Poll

Who has a better chance of being a #1 scorer?

Jaylen
10 (20.4%)
Tatum
39 (79.6%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Who has better potential as a go to scorer, Jaylen or Tatum?  (Read 4510 times)

Who has better potential as a go to scorer, Jaylen or Tatum?
« on: October 19, 2017, 01:05:29 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Jaylen has been great going to the hoop, but I still think Tatum has the better offensive potential.

We need to run more plays for Tatum on the low post and in the pick and roll game with Kyrie.

Smart needs to go to the bench when Morris comes back. I think that would help with spacing a lot , and open up things for both Jaylen and Tatum.

Re: Who has better potential as a go to scorer, Jaylen or Tatum?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 01:10:54 PM »

Offline seancally

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 119
Love what we've gotten from Jaylen so far and I hope it continues. With that said, Tatum has the makings of go-to scorer in the NBA - from every position, in every way, with length, savvy, touch, feel etc. He's also 19 and is well beyond his years on that front. He'll have growing pains and many rookie moments this year, but he has a great future.

As far as which will be the better overall player - that's a more interesting question, IMHO. Still think Tatum could have the edge, but it'll be close!

Agree on your last point. I would love a starting 5 of Irving/Brown/Tatum/Morris/Horford.
"The game honors toughness." - President Stevens

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 01:41:05 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I'd like to see us free up Tatum for more threes. The only way he is going to extend his range is by getting those reps, and if he makes a good percentage of them, it makes the team better now.

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 02:15:18 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I would say Tatum because he seems like he can score in a lot of ways but you can't deny Jaylen going to the rim is elite NBA level looking stuff so far and he has been hitting some tough outside shots.  There's no question that Tatum so far looks a lot better than Brown did coming in though.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 02:31:21 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
Tatum.

Brown is more athletic and has more potential as an all around superstar.

Tatum might be a top 10 scorer in this league at some point.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 02:32:52 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
tatum potentially has the whole package

jaylen has been awesome to watch but i think will be limited to dunks/drives and 3's overall, not really creating his own shot down the stretch like a go to scorer would.

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 02:33:56 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
5 years down the line, Brown will be an elite transition scorer being almost unstoppable on the fast break much like guys like LeBron and Giannis are now.

Tatum in that same time span will be the one getting the tough shots in a grind it out half court offense.

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 02:52:47 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I voted Tatum because i am just comparing his rookie year so far compared to Jaylen's rookie year

Tatum has another tool going for him that Jaylen did not - his rebounding, a better polished offensive game during rookie year. Tatum loves that fake and shot and post shot, something Jaylen didn't have as well

I think if Tatum can be consistent being a 8 and 7 guy right off the bat (if more, GREAT), then I like his chances of growing into a superstar down the road

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2017, 03:16:41 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Being a #1 scorer in the league is incredibly hard. There aren't many players that can do it so the fact that even 1 of these 2 guys has potential for it is great

« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 03:22:08 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
It’s tatum.  Jaylen is great in the open court and a free flowing game but doesn’t have the offensive game to be successful in half court when the defense is geared to stop you.

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2017, 03:34:14 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Tatum.

You can tell he is the shot creator type in the mold of Pierce.    Brown needs the table set more for him.   Love both, though.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2017, 03:35:17 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I hope both reach max potential and destroy the league for years on end! Personally, I think both will be good at it eventually but maybe Tatum will be better at it because he has more shots at the moment, he looks like he will be able to keep people guessing and he already has taken on that role in his past.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 03:52:22 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
Tatum clearly has a more polished offensive game right now, and a much more diversified offensive game. He can hit hard shots and make it look silky smooth. So I went Tatum. That being said it Jaylen has already showed a lot of skill driving and finishing at the hoop along with a decent ability to finish through contact and get a foul. If he can just do that and combine it with a league average or better three point shot he'll be a very goo scorer. The three most efficient shots on the court are at the rim, at the foul line, and from 3 (if you can hit it). He has the potential to have all three in his back pocket. But he doesn't have Tatum's ability to manufacture a shot out of thin air.

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
I think they both reasonably have potential to be 20 PPG scorers eventually.  JB clearly is headed in that direction.

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2017, 04:40:42 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375
I think they both reasonably have potential to be 20 PPG scorers eventually.  JB clearly is headed in that direction.
I agree, but they'll get their points in different ways.  Jaylen will get points in the open court, sport up 3's, and by slashing, Tatum will do all of that, but will also have the ability to create his own shot late in games.  I think they compliment each other greatly.

The Hayward injury really sucks, and I'm having a hard time getting excited for the season, but I have to admit both Brown and Tatum have exceeded my expectations so far this year.  If that continues, and we assume Hayward is back to full strength by next year, then our future prospects (beyond this year), look even brighter than they did before game 1.  It's just that I as SO LOOKING FORWARD TO A CHANCE AT THE FINALS THIS SEASON.  :-\