Author Topic: Blind Sided?  (Read 7811 times)

Re: Blind Sided?
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2023, 12:27:58 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
 :'(
Although it's accurate that Oher's father didn't acknowledge him, and his mother left him due to crack use, the true evil lies with the white family who provided him with a supportive environment that allowed him to thrive and eventually reach the NFL.

He was a top five OT prospect in the country before those white saviors rescued him through fake adoption and taking control of his financial affairs.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2023, 08:41:12 AM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321
Although it's accurate that Oher's father didn't acknowledge him, and his mother left him due to crack use, the true evil lies with the white family who provided him with a supportive environment that allowed him to thrive and eventually reach the NFL.

I think your position would be strengthened if this didn't appear to be so transactional. No family is perfect, but ultimately, they should be there to help each other without the hope of a future payday. The Tuohys already had enough money. There was no reason for them to nickle and dime this young man, and then lie about the details of the payments. There was no reason that there needed to be a conservatorship, or Michael had to go to Ole Miss, where the Tuohys were active boosters. This is definitely shady.

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2023, 09:19:41 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The studio says the family got paid $767,000.

So, a far cry from the "$14,000 each" claim made by the father, but also not in the realm of "millions" sought by Oher.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blind-side-producers-detail-payouts-that-michael-oher-tuohy-family-received-053807875.html

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2023, 10:58:18 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

So, a far cry from the "$14,000 each" claim made by the father, but also not in the realm of "millions" sought by Oher.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blind-side-producers-detail-payouts-that-michael-oher-tuohy-family-received-053807875.html
Oher's claim is more than the movie though.  He says they've profited off his name, image, likeness in other ways.  The 767k is in line with what the Tuohy's attorneys said recently i.e. around 100k for all 5 people (with the production company's share, taxes, etc. that isn't far off).  The real question is, is there other things they were doing woth Oher's name?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 11:07:31 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2023, 11:59:55 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 264
  • International Superstar
:'(

He was a top five OT prospect in the country before those white saviors rescued him through fake adoption and taking control of his financial affairs.

Let's not sully the narrative with facts, please. What JSD's bringing up doesn't matter, because it's entirely possible for the family to put the kid in a position to succeed and profit off of his name, likeness, and career unjustly. In fact, that seems pretty clearly what has happened.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2023, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 321

Oher's claim is more than the movie though.  He says they've profited off his name, image, likeness in other ways.  The 767k is in line with what the Tuohy's attorneys said recently i.e. around 100k for all 5 people (with the production company's share, taxes, etc. that isn't far off).  The real question is, is there other things they were doing woth Oher's name?

Yes, just check out this website: https://www.leighannetuohy.com/shop-2/

She calls herself the inspirational matriarch of the Tuohy family. I think we could call her a money grubbing scam artist, especially after hearing how the family is understating profits.

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2023, 03:57:10 PM »

Online tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
He continued, "We contacted lawyers who had told us that we couldn't adopt over the age of 18; the only thing we could do was to have a conservatorship. We were so concerned it was on the up-and-up that we made sure the biological mother came to court."

Yeah, I know that many states allow adult adoption, including Tennessee:

https://chattanoogatnlawfirm.com/chattanooga-adoption-lawyer/adult/#:~:text=The%20transfer%20of%20all%20parental,quite%20simply%2C%20just%20requires%20consent.

It sounds like a pretty easy process there.  I don't know if that's where they were residing at the time, but if it is they must have consulted with some terrible attorneys.  Or, good attorneys for purposes of controlling their ward's finances.  Shrug.

The Tuohy family lives in Mississippi, not Tennessee, which is where Ohr is from. Ohr was living in Miss with the family when the adoption question came up. So, wouldn't it be the adoption laws of Miss, not Tenn that would be the issue here ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2023, 04:42:55 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
He continued, "We contacted lawyers who had told us that we couldn't adopt over the age of 18; the only thing we could do was to have a conservatorship. We were so concerned it was on the up-and-up that we made sure the biological mother came to court."

Yeah, I know that many states allow adult adoption, including Tennessee:

https://chattanoogatnlawfirm.com/chattanooga-adoption-lawyer/adult/#:~:text=The%20transfer%20of%20all%20parental,quite%20simply%2C%20just%20requires%20consent.

It sounds like a pretty easy process there.  I don't know if that's where they were residing at the time, but if it is they must have consulted with some terrible attorneys.  Or, good attorneys for purposes of controlling their ward's finances.  Shrug.

The Tuohy family lives in Mississippi, not Tennessee, which is where Ohr is from. Ohr was living in Miss with the family when the adoption question came up. So, wouldn't it be the adoption laws of Miss, not Tenn that would be the issue here ?

Mississippi allows adult adoption, as well.