Author Topic: McDaniels Rejects The Colts And Will Stay In New England  (Read 8933 times)

Re: McDaniels Rejects The Colts And Will Stay In New England
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2018, 05:01:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
McDaniels agent has left him, claiming McDaniels is committing professional suicide. 

As for the Colts, Irsay took over the team outright when his father died in 1997.  The first two seasons the Colts were 3-13 in each, but since then they have had just 3 seasons below .500, 2001 when they were 6-10, 2011 they were 2-14 (that was the year Peyton missed), and then this year without Luck when they were 4-12.  They went to 2 Super Bowls winning 1 during that time.  Let's not pretend the Colts are the Browns.  They aren't.  And sure Irsay at times acts like a spoiled brat, but by and large he has been at the helm of a highly successful franchise.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2018, 05:56:58 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Kraft or Irsay?  That's a no brainer.

Who knows how the Pats will look post Brady. It's not like Kraft was running a dump organization before Belichick got there either, though.  4 playoff appearances including a SB loss.  So I think the organization will still be stable & continue to be a better employer when contrasted with the Colts.    Performance-wise, they'll certainly take a step back.  That's what happens when you lose someone like Brady.   But they'll still be a good organization and the Krafts seem to be more stable and better decision makers that Irsay. 

Outside of Luck (and even that is a huge question mark right now), what does the Colts organization really offer right now?

Are you forgetting that Kraft bought the team when they had the #1 pick (Bledsoe) and Bill Parcells? I forget the timing of when that trio came together, but it was close. The Patriots are still feeling the effects of the foundation that Parcells laid down, thanks to Belichick. Kraft has had the luxury of relying on two of the greatest football minds in NFL history (Parcells and Belichick) to help run the team. I'm sorry, but McDaniels is not close to those two guys. Heck, Pete Carroll wasn't close to them, when he was here. Kraft has also had the luxury of basically having two quarterbacks during his ownership (Bledsoe and Brady). I'm sorry, but finding quarterbacks of that stature are extremely difficult.

The Patriots have also been drafting in the mid to high 20's for how many years now? Outside of a 40 plus year old Brady and a possible soon to retire Gronk, what other elite talent does this team possess? Belichick has gotten the most out of the players on the roster, and I highly doubt McDaniels could do the same.

To me, Belichick has proven that he could win without Brady (2008 season, and Brady suspension). Can Brady win without Belichick? Can McDaniels win without both Belichick and Brady?
Without Brady Belichick has coached 7 full seasons. He's made the playoffs once. He won 1 game.

Without Brady he is 54-66.

I'm not sure you can really say he's proven he can win without Brady.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2018, 06:29:32 PM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 208
McDaniels agent has left him, claiming McDaniels is committing professional suicide. 

As for the Colts, Irsay took over the team outright when his father died in 1997.  The first two seasons the Colts were 3-13 in each, but since then they have had just 3 seasons below .500, 2001 when they were 6-10, 2011 they were 2-14 (that was the year Peyton missed), and then this year without Luck when they were 4-12.  They went to 2 Super Bowls winning 1 during that time.  Let's not pretend the Colts are the Browns.  They aren't.  And sure Irsay at times acts like a spoiled brat, but by and large he has been at the helm of a highly successful franchise.
They may not be the Browns but they proudly hoist "AFC Finalist" banners after getting whooped 45-7 in the AFC Championship game.  A great franchise would have more pride than that...
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

At the Bar: The Most Interesting Man in the World
At the Door:  Hugh Hefner
On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2018, 09:08:38 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wouldn't you rather have a decade of Andrew Luck rather than whatever random player replaces Brady.

McDaniels will have other opportunities.

But the situation he's in right now is a really good one. He's the OC working with the GOAT. Why not ride it a bit until a really good situation comes along?
His only shot at a head coaching job is New England.  no one else will hire him now.

Yahoo agrees

https://sports.yahoo.com/josh-mcdaniels-petulant-move-jilting-colts-provides-cautionary-tale-31-nfl-teams-060451467.html
That's why certain other franchises will never win. Let them have the Rex Ryans and Jeff Fishers of the world.

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2018, 09:17:13 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

.... and because that same agent represents the Colts GM. He had to pick one or the other, and throw the other under the bus.

I wonder if McDaniels needs to cut the agent in on any proceeds from the new contract  he has with the Pats?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2018, 09:20:02 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Wouldn't you rather have a decade of Andrew Luck rather than whatever random player replaces Brady.

But the situation he's in right now is a really good one. He's the OC working with the GOAT. Why not ride it a bit until a really good situation comes along?
His only shot at a head coaching job is New England.  no one else will hire him now.

Yahoo agrees

https://sports.yahoo.com/josh-mcdaniels-petulant-move-jilting-colts-provides-cautionary-tale-31-nfl-teams-060451467.html

Nonsense. If McDaniels wants to move next year, he'll have suitors. But he won't want to move, because he just signed a long term extension with the Pats which gives him more responsibility, probably lots more money, and a decent shot to take over as HC when BB leaves.

But again, if he wanted to move, he would be able to. Teams want to win. They won't care a year from now that the Colts got jilted.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2018, 09:27:00 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 324

Yahoo agrees

That's why certain other franchises will never win. Let them have the Rex Ryans and Jeff Fishers of the world.

I agree. I posted this on Pats Pulpit:

I don't understand why some people seem upset about McDaniels "burning bridges" with the rest of the NFL. It’s as though they’re personally concerned about his lifelong professional well being, or like they feel that we as fans should be concerned about that sort of thing. He’s a big boy; he’ll be fine one way or another. If he’s content to be a New England lifer, fine. If not, remember that this is the NFL, which annually has several sucky teams desperate for coaches, and I’ve no doubt that at least one of them will come begging at McD’s doorstep at some point, even if it’s years down the road.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Let's get this straight right now. Franchises fire coaches with years left on their contracts all the time. They get paid the money so no big deal. Coaches also sometimes leave teams while they have contracts. I mean that's what they wanted him to do right? He had a contract and they wanted him to come to them anyway, right? So then he never gets a dime from them and changes his mind and it's career suicide? Wouldn't getting rid of your own client be career suicide? I mean who's the employee here?

Hey Indy. Did it occur to you maybe you committed franchise suicide when you went all cry baby tattle tale on the league?

« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 01:39:29 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

They may not be the Browns but they proudly hoist "AFC Finalist" banners after getting whooped 45-7 in the AFC Championship game.  A great franchise would have more pride than that...

Would a team proudly hoist an undefeated regular season banner, that lost the Super Bowl?

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2018, 02:23:40 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton

Would a team proudly hoist an undefeated regular season banner, that lost the Super Bowl?
Only one team in history has had an undefeated 16 game regular season.  Four teams a year are conference finalists.  I think one of these feats is at least reasonably banner worthy.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

On Stage:  O.A.R., Louis C.K., EDGAR! Special Drinks:  Irish Car Bomb, Martinis On Tap: Lite, Beamish, 3 Floyds Seasonal, Chimay Grand Reserve, Spotted Cow

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2018, 08:25:48 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Only one team in history has had an undefeated 16 game regular season.  Four teams a year are conference finalists.  I think one of these feats is at least reasonably banner worthy.
Don't the Red Sox have all kinds of banners hanging, not just the World Series wins?  I seem to recall seeing some from plenty of non-championship seasons, like 46, 75, 86.  I think I've seen others as well.  I mean a great franchise should have more pride than that, right?

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2018, 08:35:43 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to see a banner that reminds me of one of the biggest disappointments in sports history. I thought it was completely embarrassing when they put that banner up, especially from a franchise that had prided itself in winning three titles at that time.

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2018, 08:52:27 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
Robert Kraft seems to be avoiding criticism so far. Did he wait until the last minute just so he could stick it to the Colts? It didn't seem like any secret that McDaniels was taking the Indy job for the past 3 weeks or so. Why the change of heart for McDaniels but not Patricia? BTW, lets say McDaniels becomes the next head coach and signs a 5 year deal. Does Kraft had the heart to fire McDaniels after year 3 or 4, assuming the team is far worst than anyone could have imagined? After all, Robert Kraft does have a hand in crafting McDaniels' now Benedict Arnold image, and will have a strong sense of just how he may never get another opportunity in the NFL.

« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2018, 09:16:17 AM »

Offline chicagoceltic

• Bill Walton

Maybe it's just me, but I don't want to see a banner that reminds me of one of the biggest disappointments in sports history. I thought it was completely embarrassing when they put that banner up, especially from a franchise that had prided itself in winning three titles at that time.
I am indifferent to the 16-0 banner and likely lean towards not having it but again it is a historic feat so I think it is at least reasonable.  AFC Finalist banners are pretty pathetic.  Of course I could be blinded by my disdain for Irsay and the Colts and am likely taking a petty shot at them.
Pub Draft

Sam N Ella's

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2018, 10:17:00 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

I am indifferent to the 16-0 banner and likely lean towards not having it but again it is a historic feat so I think it is at least reasonable.  AFC Finalist banners are pretty pathetic.  Of course I could be blinded by my disdain for Irsay and the Colts and am likely taking a petty shot at them.
The Red Sox have American League East championship banners hanging (or at least have fairly recently). 

For example, this PHOTO shows banners from 67, 75, 86, 88, 90, 95, and 04.  Only 1 WS title and 3 AL East titles on teams that didn't even make the WS. 

You are just being ridiculous because it is the Colts.