Author Topic: Offseason goals, targets  (Read 10690 times)

Re: Offseason goals, targets
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 02:31:26 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
If the C's prove this post season that they are still contenders, then I think the starting line up should remain intact.

From there the C's should try to land a scorer off the bench - Mike Miller, Al Harrington, McGrady or Kyle Korver types - if they fall to the MLE zone.

A versatile athletic guy like Outlaw would be cool instead as well.

If the C's crash and burn, its time to start getting guys who can run with Rondo.

I like Harrington, but my ideal player to add to the bench would be someone who can defend long SFs and also play PF depending on matchups....

not really sure what kind of market there will be for Harrington. I could actually see him staying on the NYK.

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 02:32:49 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Rudy Gay will be a restricted free agent this offseason. He might be a nice addition to our team.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »

Kiorrik

I know there is plenty of bball to play but my mind wanders.
I think our #1 priority this summer is to improve our hight and athleticism and try and grab a young big with potential to intern behind KG.

Travis Outlaw brings height and athleticism to the SF spot. we could probably get him for the MLE. An alternative would be Hakim Warrick.

Young bigs with potential are rare and expensive. i hold out hope that we could swap Perk and filler for Anthony Randolph.
any big we get would probably require us loosing Perk. i don't think this is a terrible idea. swapping him for a player who better matches rondo's style may have a negative effect on our D. however if rondo is the team's leader of the future matching his style is the way to get back into contention.

other bigs to look at? small forwards?
Okay - okay - okay.

My first reaction was: I should make a post here about how premature this thread is. About how I don't want to trade anyone, how I love this team and how it's absolutely ridiculous to talk about this.

However, it is not.

After the initial jerking of my knee, I must say I'm honestly quite excited about what we can do this off-season. We have some trading chips and it's going to be a very interesting time.

I wouldn't mind if nothing happened, as long as there is a good reason for this.

And then there's my love for the current roster, but when I think about it, it wouldn't hurt to actually have some major changes so we can cheer for some "new blood".

Man, I just feel like we want to be excited again. It's been a while since we really believed in this team, isn't it?

[/emotional rant]

« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 02:43:21 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Rudy Gay will be a restricted free agent this offseason. He might be a nice addition to our team.

We don't have capspace to go after someone like that, unless it were a sign and trade...and we probably don't have what it takes to do that sign and trade.

« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 02:43:46 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

Gay and any of the highly desired restricted FA's will cost more than the MLE, plus their current would sure match an offer that low.

It is very hard to pry the young gems from their current teams. You need the right kind of package to offer for a sign and trade. The Celtics don't really have that (unless you want to move Perkins or Rondo).  :(

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2010, 02:50:16 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Perk for Randolph would be an interesting trade.  The toughest part of that trade is that Perk is not a very good fit for GS's system, and he wouldn't really be a great match playing next to Biedrins.

I also don't think Tyrus Thomas is a realistic target.  He is a restricted FA, so we would likely have to overpay for him, and if Danny really wanted him that much, he could have traded for him himself.

didn't realize TT was restricted. he's the type of player we need, though. we need a player with size and athleticism....someone at least 6'8" and someone who can also step out and defend the perimeter.

not sure who else fits that bill.

Unfortunately, guys like that are nearly impossible to find in FA, unless you have cap space to go above the MLE.  And if you can find them, there is generally a reason.

If the C's are going to get someone like that, it will have to be either through the draft, or trade.

How about this...with the Knicks pick sitting at #8 currently, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that Utah trades it.  So why not work out a sign and trade with them for Ray and Perk (and maybe the C's pick) for Kirilenko and the Knicks pick.

That gives the Jazz a tough, inside presence on defense that they have been missing, and the best SG they have had since I can remember, and they get Kirilenko off the books.  

And the C's get a lottery pick (this would have to be after the draft, so it would be for whoever they ended up drafting), and an athletic 3/4, who might respond well to the change in scenery.

hmmm...I don't know if UTA will trade that pick, although I could see them having interest in Ray.

I'm not really seeing a lot of guys worthy of #8 pick that I am all that excited about either.

Like I mentioned I like Delroy James and I also like Stanley Robinson from UConn, but we could probably get them around our actual pick...

What do you think about Travis Outlaw?

I disagree about the pick.  I think if it is that low, Utah could absolutely trade it, if they can help themselves win now, while still staying in good financial shape.  I also think there are some nice players available there, with a lot of upside.

As for Outlaw, I am a big fan.  He would be a major target for me. 

Amir Johnson

Good call.  He would be a nice pickup for the 4th big man spot.  He has been an overall disappointment, but if you put him in this system, and get him working with Clifford Ray and KG, and he could turn out to be a player.

I forget, was he a guy that Danny really liked in the draft, or was that Mark Blount Jr. down in Washington?
Yeah, it was Amir Johnson that Danny liked. He was on the board at the end of the second round. I think Blatche went early in the second.

Amir Johnson will cost around $4 million to bring over. I'd be bringing him in here to replace Sheed as the first big off the bench and to give Amir 25 minutes a night backing up KG + Perk. Same with Tyrus if Boston went after him.

I am not sure Johnson will cost that much.  I have a feeling that after the elite players are gone, a lot of teams are going to be closing their wallets, and squeezing the 3rd and 4th tier players.  Johnson, while still having a ton of potential, has been a big disappointment.  He has not been able to do much more in Toronto than he did in Detroit, where he was salary dumped from.  Perhaps a team might throw that kind of money at him, but I think more likely, he is going to be looking at a $2-3.5 million per year deal. 

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2010, 02:50:35 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK
The first person I thought of was Josh Childress. I realize that even if he were to come back from playing in Greece his rights are still owned by Atlanta, however I saw something the other day that the Hawks GM isn't nearly as high on Childress as the GM that drafted him was. There's also the question of whether or not we can offer him enough money. Thoughts? Maybe an explanation of how we could make this work?
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2010, 02:55:20 PM »

Kiorrik

The first person I thought of was Josh Childress. I realize that even if he were to come back from playing in Greece his rights are still owned by Atlanta, however I saw something the other day that the Hawks GM isn't nearly as high on Childress as the GM that drafted him was. There's also the question of whether or not we can offer him enough money. Thoughts? Maybe an explanation of how we could make this work?
Hahaha, I was aware that Josh was "away from the NBA", but I never ever knew where he was. So at some point I was watching this European sports channel, and there was this guy on the bench in some Greek league. I saw him from above and I was like "Hah! Josh Childress!" I was quite surprised when the announcers actually confirmed him being Josh :D

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2010, 02:55:42 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

If the Hawks manage to resign Joe Johnson, I think Childress becomes very available. I can't imagine the Hawks signing Johnson and Childress, with Horford needing a massive contract to begin one year later. ...not to mention paying Jamal Crawford if they want to keep him.

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
My off season, which by the way is constantly changing:

Re-sign Ray Allen to a 2 year, decelerating $15 million contract($8.5 million in year one, $6.5 million in year two) and if possible make the second year a 50% guaranteed year.

Re-sign Tony Allen to a 2 year $4-5 million contract

Trade Rasheed Wallace and a 2011 2nd round pick to the Charlotte Bobcats for Nazr Mohammed.

Sign James Singleton and Raja Bell to veteran minimum contracts

Sign either Rasual Butler or Travis Outlaw to a three year contract using as little of the MLE as possible but if it requires the MLE. get it done.

Do a sign and trade in which the C's sign and trade Nate Robinson to the Golden State Warriors for a sign and trade of CJ Watson

Find a way in the first round of the draft to draft either Damion James or Quincy Pondexter and find a way to draft in the second round Sherron Collins.

So next year's team is

PG: Rajon Rondo/CJ Watson/Sherron Collins
SG: Ray Allen/Raja Bell/Tony Allen
SF: Paul Pierce/Travis Outlaw or Rasual Butler/Damion James or Quincy Pondexter
PF: Kevin Garnett/Glen Davis/James Singleton
C; Kendrick Perkins/Nazr Mohammed

« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2010, 03:05:11 PM »

Offline Ohio Celtics Fan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 18
  • GM - NYK

Re-sign Ray Allen to a 2 year, decelerating $15 million contract($8.5 million in year one, $6.5 million in year two) and if possible make the second year a 50% guaranteed year.

Trade Rasheed Wallace and a 2011 2nd round pick to the Charlotte Bobcats for Nazr Mohammed.

Sign either Rasual Butler or Travis Outlaw to a three year contract using as little of the MLE as possible but if it requires the MLE. get it done.

Do a sign and trade in which the C's sign and trade Nate Robinson to the Golden State Warriors for a sign and trade of CJ Watson

Find a way in the first round of the draft to draft either Damion James or Quincy Pondexter and find a way to draft in the second round Sherron Collins.

So next year's team is

Congratulations sir, you win. I love this idea, I'm going to patch you through to Danny right now.
CB Draft - New York Knicks
PG: George Hill / Nate Robinson
SG: Dwyane Wade / Gerald Henderson / Christian Eyenga
SF:  Grant Hill / Paul George / Earl Clark
PF:  Kenyon Martin / Jordan Hill / (Earl Clark)
C:   Greg Oden / Kurt Thomas / Hilton Armstong

« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2010, 03:10:43 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

So next year's team is

I too like these ideas Nick, but I'm hoping we can get more youth in the starting lineup, but I don't think that is possible to happen other than a sign and trade.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2010, 03:23:50 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

So next year's team is

That'll be a homerun...and now your TP count should read 2222. :)
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2010, 03:33:02 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

So next year's team is

I too like these ideas Nick, but I'm hoping we can get more youth in the starting lineup, but I don't think that is possible to happen other than a sign and trade.

Yeah, I wouldn't count on that next season.  I think you will see it in the next 2-3 years, but I expect them to go into next season with a very similar starting rotation to what they have right now.  I think Danny is going to be patient with the rebuilding of this team, and just try to not make any mistakes with longterm contracts, and work on collecting assets to be prepared to make a move when it presents itself.  

This trade deadline, he had his first opportunity to kickstart the process, but the right move didn't present itself.  He will have another chance this summer with Ray in a sign and trade, as well as someone like Perk.  He then has another chance at next years deadline, with Pierce, Perk and Davis all in the last year of their contracts.  Then next summer, they will have Sheed and KG as expiring contracts.  So that is a lot of chances to make something happen, before he even gets to a summer where they have enough cap space to throw money at someone.  

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2010, 03:49:28 PM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
If the C's prove this post season that they are still contenders, then I think the starting line up should remain intact.

From there the C's should try to land a scorer off the bench - Mike Miller, Al Harrington, McGrady or Kyle Korver types - if they fall to the MLE zone.

A versatile athletic guy like Outlaw would be cool instead as well.

If the C's crash and burn, its time to start getting guys who can run with Rondo.
I feel similarly and think this is a pretty solid plan through and through.  TP.