Author Topic: Where is the TA thread????  (Read 4050 times)

Where is the TA thread????
« on: March 25, 2010, 12:57:32 AM »

Offline CelticG1

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 288
I thought for sure there would be a thread about TA after this game. He had a pretty money game especially for a guy who has barely seen the court in several games. I don't think that he should outright take Daniels minutes (although I have thought the Daniels has received an unwarranted amount of minutes since coming back from injury) but I am hoping that this will show Doc that the guy can play and adds a lot to both sides of the court. I think with Rondo and him in the back court they play pretty good D and can create a lot of turnovers. They are also a great tandem for running the break as TA is a very fast shooting guard. TA is also very active on the offensive boards which the C's can always use.

I also think much like Quis, that TA can guard both the 2 and the 3. He gives up a few inches on the 3 but he is very strong and I like how he can stay in front of guys like Melo and Lebron so they are little more tempted to step back and launch an outside shot.

Tony Allen has not had a good stint with the Celtics but if the man can play well this season, this playoffs then thats all that matters. Maybe he shouldn't get a ton minutes but when Marquis and Finley aren't showing much I think Doc should pull the trigger quicker on Tony. I would at least like to see this when we are getting dominated by certain individuals in a game. Deron Williams on monday is a perfect example of when Doc could have thrown TA out at someone.

Re: Where is the TA thread????
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 05:42:44 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
TP. I really don't know why Marquis is playing so badly, but while he is, TA (who has been playing well all season) should get more playing time.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 06:36:14 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Hey I felt up to last week that marquis had been our best bench player at that point.  He hasn't been himself/not playing that well while TA continues to look good and honestly finley has impressed me.  Finley isn't a little old guy that can't stay with anyone and his offense is the best out of our swingmen subs. 
I really don't know what doc is going to do, daniels got 6 minutes last night so either he's hurt or doc is giving his minutes away already.  Maybe tony will make turnovers but the defensive intensity when he is in with rondo is great.
sidenote: doc also seems to be limiting sheeds minutes, maybe its a wakeup or we'll play shelden coming

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010, 07:04:35 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Good post, (TP), and TA certainly deserves props this year, as he's been giving some solid contributions. Unfortunately I have to always temper it with caution, cuz in the back of my head constantly, (where he is concerned), is this nagging thought that at any moment he could have another major injury. Yes, it can happen to anyone, but TA is injury-prone, and the chances of him coming up lame are about twice what they are for most other players. He has the athleticism of a Michael Jordan, but the durability of a Greg Oden ... here's hoping. (Crosses fingers again)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 07:29:30 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
When we didn't have a backup PG Marquis was pefect because he could handle the ball and post up smaller defenders.

Now that we have Nate i think that TA is the better player. He's better defensively, he's more aggressive offensively, and he makes good things happen.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2010, 07:55:59 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I've always been a big TA supporter and am glad that he's keeping mentally sharp and playing well this year whenever he gets time. 

I'm pleased to see that the "trade TA" threads have pretty much disappeared as the year has progressed and TA has most of his detractors giving him some praise for his play.

Heading into the postseason, I think the wing position has gone from a real weakness last year to our strength with Ray and Paul starting with TA, Finley and Quisy able to step in and each provide quality play.

I thought TA's time in Boston may be best serve coming to an end this offseason so that he could get a fresh start elsewhere but in light of his play this year, if Danny resigned TA and Finley this offseason and let Quisy go (provided they also resign Nate for back up PG) instead of them, I don't think the team will be in bad shape next year.  (I'm not saying Quisy needs to go but I'd be surprised if all 3 were brought back).

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 08:46:16 AM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I've always loved TA.
Most people on here are way too hard on him.

TP for the thread!

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 09:35:58 AM »

Offline jgod213

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 300
Everybody loves TA today, haha.  Despite all the headscratching plays that he makes, i will say i've never seen a player who can put his fingerprints on a game through pure hustle and effort like Toney can.

As Mike mentioned during the game, Toney WILL see important minutes in the playoffs because his game is defense.  He needs to cool it with the whole 3 fouls in 9 seconds thing but he'll be counted on in the playoffs - regardless of how Finley or Daniels plays.

DKC Utah Jazz
http://tinyurl.com/kqjb3cv

Starters:   Bledsoe-Gordon-Hayward-Patterson-Favors  | 6th-Kanter
Reserves: Warren-Hardaway-Plumlee-Larkin-Evans-Mbakwe-Huestis-Hummel-Calathes

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 09:41:10 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
Hey what can you say but a great game by TA.

The thing with TA is just playing his role. Please don't do too much leave the ball handling and dribbling to the guards.  You play wing and drive to hope and finish on the break and play tough defense.
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Like the man said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."  If you'd like a TA thread just make one.  Oh wait you did.  Well, good.

That said, I was as down on TA as anyone before the season started, but his play has been excellent all year.  I think he should be getting Daniels' minutes from here on out and play reserve wing next to Finley.  He's been the biggest surprise of the season bar none, and if he keeps it up he deserves to be a part of our playoff rotation.

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 09:49:52 AM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Was going to post something last night but got lazy. The bttom line is that this is about TA or Marquis. They are very similar players and for whatever reason, Marquis has been very tentative.

I posted a thread when Marquis was coming back that there simply is no room for TA to play together because neither can shoot. That I think has proven true. Of course, I assumed that Marquis would be the better player but I don't know.

TA is is certainly the better defender. Indeed, the idea that Marquis is some kind of a shutdown defender is a myth. I am not sure where it came from? Marquis has always been food not great defender.

But now decision will be difficult because TA is making it so. He can still be an idiot so I wouldn't hand over the keys to him just yet. But the bottom line is that Marquis needs to wake up or he will find himself on the bench.

And yes, Finley (as old as he is) should play becuase he provides something the others do not and that the team needs.

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 10:13:05 AM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
The logjam at the wing will be an interesting situation to follow as the playoffs near. Finley, Quis, and TA all seem to deserve pt, but not all of them can play regularly. Will Doc go by the matchups, or pick his guy and stay with him regardless of matchup? Doc has said that the 5-man bench unit will cease to exist in the postseason. That being the case, will the rotation stay at 10 or decrease the normal-sized 9-man rotation?

I think Doc should look at the matchups and platoon the three of them. Also he has the luxury of being able to go with the hot hand. If Finley's missing shots, take him out. If TA's being careless, yank him. He can afford to be impulsive as long as the three players understand that they're being platooned.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 10:57:39 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2528
I think I won't get TA satisfaction until there is a simple 'Mea Culpa' thread for TA - perhaps this can be the thread.  Not an 'I told you so thread' (I didn't)  -- but rather, one thread in which folks can just sign on one by one to endorse the fact that he has not only outplayed expectations, but that after his name took unrelenting abuse prior to his debut this season he simply showed that he deserved none of the venom.  Not a perfect player by any means, but got an out of proportion bad rap here.  His worst play was CLEARLY when he was hurt or recovering.

One more thing: His play has been solid, but his attitude has been exemplary.

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 11:03:16 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think I won't get TA satisfaction until there is a simple 'Mea Culpa' thread for TA - perhaps this can be the thread.  Not an 'I told you so thread' (I didn't)  -- but rather, one thread in which folks can just sign on one by one to endorse the fact that he has not only outplayed expectations, but that after his name took unrelenting abuse prior to his debut this season he simply showed that he deserved none of the venom.  Not a perfect player by any means, but got an out of proportion bad rap here.  His worst play was CLEARLY when he was hurt or recovering.

One more thing: His play has been solid, but his attitude has been exemplary.

Let me be the first to then say Mea Culpa.  Last offseason I'd've traded TA for a nickel and a wish.  Now I feel like he's an increasingly indispensable part of the bench.  TA has proved me and most of the board wrong.  I used to cringe whenever he checked in and now I'm optimistic.

I will say though that TA's worst play was last year, over 18 months after his injury.  I don't think that's really hurt or recovering at that point.  People cut TA some slack in 08 because of the injury, but by last year that reasoning didn't seem to explain his bad play.

I do feel bad for some of the things I said about TA, but then I remember TA probably doesn't even know this site exists, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Tony should be playing instead of Marquis.  Tony and Rondo together to me is spectacular.  Together they wreak havoc defensively on the opposition and Tony always seems to be in the right place for Rondo passes.  And he gives us an extra rebounder.  Rebounding seems better when he plays.

"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson