Author Topic: Offseason goals, targets  (Read 10689 times)

Offseason goals, targets
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:39:28 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406
I know there is plenty of bball to play but my mind wanders.
I think our #1 priority this summer is to improve our hight and athleticism and try and grab a young big with potential to intern behind KG.

Travis Outlaw brings height and athleticism to the SF spot. we could probably get him for the MLE. An alternative would be Hakim Warrick.

Young bigs with potential are rare and expensive. i hold out hope that we could swap Perk and filler for Anthony Randolph.
any big we get would probably require us loosing Perk. i don't think this is a terrible idea. swapping him for a player who better matches rondo's style may have a negative effect on our D. however if rondo is the team's leader of the future matching his style is the way to get back into contention.

other bigs to look at? small forwards?

Re: Offseason goals, targets
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 01:56:57 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I like Travis Outlaw and he fills a need - wing defender with athleticism. I also like Ty Thomas although I'm not sure how expensive he will be.

watching the tournaments, I actually really like the guy from URI Delroy James. He's 6'8", long, athletic. He can put the ball on the floor and has a nice looking shot. He also plays hard on defense.

He's a junior, so I don't know if he's coming out, but if I were Danny I would look hard at giving him a promise late in the first round to get him.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 02:01:05 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Like to see us pick up Bosh. How about a sign and trade with Toronto? Rondo and Baby for Bosh and Calderon?

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 02:03:47 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Perk for Randolph would be an interesting trade.  The toughest part of that trade is that Perk is not a very good fit for GS's system, and he wouldn't really be a great match playing next to Biedrins.

I also don't think Tyrus Thomas is a realistic target.  He is a restricted FA, so we would likely have to overpay for him, and if Danny really wanted him that much, he could have traded for him himself.

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 02:04:38 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Like to see us pick up Bosh. How about a sign and trade with Toronto? Rondo and Baby for Bosh and Calderon?

The money doesn't work.  Rondo will be a base year player, and even if he wasn't, the money doesn't really match up. 

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2010, 02:09:07 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Perk for Randolph would be an interesting trade.  The toughest part of that trade is that Perk is not a very good fit for GS's system, and he wouldn't really be a great match playing next to Biedrins.

I also don't think Tyrus Thomas is a realistic target.  He is a restricted FA, so we would likely have to overpay for him, and if Danny really wanted him that much, he could have traded for him himself.

didn't realize TT was restricted. he's the type of player we need, though. we need a player with size and athleticism....someone at least 6'8" and someone who can also step out and defend the perimeter.

not sure who else fits that bill.

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 02:14:00 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Jarvis Hayes? I don't know....slim pickin's

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 02:16:00 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

didn't realize TT was restricted. he's the type of player we need, though. we need a player with size and athleticism....someone at least 6'8" and someone who can also step out and defend the perimeter.

Unfortunately, guys like that are nearly impossible to find in FA, unless you have cap space to go above the MLE.  And if you can find them, there is generally a reason.

If the C's are going to get someone like that, it will have to be either through the draft, or trade.

How about this...with the Knicks pick sitting at #8 currently, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that Utah trades it.  So why not work out a sign and trade with them for Ray and Perk (and maybe the C's pick) for Kirilenko and the Knicks pick.

That gives the Jazz a tough, inside presence on defense that they have been missing, and the best SG they have had since I can remember, and they get Kirilenko off the books.  

And the C's get a lottery pick (this would have to be after the draft, so it would be for whoever they ended up drafting), and an athletic 3/4, who might respond well to the change in scenery.

« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 02:18:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2412
Amir Johnson

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 02:22:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Amir Johnson

Good call.  He would be a nice pickup for the 4th big man spot.  He has been an overall disappointment, but if you put him in this system, and get him working with Clifford Ray and KG, and he could turn out to be a player.

I forget, was he a guy that Danny really liked in the draft, or was that Mark Blount Jr. down in Washington?

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 02:23:16 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith

Tyrus Thomas is a bargain at the MLE. I don't see any problem here other than tying up some money going after a restricted free agent.

Too early to say how interested Charlotte are in retaining his services. They clearly like him and want to keep him but it's hard to put a value on that at this stage. He hasn't been with the team long enough yet.

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 02:26:12 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Ray Allen will be one of our biggest off season targets, IMO.

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 02:26:19 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Unfortunately, guys like that are nearly impossible to find in FA, unless you have cap space to go above the MLE.  And if you can find them, there is generally a reason.

If the C's are going to get someone like that, it will have to be either through the draft, or trade.

How about this...with the Knicks pick sitting at #8 currently, I don't think it is out of the realm of possibility that Utah trades it.  So why not work out a sign and trade with them for Ray and Perk (and maybe the C's pick) for Kirilenko and the Knicks pick.

That gives the Jazz a tough, inside presence on defense that they have been missing, and the best SG they have had since I can remember, and they get Kirilenko off the books.  

And the C's get a lottery pick (this would have to be after the draft, so it would be for whoever they ended up drafting), and an athletic 3/4, who might respond well to the change in scenery.

hmmm...I don't know if UTA will trade that pick, although I could see them having interest in Ray.

I'm not really seeing a lot of guys worthy of #8 pick that I am all that excited about either.

Like I mentioned I like Delroy James and I also like Stanley Robinson from UConn, but we could probably get them around our actual pick...

What do you think about Travis Outlaw?

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 02:26:57 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Amir Johnson

Good call.  He would be a nice pickup for the 4th big man spot.  He has been an overall disappointment, but if you put him in this system, and get him working with Clifford Ray and KG, and he could turn out to be a player.

I forget, was he a guy that Danny really liked in the draft, or was that Mark Blount Jr. down in Washington?
Yeah, it was Amir Johnson that Danny liked. He was on the board at the end of the second round. I think Blatche went early in the second.

Amir Johnson will cost around $4 million to bring over. I'd be bringing him in here to replace Sheed as the first big off the bench and to give Amir 25 minutes a night backing up KG + Perk. Same with Tyrus if Boston went after him.

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 02:27:03 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
If the C's prove this post season that they are still contenders, then I think the starting line up should remain intact.

From there the C's should try to land a scorer off the bench - Mike Miller, Al Harrington, McGrady or Kyle Korver types - if they fall to the MLE zone.

A versatile athletic guy like Outlaw would be cool instead as well.

If the C's crash and burn, its time to start getting guys who can run with Rondo.