Author Topic: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas  (Read 33783 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas
« Reply #225 on: June 09, 2023, 08:18:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
The trade proposal I'm hearing is Anfernee Simmons plus the Blazer's #3 overall pick for Jaylen Brown.

Is that enough or hard pass?

article:  https://clutchpoints.com/blazers-perfect-jaylen-brown-trade-offer-portland-damian-lillard

I guess it depends. Are people okay lowering your chances of winning the title, maybe significantly, in the next two years on the tehoeyr that MAYBE you increase it years 3-6? Because i think Scoot could be good, even very good, but 19 year old PG's usually take a couple years until they actually contribute to winning.

Yes. I am willing to take a short term step back for a better long term opportunity. Tatum is still young enough for that. The team will still be very good in the interim period possibly even still a title contender with Scoot & A Simons instead of Jaylen. If not, it'll be a title contender again in the near future.

I like Scoot to be able to play a role similar to a young Tony Parker on the 2002 team that lost to the Lakers and the 2003 team that won the title in TP's first two years in the NBA. Not a star role but a contributor. A Simons will likely make a larger contribution in the immediate future. He can be a strong offensive weapon next to Tatum.

« Reply #226 on: June 09, 2023, 11:34:09 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549
The trade proposal I'm hearing is Anfernee Simmons plus the Blazer's #3 overall pick for Jaylen Brown.

article:  https://clutchpoints.com/blazers-perfect-jaylen-brown-trade-offer-portland-damian-lillard

I guess it depends. Are people okay lowering your chances of winning the title, maybe significantly, in the next two years on the tehoeyr that MAYBE you increase it years 3-6? Because i think Scoot could be good, even very good, but 19 year old PG's usually take a couple years until they actually contribute to winning.

Yes. I am willing to take a short term step back for a better long term opportunity. Tatum is still young enough for that. The team will still be very good in the interim period possibly even still a title contender with Scoot & A Simons instead of Jaylen. If not, it'll be a title contender again in the near future.

I like Scoot to be able to play a role similar to a young Tony Parker on the 2002 team that lost to the Lakers and the 2003 team that won the title in TP's first two years in the NBA. Not a star role but a contributor. A Simons will likely make a larger contribution in the immediate future. He can be a strong offensive weapon next to Tatum.

Fair enough. I would be absolutely shocked if the front office followed that approach. Tatum will be 26 come next playoffs, the team is stacked with late twenties vets, its win now time not wait three years time.

« Reply #227 on: June 10, 2023, 08:22:28 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Fair enough. I would be absolutely shocked if the front office followed that approach. Tatum will be 26 come next playoffs, the team is stacked with late twenties vets, its win now time not wait three years time.
I agree, which is why you only do that sort of trade if you have a second trade lined up for 3 where you get a win now player.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #228 on: June 10, 2023, 10:07:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you

I will throw on the caveat that all it takes is ONE GM to believe that they can get Brown to re-sign after the seaosn. Its just hard to see where the fit is. If somebody wants to blow you away of course the c's consider it, but Siakam for Brown isn't a blow you away level move.

Atlanta or Houston (with Ime) are probably your biggest guarantees on getting Brown to re-sign or even extend if he was traded there.

There are players that would make interesting additions from these teams (Trae, Murray, Collins, Hunter from ATL or Green, Sengun, #4, Jabari from HOU - obviously not all of these pieces), but it would still require quite a major shake-up on our part.

I like Jalen Green more than Anfernee Simons, but #4 doesn't have the value of #3. If we are flipping that pick anyway, I wonder who we could get for that pick.

« Reply #229 on: June 11, 2023, 10:28:55 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
You can sell me on

Murray, Bey and Collins
for
JB and Smart

« Reply #230 on: June 13, 2023, 08:03:36 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
I know this would never happen, but would you trade Brown for Butler straight up.

« Reply #231 on: June 13, 2023, 08:23:10 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
I know this would never happen, but would you trade Brown for Butler straight up.

Yes. Brown has a lot of the skills, but he hasn't played the junkyard dog role like Butler. I don't care about the difference in age.  I'm ready for the Celtics to win a championship next year.

« Reply #232 on: June 13, 2023, 08:32:23 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I think some also forget that Tatum only has 2 years left on his deal before he can opt out. He's not guaranteed to resign when the time comes and we shouldn't just assume he will be.

And Scoot might be good. People also predicted that Markelle Fultz was going to be the next great point guard.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #233 on: June 13, 2023, 08:34:52 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
No. Too old. If Jimmy was 3 years younger, yes. I worry about how well he'll age without a strong jump-shot to lean back on. Slashers tend not to age as well as high caliber shooters.

« Reply #234 on: June 13, 2023, 09:29:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
No. Too old. If Jimmy was 3 years younger, yes. I worry about how well he'll age without a strong jump-shot to lean back on. Slashers tend not to age as well as high caliber shooters.
I thought it was a fascinating case study because I agree with everything you say here, but I also think had the trade been made last summer, Boston probably is winning a championship sometime this week.  Butler seems to have everything this particular team needs, which is why I thought it was an interesting hypothetical. 

« Reply #235 on: June 13, 2023, 09:36:23 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

And his knee injury history scares me. I don't think he's going to hold up through the rest of his contract.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #236 on: June 14, 2023, 07:31:29 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
I keep seeing Charlotte thoughts pop up.

The latest idea is:

BOS: Ball, Richards, 2025 1st, 2026 2nd
CHA: Brown

The thought process is that they have Rozier and Bridges so the offensive shortcomings they saw wouldn't be there.  Then, the Hornets would draft Henderson at 2.  For the C's, Ball becomes a legit playmaker and Richards is young big.  Also, we get two picks to help with the future restocking of talent.

On a plus note, looks like Ball has moved away from BBB and over to Puma!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #237 on: June 14, 2023, 09:08:17 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I keep seeing Charlotte thoughts pop up.

The latest idea is:

BOS: Ball, Richards, 2025 1st, 2026 2nd
CHA: Brown

The thought process is that they have Rozier and Bridges so the offensive shortcomings they saw wouldn't be there.  Then, the Hornets would draft Henderson at 2.  For the C's, Ball becomes a legit playmaker and Richards is young big.  Also, we get two picks to help with the future restocking of talent.

On a plus note, looks like Ball has moved away from BBB and over to Puma!
There is no chance they trade Ball. They should take away the team from Charlotte is they do anything like that.

« Reply #238 on: June 14, 2023, 09:48:30 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
I think some also forget that Tatum only has 2 years left on his deal before he can opt out. He's not guaranteed to resign when the time comes and we shouldn't just assume he will be.

And Scoot might be good. People also predicted that Markelle Fultz was going to be the next great point guard.

I believe that is correct that Tatum has only 2 years left (2023-24 and 2024-25) but then a player option in 2025-26.  He is eligible for a supermax extension so long as he stays with the Celtics (I am not exactly sure how the option year plays into that).  Nothing is guaranteed of course but I think it is pretty reasonable to assume it is highly likely that Tatum stays a Celtic, at least for the next contract, a supermax contract.

And the idea of trading Brown for a draft pick, such as the #3, I think the 2017 draft is a perfect cautionary tale.  The draft went:

Fultz
Ball
Tatum
Jackson (Josh)
Fox

So in the top 5, there is only one that you can say for sure turned out better than Brown (Tatum).  Then you have Fox who is good, comparable to Brown, but not quite as good.  And then 3 that are clearly disappointments, would result in the trade being a terrible trade.  Those are about the odds every year.  In the top 3, there will be a star (maybe, and you still need to wait a few seasons), a decent player, and a dud.  Every year is different of course, but this is about the norm.

Why would the Celtics want to trade an already top player for a role of the dice to maybe get a player who at best will not be as good as Brown for a few season and more likely will never be as good as Brown?  It just doesn't make sense to me.

« Reply #239 on: June 14, 2023, 10:09:59 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
Can someone explain to me why Charlotte would trade an arguably better player in Lamelo Ball (who is still on a rookie contract), for Jaylen Brown (who is eligible for a max extension)? I've seen this idea floated around in other threads too, and it makes no sense.