Author Topic: Nate : the new Eddie House?  (Read 4255 times)

Nate : the new Eddie House?
« on: March 23, 2010, 02:27:10 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
The Celtics staff kept saying that they felt that adding Nate was an improvement over Eddie because contrary to Eddie, Nate can dribble very well, drive, and create his own shot. However, so far, in 16 games as a Celtic, do you really see a difference between Eddie's game and Nate's?

The goal of the thread is not to bash Nate (frankly, I love the guy, I had big doubts about him chemistry wise when he came in but I love his energy, his game and his attitude), neither it is to discuss who is better between Eddie and Nate,  but it is to discuss Robinson's role within our offense.

Here is Nate's shot selection in the last 10 games (which is a little more than half of his games played in green).

As you can see, 32 of his 52 shot attempts have come from beyond the 3 point line.

Here is Eddie's shot selection in the last 10 games :

Once you've surmounted your shock when you've seen that Eddie has taken 10 shots in the paint in 10 games with the Knicks (probably more than he has taken for the 30 previous games with Boston ;D), you can see that he has taken 26 shots from three.

So, although it's cool to see Nate hitting 3's at the rate he hits them, here are my questions and subjects of wonder (maybe even concerns) : why is he taking so many 3's? Is it what Docs asks him to do?

I know there was a transition period when Nate arrived in Boston, during which Doc ran plays from NY for him (he still runs them now) but isn't it time to take advantage of Nate's driving skills? Especially now that we have Finley to spread the floor with the 2nd unit. It's quite really surprising to see that Nate and Eddie have taken the same amounts of shot in the paint (or near it) - approximately - since they've been traded.

Also, how do you explain Nate's struggles in the paint or from close range? This is really mind-boggling to me.

During every game, I place a lot of attention on Nate's shot selection. When he (rarely) drives drives to the basket, it - always - either results in a turnover (ball stolen by his defender) or a terrible shot (by terrible shot I mean a badly missed shot, a brick). He seems unconfortable when driving in the paint and it's quite strange considering this is normally of his strengths. I guess it's psychological and the fact that he takes a lot more 3's than layups doesn't help but still, I find it very strange. Is this the Eddie House curse for replacing him in the rotation? ???

Anyway, I don't want to put too much weight in it but I think it could become a cause for concern in the playoffs if Nate is only a 3 point shooter.

Re: Nate : the new Eddie House?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2010, 02:28:13 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
Huge difference is that Nate often creates his own shot off the dribble. Eddie never did.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2010, 02:29:42 PM »

Offline Ian

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 61
I predicted this happening when we traded for Nate, because we're right in the middle of the season and don't have the time to design new plays to utilize Nate's abilities so obviously we just subbed Nate into all the plays that Eddie usually ran so he's getting a lot of the same looks and being forced to play the same way.

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 02:30:24 PM »

Kiorrik

The Celtics staff kept saying that they felt that adding Nate was an improvement over Eddie because contrary to Eddie, Nate can dribble very well, drive, and create his own shot. However, so far, in 16 games as a Celtic, do you really see a difference between Eddie's game and Nate's?

The goal of the thread is not to bash Nate (frankly, I love the guy, I had big doubts about him chemistry wise when he came in but I love his energy, his game and his attitude), neither it is to discuss who is better between Eddie and Nate,  but it is to discuss Robinson's role within our offense.

Here is Nate's shot selection in the last 10 games (which is a little more than half of his games played in green).

As you can see, 32 of his 52 shot attempts have come from beyond the 3 point line.

Here is Eddie's shot selection in the last 10 games :

Once you've surmounted your shock when you've seen that Eddie has taken 10 shots in the paint in 10 games with the Knicks (probably more than he has taken for the 30 previous games with Boston ;D), you can see that he has taken 26 shots from three.

So, although it's cool to see Nate hitting 3's at the rate he hits them, here are my questions and subjects of wonder (maybe even concerns) : why is he taking so many 3's? Is it what Docs asks him to do?

I know there was a transition period when Nate arrived in Boston, during which Doc ran plays from NY for him (he still runs them now) but isn't it time to take advantage of Nate's driving skills? Especially now that we have Finley to spread the floor with the 2nd unit. It's quite really surprising to see that Nate and Eddie have taken the same amounts of shot in the paint (or near it) - approximately - since they've been traded.

Also, how do you explain Nate's struggles in the paint or from close range? This is really mind-boggling to me.

During every game, I place a lot of attention on Nate's shot selection. When he (rarely) drives drives to the basket, it - always - either results in a turnover (ball stolen by his defender) or a terrible shot (by terrible shot I mean a badly missed shot, a brick). He seems unconfortable when driving in the paint and it's quite strange considering this is normally of his strengths. I guess it's psychological and the fact that he takes a lot more 3's than layups doesn't help but still, I find it very strange. Is this the Eddie House curse for replacing him in the rotation? ???

Anyway, I don't want to put too much weight in it but I think it could become a cause for concern in the playoffs if Nate is only a 3 point shooter.
TP, for your cool signature.

Harharhar (sorry, couldn't resist doing that)

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 02:45:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Huge difference is that Nate often creates his own shot off the dribble. Eddie never did.
Ditto.

Also, Nate is a far superior ball handler.  He has no issues getting the ball upcourt whereas Eddie could be pressured fairly easily.

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 02:52:04 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I know that Nate creates his own shot and can dribble from halcourt with ease, which are things that House couldn't do but I'm talking about his role in our offense : the majority of his attempts are from 3 point range and, like Eddie, he needs teammates to put screens in order to shoot.

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 02:56:53 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Much as I love (and miss) Eddie, I think Nate is an improvement overall ... much more aggressive, and I like it.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 03:06:13 PM »

Offline chelsearules

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 12
i knew he'd be the new eddie or rondo lite... its the same old same old with this offense

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 03:12:26 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Well, Eddie House has better range, more experience and a ring...Nate Robinson might struggle hitting a three pointer despite the fact that he won 3 NBA slam dunk contests while playing for the Knicks (lols @ the learning curve for a 'New York point-guard' these days) ::) but he still has the whole youth-and-athleticism thing going for him...

...Eddie meanwhile set the single season record for 3 point percentage last season on a team of sharpshooters than included Pierce and Ray-ray (shot a .444, 1 1,000th of a percentage point better than the old record holder, Danny Ainge). Hopefully Nate Robinson can hurry up and mature as a player for us come post-season time because we definitey need a perimeter threat on our bench...  :-\
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 03:15:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I know that Nate creates his own shot and can dribble from halcourt with ease, which are things that House couldn't do but I'm talking about his role in our offense : the majority of his attempts are from 3 point range and, like Eddie, he needs teammates to put screens in order to shoot.
I think a big part of it is the team is asking Nate to fill the same role that Eddie did in a lot of our sets. So naturally he's shooting a lot of 3 pointers. Around 70% of his shots are jump shots over his career, so I'd rather those be 3s.

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 03:20:34 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I love that Nate can actually bounce the ball before shooting without have the jumper being thrown way off.

Well, Eddie House has better range, more experience and a ring...Nate Robinson might struggle hitting a three pointer despite the fact that he won 3 NBA slam dunk contests while playing for the Knicks (lols @ the learning curve for a 'New York point-guard' these days) ::) but he still has the whole youth-and-athleticism thing going for him...

...Eddie meanwhile set the single season record for 3 point percentage last season on a team of sharpshooters than included Pierce and Ray-ray (shot a .444, 1 1,000th of a percentage point better than the old record holder, Danny Ainge). Hopefully Nate Robinson can hurry up and mature as a player for us come post-season time because we definitey need a perimeter threat on our bench...  :-\

Nate has been a better shooter than House this entire season and I'd consider him a pretty big perimeter threat.

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 03:32:29 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
I love that Nate can actually bounce the ball before shooting without have the jumper being thrown way off.

Nate has been a better shooter than House this entire season and I'd consider him a pretty big perimeter threat.

I'll admit that Nate's 3 point shooting has gone up since being traded from the knicks (0.375 to 0.463 - both above his career average). His shooting is likely to improve while playing with Ray and Paul but it may be difficult for someone of Nate's height to consistently find open looks on the perimeter. Not saying that it is definitely easier to block or alter a shorter person's shot, because Nate can still create himself opportunities off the dribble.
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 03:37:34 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I think Nate is doing a much better job than what Eddie was giving us. Nate can actually dribble and create offense. He can run the offense which is something Eddie couldnt do. Even if Eddie was playing point he would bring the ball up and shovel it off as soon as he could... At least Nate is comfortable running the offense. Nate has been a better defender and a better passer. Plus, they are both energy guys but Nate has provided more energy and is a fan favorite like Ed.

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2010, 03:42:19 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Much as I love (and miss) Eddie, I think Nate is an improvement overall ... much more aggressive, and I like it.

I concur Bahku. TP. I really miss House and what he brought to the table but if I am being objective Nate is bringing more. He definitely eliminates the need to have someone else bring the ball up the floor. I feel just as comfortable about him knocking down the three, and also feel he will make people at least consider that he might go to the basket. Not to mention he is also a  solid defender for his size. More of a harasser like Eddie was.

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2010, 04:22:29 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
With no disrespect to eddie; nate can bring the ball over midcourt with no issues.  Whenever eddie brought the ball up with pressure it took too much time out of 24 second clock or he'd loose it.  I'd say this was a big reason was sam was brought in, just to bring up ball under control and run offense.  Nate has to be respected off the dribble, he can penetrate and dish, eddie at this point in his career is 1 dimensional.  Eddie's coming off screens for jump shots, he cannot create off the dribble.  Eddie is a sg in a pg body without the speed to guard sgs.  Maybe nate hasn't looked that much different to some people but we run no plays for him and he's only been here awhile.  Even with just nates full court pressure on opposing pg it'll eat time off the other teams 24 second clock