Author Topic: Mac Jones vs Jimmy G  (Read 2217 times)

Mac Jones vs Jimmy G
« on: September 25, 2023, 10:46:13 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

Mac Jones 66.3% completion percentage.  41 td to 26 picks and 6.6 yards per attempt so far in his career.  The number that isn't so great is 17 and 17 his record in those games.

Jimmy G has an NFL record of 67.6% completion.  Nfl record 8.2 yards per attempt. 92 Tds to 48 picks. His record so far in his often injured career is 41 wins to 19 losses. Jimmy is already 32 years old.

Going forward the next 5 years would you rather have Jimmy or Mac Jones. Is that 17 and 17 record for Mac his fault? Or is it no coincidence that Jimmy G has won games in every stop In his NFL career.

Re: Mac Jones vs Jimmy G
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2023, 10:51:37 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Mac Jones - age 25.  Hasn't reached his peak yet.

Jimmy Garoppolo - soon to be age 32 in Nov.  Peak is behind him.

This is a no brainer.  Mac Jones.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2023, 11:12:10 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
I see it as an interesting exercise to compare Mac and Jimmy, but they are at different points in their.  I look at it more as can Mac Jones become Jimmy G or even better.  Garoppolo has led a team to the super bowl.  He was always a very accurate QB who could find the open guy, understood the scheme and could process at the speed necessary.  But Mac is probably better at 25 than Garoppolo was at 25.  Garoppolo had less opportunity then but we got to see him a fair amount between preseason and injury fill in.

If you want to compare them based on what they can do right now, Garoppolo is better.  He probably is not going to last 5 more seasons though.  You pick Garoppolo over Mac if you are a contending team or think you could be one, like the Jets for example.  Mac seems like the better option for the Patriots though.  Good enough now, but way better long term value.  Mac could be a good QB for the next 10 or more seasons.

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2023, 11:35:10 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1436
The amount of dysfunction that Mac has had to deal with after his rookie season compared to Jimmy G is night and day.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2023, 11:59:16 AM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1676
Is anybody outside of Las Vegas actually confident in Garoppolo at this point?  He's aging and often-injured.  Not a guy I'd pick for a late-career renaissance.  I think Mac's upside is limited but I'd take him before Garoppolo going forward, no question. 

Also I'd dispute the idea that their respective records are relevant to their value as players.  Garoppolo played on an absolutely loaded SF team.  Mac had a year of Matt Patricia as OC and his surrounding offensive talent has been patchwork at best.  Much different situations. 

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2023, 12:32:30 PM »

Offline W8ting2McHale

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 91
I see it as an interesting exercise to compare Mac and Jimmy, but they are at different points in their.  I look at it more as can Mac Jones become Jimmy G or even better.  Garoppolo has led a team to the super bowl.  He was always a very accurate QB who could find the open guy, understood the scheme and could process at the speed necessary.  But Mac is probably better at 25 than Garoppolo was at 25.  Garoppolo had less opportunity then but we got to see him a fair amount between preseason and injury fill in.

If you want to compare them based on what they can do right now, Garoppolo is better.  He probably is not going to last 5 more seasons though.  You pick Garoppolo over Mac if you are a contending team or think you could be one, like the Jets for example.  Mac seems like the better option for the Patriots though.  Good enough now, but way better long term value.  Mac could be a good QB for the next 10 or more seasons.

Coming in I actually thought it was going to be comparison of Mac at 25 to Jimmy G at 25. 

For people that haven’t already given up on Mac, it probably would be an interesting exercise. Did you like Jimmy G? Do you think Mac is comparable skill and talent wise? Those that have given up on Mac are looking to replace him, and will wish for anyone but him.

Dolphin fans were doing the same to Tua as recently as last year. Two years prior it was “Tua’s just a game manager with a noodle arm, he’ll need to be surrounded by weapons to succeed.” Then last season he had weapons and was playing like an MVP candidate before getting hurt, and that changed to “He’s injury prone, availability is an ability.” We have the weapons, we just need a QB we can count on or an All-Pro line to protect Tua.

So far this season Tua is staying clean and lighting up the league. He and Mac both came from the same program and had some of the same attributes and criticisms coming out. Miami has added weapons for Tua. He’s able to get the ball out quickly which mitigates some of their protection issues and his line is keeping him clean this year. Only one sack through 3 games.

Not taking hits is a huge deal for developing quarterbacks. Mac hasn’t had that luxury yet, or the weapons. He’s not Tom Brady, and Tua isn’t Dan Marino, but Tua’s having success after getting time to play himself. Mac might just be a Chad Pennington, but it’s too early to know given the circumstances.

« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2023, 01:57:37 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Would Jimmy G be any better than 1-2 with this Pats team right now?

I don't think so.   Besides experience, what would he really be bringing to the table that the Pats don't already have at this point?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2023, 02:43:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Jimmy G benefitted big time from being on a loaded Niners team. They made the SB in 2019, but that was largely in spite of him, and when he actually had to make plays against KC, he simply couldn't. Purdy has a great record with SF now too, does that make him elite?

He's also oft-hurt (and now on concussion protocol btw).

Mac Jones 100%. Jimmy G actually has WR1 too on both SF before, and LAV now
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2023, 04:16:41 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
You want neither for the next 5 years.  I'd be very surprised if Mac got a 2nd contract in NE.  Somewhere else, sure, but not in NE. I think they will try to upgrade like the Browns did with Baker.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2023, 08:27:24 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge
You want neither for the next 5 years.  I'd be very surprised if Mac got a 2nd contract in NE.  Somewhere else, sure, but not in NE. I think they will try to upgrade like the Browns did with Baker.

You think Bill and Bob are going to give up 3 first round picks for an elite QB and then pay that player $200M+?  ???
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2023, 08:42:38 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

As a relatively unbiased NFL watcher that is kinda' not really a fan of the Pats, I've got to say something ...

I've never seen it with Mac. Even at his best. His arm is worse than Andy Dalton's, and he's not as good of a game manager. He has no velocity and he can't stretch the field with deep throws.

I just do not get it. I know he had the hype around the draft, but even then I didn't get it.

If the Pats could somehow get Jimmy G, they'd immediately be a better team, and with their defense, could make some noise in the post-season.

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2023, 09:00:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

You think Bill and Bob are going to give up 3 first round picks for an elite QB and then pay that player $200M+?  ???
Yes because that is what I meant.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2023, 09:20:39 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Danny Ainge

Yes because that is what I meant.

Well, that’s what the Browns had to do in order to upgrade from Baker Mayfield.