Author Topic: Patriots Off-Season News  (Read 23266 times)

Re: Patriots Off-Season News
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2024, 06:31:18 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
Uche returning on a one-year deal. I like that move.

Excellent. I can’t complain about any moves - gets, keeps or losses - so far.   I’m impressed that players who could have gotten  good money elsewhere are staying.

Btw - has there been any news on Judon regarding his recovery?

Me too. Maybe their reasons for staying don't matter, but the defense was good last year, so I wonder if some of these guys are thinking, "We got a new coach, new player personnel director, and we'll have a new QB — maybe we've got something worth sticking around for."
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2024, 07:20:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Agent using Schefty to drive a bidding war? I really hope the Pats don't sign him. He's not worth what he's going to cost.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
New England is pushing to sign free-agent WR Calvin Ridley, but sources believe that he currently prefers to return to Jacksonville and he has been discussing a deal with the Jaguars.

If Ridley was 26/27, I’d say go for it. He’s going to be 30 this year, though. IMO, Doesn’t make sense to spend a lot of cash on an older WR considering the Pats are full rebuild.

If they are drafting a young QB, have a WR who knows what to do and can make plays for the QB can go a long way to helping the QB develop.

Ridley would be new to the team,  so we don’t know that he will know what to do on the field. He has to learn the offense as well and it doesn’t always work out as we’ve seen so many times before. Also, the young QB might sit the whole year behind Brissett. That’s probably the safest way to go about it. Don’t want to ruin another 1st round QB.
the 3rd pick in the draft is not sitting behind a QB that couldn't even beat out Sam Howell last year.

Kinda like when Trey Lance was the 3rd pick in the draft and sat the first year.
Ah yes because Jimmy G and Brissett are the same thing.  Jacoby Brissett is not a starting level QB.  If he is starting for the Pats over the 3rd pick something has gone drastically wrong.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2024, 07:25:48 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Agent using Schefty to drive a bidding war? I really hope the Pats don't sign him. He's not worth what he's going to cost.

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter
New England is pushing to sign free-agent WR Calvin Ridley, but sources believe that he currently prefers to return to Jacksonville and he has been discussing a deal with the Jaguars.

If Ridley was 26/27, I’d say go for it. He’s going to be 30 this year, though. IMO, Doesn’t make sense to spend a lot of cash on an older WR considering the Pats are full rebuild.

If they are drafting a young QB, have a WR who knows what to do and can make plays for the QB can go a long way to helping the QB develop.

Ridley would be new to the team,  so we don’t know that he will know what to do on the field. He has to learn the offense as well and it doesn’t always work out as we’ve seen so many times before. Also, the young QB might sit the whole year behind Brissett. That’s probably the safest way to go about it. Don’t want to ruin another 1st round QB.
the 3rd pick in the draft is not sitting behind a QB that couldn't even beat out Sam Howell last year.

Kinda like when Trey Lance was the 3rd pick in the draft and sat the first year.
Ah yes because Jimmy G and Brissett are the same thing.  Jacoby Brissett is not a starting level QB.  If he is starting for the Pats over the 3rd pick something has gone drastically wrong.

I personally would play the #3 pick, but it really isn't some "far fetched rumor". It's been reported online, especially if it's Maye. That he could sit a year behind Brissett, or at least at the beginning and then take over later.

Maybe they could have tried for another "bridgey" QB but at the same time not all the QBs are stupid. I doubt Russell Wilson would want to come to NE knowing he's only playing probably for 1 year before the rookie inevitably takes over. Others like Mayfield, Cousins, etc. all got paid. Maybe Minshew could have been a better option but not by much, and he got 2/25M (15M guaranteed). Same with Flacco who is turning 39 next season. Fields I could give you, but I'd argue why hasn't he been dealt yet? Steelers and Falcons were rumored for him and they took other options. Maybe CHI is asking for too much.

Again, I'd just start the #3 pick, but it's not like they are contending in 2024 regardless. You've made the same point when talking about Ridley and splurging on a receiver, the roster isn't ready yet. But you also risk ruining the QB if you start him behind a hideous roster and bad O-Line (similar to Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, etc.). The QB himself might also need a bit more polishing, not everyone can just start immediately.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2024, 07:26:24 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

I think you're wrong, and so do the Patriots writers. As far as I know (not a lot), the Patriots are going to start Brissett ahead of the #3 pick, presumably Daniels or Maye. I doubt they pick JJ McCarthy over Drake Maye.

« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2024, 07:42:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Are we saying Week One or at some point during the 2024 season?

Because there's a darn good chance that Brissett (barring a horrific camp or injury) is going to be the opening game starter. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2024, 07:53:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

I personally would play the #3 pick, but it really isn't some "far fetched rumor". It's been reported online, especially if it's Maye. That he could sit a year behind Brissett, or at least at the beginning and then take over later.

Maybe they could have tried for another "bridgey" QB but at the same time not all the QBs are stupid. I doubt Russell Wilson would want to come to NE knowing he's only playing probably for 1 year before the rookie inevitably takes over. Others like Mayfield, Cousins, etc. all got paid. Maybe Minshew could have been a better option but not by much, and he got 2/25M (15M guaranteed). Same with Flacco who is turning 39 next season. Fields I could give you, but I'd argue why hasn't he been dealt yet? Steelers and Falcons were rumored for him and they took other options. Maybe CHI is asking for too much.

Again, I'd just start the #3 pick, but it's not like they are contending in 2024 regardless. You've made the same point when talking about Ridley and splurging on a receiver, the roster isn't ready yet. But you also risk ruining the QB if you start him behind a hideous roster and bad O-Line (similar to Zach Wilson, Mac Jones, etc.). The QB himself might also need a bit more polishing, not everyone can just start immediately.
They aren't which is why you just play the QB.  There are plenty of examples of guys playing right away on bad teams that end up really good.  I think most of the ones that fail doing that would have failed anyway even if they sat for awhile.  The draft is a crap shoot such that I do think it is important to actually see the guy so you know if he is capable of being the long term answer.

« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2024, 08:04:05 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I don’t think there is any way to know who will start. There is no guarantee that Brissett will start no matter who else is in the quarterback room. The patriots still might bring in Fields and then Brissett would be the back up. And they draft tackles and wide receivers. Probably they draft a QB at three and Brissett starts but I don’t think anything is certain.

« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2024, 08:22:13 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

They aren't which is why you just play the QB.  There are plenty of examples of guys playing right away on bad teams that end up really good.  I think most of the ones that fail doing that would have failed anyway even if they sat for awhile.  The draft is a crap shoot such that I do think it is important to actually see the guy so you know if he is capable of being the long term answer.

Plenty started right away and had success? Stroud was good last year, who else?
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2024, 08:44:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

Plenty started right away and had success? Stroud was good last year, who else?
That isn't what I said.

« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2024, 09:01:20 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
How about another planet trade number three to Minnesota for Jefferson. Also trade for fields.  Assuming we get some extra pics in the trade with Minnesota, used him for bolstering, the office of line and other needs. It will take big money to extend Jefferson and fields, but the cap keeps going off.

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2024, 09:13:19 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Adam Schefter
@AdamSchefter

I'm not trying to start an argument but isn't this basically what I'm saying too? You may be right that you are better off playing the guy and seeing what you got. But I could also be right that you are better off sitting him for some time before putting him out to the wolves (like Jordan Love, Mahomes, etc.).

There are A LOT of people saying Maye could need a year of development since he's also only 21, so it's not some "far fetched" theory Brissett could start even over the #3 pick. I guess you could argue that they should have gotten a better veteran/bridge QB but I think people are misevaluating the options. Meaning there just weren't many realistic options. Maybe Fields? Minshew who cares, and he might have a shot to stick with the Raiders more so than the Pats.

I saw someone mention Stroud above but I want to point out, Houston already had some legit pieces in place including weapons like Dell, Nico, Shultz, Tunsil, solid O-Line, etc. Pats still have a way to go.

« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2024, 09:15:45 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
How about another planet trade number three to Minnesota for Jefferson. Also trade for fields.  Assuming we get some extra pics in the trade with Minnesota, used him for bolstering, the office of line and other needs. It will take big money to extend Jefferson and fields, but the cap keeps going off.

If the Pats don't like Daniels and Maye, I would love this. Trade #3 for Jefferson, #11, 2024 3rd rounder + 2025 1st rounder. You can still add a legit OT prospect or WR prospect at #11, or even use that pick outright or trade down further to take a QB like McCarthy/Nix/Penix if you go that route.

I have a slight conspiracy that the Bears are asking a lot back for Fields, which is why he's still with Chicago. A few of his suitors like Steelers and Falcons found other QBs. I wouldn't count out the possibility that he remains Chicago's backup and hits FA in 2025.

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2024, 09:21:08 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

If the Pats don't like Daniels and Maye, I would love this. Trade #3 for Jefferson, #11, 2024 3rd rounder + 2025 1st rounder. You can still add a legit OT prospect or WR prospect at #11, or even use that pick outright or trade down further to take a QB like McCarthy/Nix/Penix if you go that route.

I have a slight conspiracy that the Bears are asking a lot back for Fields, which is why he's still with Chicago. A few of his suitors like Steelers and Falcons found other QBs. I wouldn't count out the possibility that he remains Chicago's backup and hits FA in 2025.

Well if that’s the offer for #3, take it fast before they come to their senses. J

« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2024, 09:23:38 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Well if that’s the offer for #3, take it fast before they come to their senses. J

Only if they really don't like Maye or Daniels. I would still prefer the franchise QB. They need to really evaluate this properly and make a firm decision. I don't want to take a QB just for the sake of taking one, otherwise you basically run into another Mac Jones situation.

« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2024, 09:26:15 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

I think the Bears would rather cave on their trade demands then keep both Williams and Fields in the same locker room. His trade market isn't huge right now after ATL. Washington, NE, NYG, Minn, NO and Denver appear need a QB. I think he will end up with the Giants for a 3rd rounder.