Poll

After all the moves, do you trust him to make any moves in the future?

Yes!
59 (92.2%)
No, he's horrible!
2 (3.1%)
I don't know.
3 (4.7%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Author Topic: Do you trust Ainge now?  (Read 9617 times)

Re: Do you trust Ainge now?
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2017, 10:39:34 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Does Ainge get a lot of bashing around here? I think at the time of the deal, some people were upset mostly because they felt Pierce and Garnett deserved a say in whether they wanted to finish in green. I don't think anybody thought the return wasn't great, because it was. At that point Pierce and Garnett were past their primes, even a homer could see that. To get that many first rounders for them was a steal.

Now, we don't know what happened behind the scenes. It could have been that they told Pierce and Garnett the team would probably have to rebuild and the response was they were not interested in that, only they didn't want to declare it publicly. In that case, the team could have said fine, we'll take the PR hit for you guys.

I certainly have criticized Ainge in the past for draft choices (specifically missing Giannis) but I never thought he was a bad GM, nor did I expect him to be perfect. It should be OK to complain without it being considered "bashing."

Also, it seems strange to applaud Ainge for the ping pong balls falling right. Our best odds were to finish fourth. Would you still be making this post if that had happened?

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2017, 10:42:32 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
So if Ainge got the 4th pick tonight (the most likely scenario) and the Cavs sweep us do we trust him a whole lot then?

Just curious how this all works.

Go research my posts from the last week. The answer then was "yes" as I said making the ECF and getting a top 4 pick was a wildly successful year.

Danny's not perfect but he's a darn sight better than most any other GM in the league (San Antonio notwithstanding).
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2017, 10:47:15 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1561
Ainge is a top 5 GM. Never understood why he gets bashed like he does. Show me a perfect GM. Bet you can't.

yup. DA is ranked #4 in the NBA
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2017, 10:49:24 PM »

Online CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 874
  • GOT IT!!!
Does Ainge get a lot of bashing around here? I think at the time of the deal, some people were upset mostly because they felt Pierce and Garnett deserved a say in whether they wanted to finish in green. I don't think anybody thought the return wasn't great, because it was. At that point Pierce and Garnett were past their primes, even a homer could see that. To get that many first rounders for them was a steal.

Now, we don't know what happened behind the scenes. It could have been that they told Pierce and Garnett the team would probably have to rebuild and the response was they were not interested in that, only they didn't want to declare it publicly. In that case, the team could have said fine, we'll take the PR hit for you guys.

I certainly have criticized Ainge in the past for draft choices (specifically missing Giannis) but I never thought he was a bad GM, nor did I expect him to be perfect. It should be OK to complain without it being considered "bashing."

Also, it seems strange to applaud Ainge for the ping pong balls falling right. Our best odds were to finish fourth. Would you still be making this post if that had happened?

Certain posters pop up when something goes bad to take shots. Gets old to sift through that when building a contender takes both skill and luck. Feels like a lack of respect for a great GM.

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2017, 10:54:21 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Lets wait to see who he picks first but at the moment yes

Also remember the Brooklyn trade was only done as plan B because the " KG/Doc for Deandre Jordan " trade was Veto-ed by the NBA : http://www.upi.com/Sports_News/2013/06/21/Stern-NBA-ready-to-veto-Clippers-Celtics-trade/7641371829743/

Not a bad plan B, don't think anyone thought the nets would fall off so hard so fast

« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2017, 10:56:58 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1410
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Two words: Justise. Winslow.

Never forget.  Michael Jordan saved him from himself. Danny's earned a lot of good will, but he's not infallible. No human is.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2017, 11:00:21 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
Two words: Justise. Winslow.

Never forget.  Michael Jordan saved him from himself. Danny's earned a lot of good will, but he's not infallible. No human is.

Unconfirmed. Rumor.

« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2017, 11:01:34 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Lol the Winslow thing is always funny when people bring it up

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2017, 11:01:50 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
How is this even a question.  Ainge is on his way to legendary status.  Arguably the best GM today.  Not really sure what more people want from him?

« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2017, 11:09:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
How is this even a question.  Ainge is on his way to legendary status.  Arguably the best GM today.  Not really sure what more people want from him?
I want him to get it right. Like almost all the time. No more KOs over Giannis. No more players out of the league in a few years (with DeAndre Jordan on the board).

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2017, 11:12:35 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
I want him to get it right. Like almost all the time. No more KOs over Giannis. No more players out of the league in a few years (with DeAndre Jordan on the board).
Measured against perfection, everybody fails.  Lots of people missed on the two examples you cited.

« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2017, 11:12:43 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2706

No GM gets it right 100% of the time. What Ainge has accomplished in his tenure as GM thus far is amazing though.

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 11:13:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Measured against perfection, everybody fails.  Lots of people missed on the two examples you cited.
These weren't exactly tough unforeseeable decisions.

« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2017, 11:14:37 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

Lol get real.

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2017, 11:14:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

No GM gets it right 100% of the time. What Ainge has accomplished in his tenure as GM thus far is amazing though.
I think what the Spurs and Warriors have accomplished is amazing. That's what happens when you pick guys like Draymond Green instead of whoever Ainge picked.