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Pretty bad, honestly.

As a draft fan in general, I'm probably okay. Had some good picks and bad picks throughout the years. I do think I'm learning and getting better when evaluating talent, but I've also become increasingly convinced that personality and character are the best predictors of success. Fans like me aren't really privy to that information.

As a Celtic fan, I have a pretty nasty habit of selling myself on any pick Ainge makes. I'm all-in as soon as he makes a pick. If I don't know them that well, I'm looking at stats and highlights of those players and dreaming about how they fit on this team. I'm also talking myself out of whatever guys I wanted at that draft spot for whatever reasons I can come up with. I've got pretty bad green-tinted lenses.

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2020, 01:42:40 PM »

Online gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291

As a Celtic fan, I have a pretty nasty habit of selling myself on any pick Ainge makes. I'm all-in as soon as he makes a pick.

This is what I do. But I kind of do it intentionally. I just enjoy being optimistic about draft picks, so I get on board as soon as the pick is made even if I disagreed a literal second earlier.

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2020, 02:16:36 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

As a Celtic fan, I have a pretty nasty habit of selling myself on any pick Ainge makes. I'm all-in as soon as he makes a pick.

This is what I do. But I kind of do it intentionally. I just enjoy being optimistic about draft picks, so I get on board as soon as the pick is made even if I disagreed a literal second earlier.
I do the same thing, but I believe that within the first or second summer league game you can tell whether it was a good pick or not.  I feel I have a great track record of projecting a guy's success after watching him in summer league, but I'm way less successful with opinions immediately after the draft.

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2020, 04:33:14 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Hated the pick and was right:

Montross
Melo
Yabusele

Loved the pick and was wrong:

Acie Earl
Jujuan Johnson

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2020, 04:51:36 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

I do the same thing, but I believe that within the first or second summer league game you can tell whether it was a good pick or not.  I feel I have a great track record of projecting a guy's success after watching him in summer league, but I'm way less successful with opinions immediately after the draft.

Agreed with you guys. What's the point of being a fan if you can't be a little bit of a fanatic? Love is blind.