Author Topic: Cole Anthony would be my pick  (Read 9166 times)

Cole Anthony would be my pick
« on: August 14, 2020, 12:43:39 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Seems to be trending around 14 so not too unrealistic.  IMO he would be the most talented guy at that point.  Suffered a lot by having a bad team around him but he's an NBA player and athlete.

The biggest issue with his game, and it's an important one, is his defense.  He was downright awful at keeping his guy in front of him.  Kind of ironic since Greg Anthony was such a tough defender.

Re: Cole Anthony would be my pick
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2020, 01:18:11 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Thing is, we already got 2 starting-caliber PGs in Kemba and Smart. Unless Danny believes that Anthony (or someone else) is a future star, I wouldn't want us to draft a PG with the Memphis pick.

The way I see it, the C's have 2 needs:

- upgrade the C position
- add a deadly shooter off the bench

Assuming we cannot trade up for Wiseman, I don't think we can address our first need via the draft. We can however address our second need. If I were Danny, my target at #14(?) would be Aaron Nesmith.

---------------------------------------------

PG: Kemba - Smart
SG: Brown - Langford
SF: Hayward - Nesmith
PF: Tatum - Grant
C: Theis - Kanter/Timelord

red: player option
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 01:25:21 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2020, 03:48:02 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Thing is, we already got 2 starting-caliber PGs in Kemba and Smart. Unless Danny believes that Anthony (or someone else) is a future star, I wouldn't want us to draft a PG with the Memphis pick.

- upgrade the C position

Assuming we cannot trade up for Wiseman, I don't think we can address our first need via the draft. We can however address our second need. If I were Danny, my target at #14(?) would be Aaron Nesmith.

I think the strength of this late lottery is the guards. Anthony, Maxey and Hampton all seem like solid options with the ceilings to some day start.

Anthony, needs to some how prove that he is the athlete he appeared to be in AAU and not what he showed at UNC. That coupled with improved D and he is an interesting long term fit with Tatum, Smart, and Brown.

Maxey, his combination of length, strong frame, and struggles shooting the 3 in college makes him feel like a DA pick. His potential as a defenders should endear him to BS early in his career

Hampton, has the ceiling to be the best player in the class. I suspect he goes top 10. If not I trust the Cs staff to turn him into a shooter (Smart and Brown (Romeo TBD).   
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2020, 05:22:26 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

- upgrade the C position

given that it normally takes a few years for most drafted players to make an impact on a team as deep as the celtics, ainge should take the best player available regardless of position.

who knows? in 2-3 years the roster will have changes. kemba may not be with the celtics. or injured.

i case in point is TL. it took until the end of his second year to begin to look as if he could play extended minutes. or romeo. a talented player, but he will need to develop for another year or two.

i dont get my hopes up thinking a mid-first round pick this year will suddenly be a starter or valuable reserve for the celtics next year.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2020, 07:54:47 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I rate Kira Lewis much higher than Cole Anthony.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2020, 09:37:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

Me too.

I wouldn’t touch Anthony. I think he’ll struggle in NBA like Dennis Smith.

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2020, 10:58:24 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Me too.

I wouldn’t touch Anthony. I think he’ll struggle in NBA like Dennis Smith.
i am very proud of how CSers are practicing social distancing.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2020, 11:37:05 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If Danny has to have a small PG as insurance for Kemba's knee and future starter down the road....then Danny, have Tyrell Terry. 

I don't see the difference (I could be blind) between him and Tre Young...though I think Terry might be a bit taller...

With offense like that...who needs defense.  Guys who can throw it in from anywhere (any distance...any angle...not just talking about long 3's) are rare...

Terry does that.

if 14 is too high...trade down for him..

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2020, 12:11:05 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
If Danny has to have a small PG as insurance for Kemba's knee and future starter down the road....then Danny, have Tyrell Terry. 

I don't see the difference (I could be blind) between him and Tre Young...though I think Terry might be a bit taller...

With offense like that...who needs defense.  Guys who can throw it in from anywhere (any distance...any angle...not just talking about long 3's) are rare...

Terry does that.

If he's your guy, you take him at 14.  If you have a few prospects available that you rate similarly, then you can trade down a couple spots.   Haven't paid much attention to draft prospects this year but I think I agree with you on Terry over the other names mentioned. 

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2020, 12:11:38 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
So what about Aleksej Pokusevski.  He seems to have a nice skill set for a 7 footer? 

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2020, 12:58:25 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Terry does that.

If he's your guy, you take him at 14.  If you have a few prospects available that you rate similarly, then you can trade down a couple spots.   Haven't paid much attention to draft prospects this year but I think I agree with you on Terry over the other names mentioned.

Hoping for Patrick Williams with the hoped for pick 14.  But Tyrell Terry would be a major spark...if he's a scoring machine then Kemba and Hayward can rest their bones while the

Terry
Smart
Brown
Tatum
R. Will

lineup kills it...

rest...hehehe...at least during regular season.  Kidding aside, might be a little sticky down the road a year or two if he's too good to sit on the bench...Of course, Kemba's job is safe as long as his knees are kind to him.

P. Wiliams more versatile and easy to slot.

EDIT:  I'm guessing if the C's liked P. Williams they'd have to move up from 14 1-4 spots....I don't think he'll last til 14.  So in my view unlikely we'll get him.

Cole Anthony I don't know what to say....I trust Danny.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 01:20:12 AM by wiley »

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2020, 03:13:30 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
A lot of nice players

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2020, 06:42:54 AM »

Offline greenhead85

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 35
Agree on Tyrell Terry. I believe there are other lottery teams who would need Cole Anthony. I think Anthony does not fit in Brad's system.

Will Danny pick Terry at 14?

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2020, 07:30:04 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
Agree on Tyrell Terry. I believe there are other lottery teams who would need Cole Anthony. I think Anthony does not fit in Brad's system.

Will Danny pick Terry at 14?
Danny picked Yabuselli and Rozier at 16.  So if he likes Terry best of the available players at 14 I expect Danny will take him there.   

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 03:48:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Seems to be trending around 14 so not too unrealistic.  IMO he would be the most talented guy at that point.  Suffered a lot by having a bad team around him but he's an NBA player and athlete.

The biggest issue with his game, and it's an important one, is his defense.  He was downright awful at keeping his guy in front of him.  Kind of ironic since Greg Anthony was such a tough defender.

I hope not

He reminds me too much of Kyme Irving.    Especially at defense

He is also 6'1 and not that athletic

I rather wait until the 20s and draft Devon Dotson.  Or  Ty Shon Alexandre  in the 2nd round
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 04:06:23 PM by Tr1boy »