Author Topic: Rondo's handles  (Read 10518 times)

Re: Rondo's handles
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2010, 03:25:15 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
and that's the thing - there are AND1 guys who can do some of these moves, but not with real defense on them.  No one in the league has handles like Rondo

I really want to start calling him McHandles...and I don't know why...

Because he and McLovin are boys.

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2010, 03:40:58 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

mchandles it is
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2010, 03:43:32 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Not self-promoting or anything, but he can be found on the new movie in this thread I had just created:
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=36473.msg717132;topicseen#new

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2010, 03:58:27 PM »

Offline buzz

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
I give it to Chris Paul, but Rondo rarely gets picked, that's for sure.

Almost all of his TOs are of the lazy/crazy pass variety.

There probably aren't stats that show this, but I'd guess that a disproportionally large percentage of Rondo's turnovers occur when we are up by more than 10.

Yeah... and many are on failed alley-oops, which for my money, is basically just a missed shot attempt rather than a TO.

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2010, 04:17:19 PM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I'm just glad he's on the C's. I've been a huge Rondo fan since his rookie year, when Doc used to sit him in favor of Sebastian Telfair- I'm still p---ed about that!
The guy makes three or four plays/game that are almost supernatural.
And to anyone(like Max, apparently) who thinks he's being too "cute", I'll take 18 assists and 2 turnovers anytime.

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2010, 04:47:15 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Rondo is a great ball handler, but Deron Williams is the best ball handler i've ever seen. He routinely does everything that Rondo does with the ball, and then some. I love Rondo, but Williams deserves this honor. He changes direction quicker than anybody.

Agreed. When I think of my fav PG in the league, its a toss up of the two. I like Rondo's best defense better, but Dwill can break ankles and hit 3s consistently.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2010, 04:58:22 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
I think half of his turnovers where ones that hit our guys right in the hands. Some of his pass are so quick that are own guys aren't ready for them.

I give it to Chris Paul, but Rondo rarely gets picked, that's for sure.

Almost all of his TOs are of the lazy/crazy pass variety.

There probably aren't stats that show this, but I'd guess that a disproportionally large percentage of Rondo's turnovers occur when we are up by more than 10.

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2010, 06:01:39 PM »

Offline buzz

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 29
Rondo is a great ball handler, but Deron Williams is the best ball handler i've ever seen. He routinely does everything that Rondo does with the ball, and then some. I love Rondo, but Williams deserves this honor. He changes direction quicker than anybody.

Agreed. When I think of my fav PG in the league, its a toss up of the two. I like Rondo's best defense better, but Dwill can break ankles and hit 3s consistently.

DWill has a nasty crossover, but IMO CP3 definitely has better overall handles.

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2010, 06:22:29 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Rondo's dribbles are amazing and you can tell he loves to experiment some of them in games (as in "I've never tried this one outside of practice, let's do it now!"). His ball-handling skills are awesome and I thought it was one of his best qualities but his dribbles last night and his "new" moves were just shocking. Never saw something like that before, the guy is a pure genius!

The video posted on this thread says it all, for me. Dribble behind the back with his LEFT hand, at full speed on the fast break to finish smoothly at the rim? Wow, just wow. :o

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

DWill has a nasty crossover, but IMO CP3 definitely has better overall handles.

Agreed. D-will's handle is elite FOR HIS SIZE at PG. I mean he's already a lesser point guard than Paul, and what keeps him close is that he can do what he does at his size for the pg position. if he were smaller, we'd be able to see the discrepancy in pure skill more than we do.

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2010, 07:24:39 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
He did it here and the stupid NCAA ref called a travel...  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yInNmLyPflk&NR=1

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 07:35:51 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3178
He did it here and the stupid NCAA ref called a travel...  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yInNmLyPflk&NR=1

It is a travel, but in todays game the Refs let it go if it looks FANTASTIC and gets the crowd going.( see James, LeBron....)

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 12:30:33 AM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Rajon has been spectacular since the day he set his amazing feel on an NBA court. He simply has it ALL!!!

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 12:37:58 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
If you're calling palming and carries that's a travel.

Of course if you called those in the NBA Derron Williams and a great many other PGs wouldn't have such lofty A/TO ratios....

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 12:40:04 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170

mchandles it is

Wow Rondo's daughter looks exactly like him right down to the expression. So cute.

Rondo is becoming more entertaining to watch everyday and I didn't think that was possible a season ago. IIRC Mike and Tommy were talking about how he approaches the game like it was geometry. That combination of creativity and the almost scientific approach is what makes him so fascinating to watch for me.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.