Author Topic: Man.. Rasheed has to go...  (Read 12022 times)

Re: Man.. Rasheed has to go...
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2010, 08:05:14 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
sheed on bosh.?.lol...

*sippin*

« Reply #61 on: March 22, 2010, 03:32:10 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I think it has to be the Celtics main priority to replace Rasheed Wallace as the first big man off the bench this summer.
Only if it's via trade or for very cheap. Priority should be in securing our backup wing and wing depth.
I disagree, I think the backup big man role is going to play a much larger role for the Celtics. Boston's two biggest vulnerabilities right now are (1) Quickness and mobility up front and the consequent effects on their defensive rotations, pick and roll defense and transition defense (2) rebounding.

Rasheed Wallace's continued decline (and KG's probable continued decline) mean these issues are likely to become even larger issues next season than they are now.

Boston can address these flaws and acquire a suitable band aid. Someone who can minimize these issues and stop them from being the reasons they're unable to compete for a title.

I think that contribution is greater than anything a main backup wing offers the Celtics given the nature of their roster.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 03:49:18 AM by Who »

« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2010, 06:07:12 AM »

Offline kenmaine

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 25
  • Boston 104, New York 59
I think it has to be the Celtics main priority to replace Rasheed Wallace as the first big man off the bench this summer.
Only if it's via trade or for very cheap. Priority should be in securing our backup wing and wing depth.

I disagree, I think the backup big man role is going to play a much larger role for the Celtics. Boston's two biggest vulnerabilities right now are (1) Quickness and mobility up front and the consequent effects on their defensive rotations, pick and roll defense and transition defense (2) rebounding.

Rasheed Wallace's continued decline (and KG's probable continued decline) mean these issues are likely to become even larger issues next season than they are now.

Boston can address these flaws and acquire a suitable band aid. Someone who can minimize these issues and stop them from being the reasons they're unable to compete for a title.

I think that contribution is greater than anything a main backup wing offers the Celtics given the nature of their roster.

Agree with WHO. Our backup big men are not all that impressive. Not sure that there is much available that would be an improvement though. I think we expect too much out of backups.
But I agree with the general premise of the OP. If there were a way to ship Rasheed out of here in the summer(can't believe we're stuck with him for two more years) I'd do it.

« Reply #63 on: March 22, 2010, 06:13:15 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
......with us deep into the playoffs..into the Finals in June..and pick up Banner 18 this year.

He has been up and down, but I just believe that his best playing days for us are ahead in April-May and June.

« Reply #64 on: March 22, 2010, 06:55:48 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
There was another thread on Rasheed a week or so ago (can't remember the exact name of it) and I stated that Sheed was the best available Big out there in July 09. Someone mentioned that Drew Gooden was available, as well.

To be honest, I haven't even heard from Drew Gooden..he played for Dallas this year, right? And was backing up Eric Dampier?

And I think he was traded?

I still believe that Sheed was the better pick up for us, even over Drew Gooden.

« Reply #65 on: March 22, 2010, 08:20:13 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
No one can really judge sheed til the season is completed.  While imo he has been disapointing this is generally how he has been with detroit for awhile.  A few games ago he had 9 rebounds, his energy level does seem to be up and again he is out best low post offensive player.  He's better than kg and perk.  As for him being better than gooden that isn't even close.
My only thought is I think he was signed to 3 year deal...if this is year 1 I'm hoping danny can package him after we win another title!

« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2010, 09:02:21 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
No one can really judge sheed til the season is completed.  While imo he has been disapointing this is generally how he has been with detroit for awhile.  A few games ago he had 9 rebounds, his energy level does seem to be up and again he is out best low post offensive player.  He's better than kg and perk.  As for him being better than gooden that isn't even close.
My only thought is I think he was signed to 3 year deal...if this is year 1 I'm hoping danny can package him after we win another title!
Everyone else gets judged game by game.  Sheed should be no different.

« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2010, 10:01:09 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
He's definitely been a disappointment this year so far.  Shows occasional flashes of being a great pickup for the bench, particularly his versatility in playing either the 4 or 5 spot but those flashes are to infrequent.

I'm hoping that as the rest of the older players appear to be rounding into playoff form the past several games that Sheed will follow suit.  If Sheed plays with some fire in the postseason, that will make a world of difference in the possibility of raising another banner.

« Reply #68 on: March 22, 2010, 10:29:10 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I agree to this point Sheed has been a disappointment. Lately I feel that he has been trying to blend in with the new players in the 2nd unit, which I think is the closest he has come to finding the correct role for him on this team.

How I feel about Sheed and the other memebers of the bench for that matter is as follows. If Sheed or another member of the bench is able to carry the team for a short stretch (5 minutes, a quarter or even a game) in the playoffs then  in my book they have contributed well as a bench player. Finley, and Nate could both get hot from 3 and win a game for us. Baby and Quis could both spark a run with their energy. If Sheed scores in the post and plays good defense he could also carry us.

In the end my criteria for a good season from Sheed is him doing enough to turn an L into a W during the playoffs.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #69 on: March 22, 2010, 12:35:31 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
I went to the game in Dallas, and his effort on transition was so weak. He literally watched them dribble the ball down from the other end of the court.  They missed the outside jumper and got the offensive board.  I can understand that he is lazy right now if it means he really will turn it around in the playoffs.  My hope is that he is in shape enough when that time comes around to be able to flip the switch.

« Reply #70 on: March 22, 2010, 12:45:07 PM »

Offline Witch-King

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 143
  • "Just do what you do best" - Red Auerbach
Rasheed is expected to play for us through the end of next season unless something absolutely catastrophic occurs; I'm sure he will kick it into gear come playoff time. I don't think that Rasheed is seriously afraid of being cut by the Celtics though I agree that Doc might need to light a fire under his ::you know what:: if he is still lallygagging going into the playoffs...
~W. King of Angmar/Dark Lord Sauron, "Sore-on", "Score-on", "Slore-on"/"W. King", "D. Lord" (Wins, Defense)/"W-itch King" (haha), All I do is win, and Cincy - TayoFromOhio 😄

« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2010, 02:14:33 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm fairly happy with Sheed's performance. He is a very nice upgrade from 2008 PJ Brown, and he is still one of the best bench bigs in the NBA.

However I feel everyone's pain in that he really should be in better shape, and for all of his talent, he does coast too much.

But again, he is a big upgrade from PJ Brown, who the C's sorely missed last year.

« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Rasheed is expected to play for us through the end of next season unless something absolutely catastrophic occurs; I'm sure he will kick it into gear come playoff time. I don't think that Rasheed is seriously afraid of being cut by the Celtics though I agree that Doc might need to light a fire under his ::you know what:: if he is still lallygagging going into the playoffs...
I'm sure he's actually expected to play for us for all 3 years, not just 2. 

He's definitely an upgrade over PJ from 2 years ago and most definitely an upgrade over Mikki "Don't come around here no"
Moore  from last year.  The question is, will he be enough of an upgrade to help win the title this year.

« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2010, 02:40:23 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm sure he's actually expected to play for us for all 3 years, not just 2. 

He's definitely an upgrade over PJ from 2 years ago and most definitely an upgrade over Mikki "Don't come around here no"
Moore  from last year.  The question is, will he be enough of an upgrade to help win the title this year.

Hehe. For those he hate Sheed's old man energy now, just wait until the 2011-12 season! Dude will be 37, and shooting 37 % from the field.

« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Hehe. For those he hate Sheed's old man energy now, just wait until the 2011-12 season! Dude will be 37, and shooting 37 % from the field.

Is that kind of like golfing your age?