Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 23240 times)

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2024, 09:28:10 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
How about another planet trade number three to Minnesota for Jefferson. Also trade for fields.  Assuming we get some extra pics in the trade with Minnesota, used him for bolstering, the office of line and other needs. It will take big money to extend Jefferson and fields, but the cap keeps going off.

If the Pats don't like Daniels and Maye, I would love this. Trade #3 for Jefferson, #11, 2024 3rd rounder + 2025 1st rounder. You can still add a legit OT prospect or WR prospect at #11, or even use that pick outright or trade down further to take a QB like McCarthy/Nix/Penix if you go that route.

I have a slight conspiracy that the Bears are asking a lot back for Fields, which is why he's still with Chicago. A few of his suitors like Steelers and Falcons found other QBs. I wouldn't count out the possibility that he remains Chicago's backup and hits FA in 2025.

Well if that’s the offer for #3, take it fast before they come to their senses. J

Only if they really don't like Maye or Daniels. I would still prefer the franchise QB. They need to really evaluate this properly and make a firm decision. I don't want to take a QB just for the sake of taking one, otherwise you basically run into another Mac Jones situation.

I think it would be way worse than the Mac situation. Flopping on the #3 pick is a disaster. These picks don't come around often for good franchises.

« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2024, 09:38:24 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
How about another planet trade number three to Minnesota for Jefferson. Also trade for fields.  Assuming we get some extra pics in the trade with Minnesota, used him for bolstering, the office of line and other needs. It will take big money to extend Jefferson and fields, but the cap keeps going off.

If the Pats don't like Daniels and Maye, I would love this. Trade #3 for Jefferson, #11, 2024 3rd rounder + 2025 1st rounder. You can still add a legit OT prospect or WR prospect at #11, or even use that pick outright or trade down further to take a QB like McCarthy/Nix/Penix if you go that route.

I have a slight conspiracy that the Bears are asking a lot back for Fields, which is why he's still with Chicago. A few of his suitors like Steelers and Falcons found other QBs. I wouldn't count out the possibility that he remains Chicago's backup and hits FA in 2025.

I think the Bears would rather cave on their trade demands then keep both Williams and Fields in the same locker room. His trade market isn't huge right now after ATL. Washington, NE, NYG, Minn, NO and Denver appear need a QB. I think he will end up with the Giants for a 3rd rounder.

Yeah ultimately I think he gets dealt for a 3rd. But maybe CHI is asking teams for a 2nd (or a 3rd + future high pick which is still hefty)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2024, 10:00:36 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

I think the Bears would rather cave on their trade demands then keep both Williams and Fields in the same locker room. His trade market isn't huge right now after ATL. Washington, NE, NYG, Minn, NO and Denver appear need a QB. I think he will end up with the Giants for a 3rd rounder.

Yeah ultimately I think he gets dealt for a 3rd. But maybe CHI is asking teams for a 2nd (or a 3rd + future high pick which is still hefty)

Sounds like there isn’t much interest in him at all. Probably ends up as a backup somewhere.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2024, 10:11:57 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Pats signing TE Austin Hooper, 1 year up to 4.25M.

Now bring back Pharaoh Brown and I think the TE room is pretty well set.

« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2024, 10:27:46 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
EDIT:  Wrong thread, am idiot

« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2024, 11:29:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

I think the Bears would rather cave on their trade demands then keep both Williams and Fields in the same locker room. His trade market isn't huge right now after this week's moves. Washington, NE, NYG, Minn, NO and Denver appear need a QB. I think he will end up with the Giants for a 3rd rounder.

There's such an advantage in the 5 years of controlling a rookie QB. Fields has already used up 3 of those years with suspect results. I think he still has potential, but he is certainly not a sure thing, much like these rookie QBs.

« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2024, 11:30:42 AM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Has anyone else seen this or confirm if this is true.

Mike Onwenu is resigning with the Patriots for 3 years and $57M.

https://nesn.com/2024/03/mike-onwenu-speaks-out-after-striking-new-deal-with-patriots/amp/

« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2024, 11:48:39 AM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Solid move. Henry/Hooper/Brown is a good TE group.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2024, 11:53:43 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Unfortunately Brown signed with the Seahawks last night. I wonder if they decide to draft a TE with the 3rd round pick, there should be a lot of solid options.

« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2024, 12:18:24 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
Has anyone else seen this or confirm if this is true.

Mike Onwenu is resigning with the Patriots for 3 years and $57M.

https://nesn.com/2024/03/mike-onwenu-speaks-out-after-striking-new-deal-with-patriots/amp/

I have been in the car quite a bit the last couple of days and it has been talked about quite a bit.  I think it is 100% real.  Onwenu is coming back.

« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2024, 12:24:19 PM »

• Satch Sanders

Unfortunately Brown signed with the Seahawks last night. I wonder if they decide to draft a TE with the 3rd round pick, there should be a lot of solid options.

Oh, hadn't heard that yet. Well, Henry and Hooper is a really good 1-2 punch, and I'm sure they can find a decent No. 3 without much trouble.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2024, 12:26:57 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Pats still have over $50M of cap room.  A Barmore extension would be nice. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2024, 12:39:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
After making the Pro Bowl in consecutive seasons with the Falcons, Hooper joined new offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt in Cleveland for two seasons, tallying 84 catches, 780 yards, and seven touchdowns in Van Pelt's offense during the 2020-21 seasons.

Not a huge move, but seems solid.  And I agree, leaves open the possibility to draft a TE.  I am not too worried about the 3rd TE.

« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2024, 01:16:02 PM »

• Satch Sanders
Pats still have over $50M of cap room.  A Barmore extension would be nice.

Yes, that would be great. He's an impact player.

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2024, 02:31:16 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
The New England Patriots reportedly "checked in" with the Los Angeles Chargers about possible trade candidates at a time when wide receivers Mike Williams and Keenan Allen and edge-rushers Joey Bosa and Khalil Mack are all the subject of rumors linking them to a potential change of scenery.

Doug Kyed of the Boston Herald reported the Patriots, who are flush with cap space, held talks with Los Angeles as it explores ways to duck under the cap.

The Chargers are nearly $26 million over the cap and need to get under cap before Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET.

I am not sure what happens to the Chargers if they don't get under the cap by 4:00p, but I find it plausible that the Pats are holding back some cap space in case there is a fire sale.  All the players mentioned make north of $32M.  All are one year other than Bosa is 2 years.  I am not sure if any of these make real sense for a rebuilding team but if they attach a pick or maybe a young player, maybe.  Or maybe they take back Ju Ju and his two seasons at about $10M each in exchange for say Allen and his 1 year at $35.7M.