Author Topic: Sam-I-Am for the HOF?  (Read 5647 times)

Re: Sam-I-Am for the HOF?
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2008, 10:01:05 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I'm probably the biggest Cassell fan on this board.  He's up there, but he really doesn't stand a chance.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 12:47:06 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
as i coach?
because as a player he isn't near the hof tier

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 12:51:16 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
You guys are crazy. He's basically a lock. Every team Sam has been on has been much better for his presence. He's drafted by the Rockets and BAM! two rings. He gets traded a few times before his magical presence could be felt by those teams stupid enough to trade him until he finally lands in Milwaukee. He really helped out Jesus and the Big Dog and got to game 7 of the ECF with him, an amazing achievement. Then of course he ends up in Minny and once again? They miss out on the Finals. Why? Because Sam I Am was injured during that series against the Lakers. He was the difference maker.

But wait, this obvious hall of fame caliber reference list doesn't end now. There's still more!
He brought the low low clippers to the semi-finals with an Elton Brand I'm sure we'll all agree seems to have been proven to be basically useless now. Finally, when even Sammy can't change the Clippers he goes to Boston. A playoffs later and we have #17. Sam is what makes championships go around, people. Hopefully no other team sees this obvious talent and tries to take him away from us this season.

care to put money on this?  im looking for a:

;)   ;)   ;)

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 01:08:34 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
Not even remotely worthy of the hall. I am of the opinion though that there are far too many guys in all sports hall of fames anyway. It lessens the honor of being in there. Even with loose standards no way. Think of this comparison... Larry, Magic, Russell, Wilt, Jordan, Sam?! Please...

« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 01:11:57 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Not even remotely worthy of the hall. I am of the opinion though that there are far too many guys in all sports hall of fames anyway. It lessens the honor of being in there. Even with loose standards no way. Think of this comparison... Larry, Magic, Russell, Wilt, Jordan, Sam?! Please...

They should cap the Halls of Fame.  Once they reach a certain number someone has to get the boot before someone else gets in.  "I'm sorry Pud Galvin (yes  he's a baseball Hall of Famer) you're no longer worthy.  Make way for Dustin Pedroia...."
Yup

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2008, 01:16:29 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

They should cap the Halls of Fame.  Once they reach a certain number someone has to get the boot before someone else gets in.  "I'm sorry Pud Galvin (yes  he's a baseball Hall of Famer) you're no longer worthy.  Make way for Dustin Pedroia...."

I'd buy that, or at least have a Core tier of 50 players or something. Kind of like the NBA greatest except one that is flexible. Way too many of these borderline players in there. This may sound blasphemous, but I don't think that DJ would be there under a more restrictive requirement for me. If you aren't in the top 10 PG's of all time then you don't make it. Maybe 10 at each position. That is it.

« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2008, 01:18:45 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

I'd buy that, or at least have a Core tier of 50 players or something. Kind of like the NBA greatest except one that is flexible. Way too many of these borderline players in there. This may sound blasphemous, but I don't think that DJ would be there under a more restrictive requirement for me. If you aren't in the top 10 PG's of all time then you don't make it. Maybe 10 at each position. That is it.

Can you imagine how ticked off people would get getting voted OUT of the Hall?  Thinking of how emotional people are about being passed over in the first place. 

It'll never happen, but I like the competitiveness of it.
Yup

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2008, 01:20:42 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Can you imagine how ticked off people would get getting voted OUT of the Hall?  Thinking of how emotional people are about being passed over in the first place. 

It'll never happen, but I like the competitiveness of it.

It would almost be worth it to have all these borderline old guys crying about it. You're right though. I think the only change that could be made is to limit the number of new entries. Don't just vote someone in so there is someone on the ballot. Have nobody make it for years if needed.

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2008, 01:32:18 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think that the OP used Hollinger-metric stats to bolster his argument for Sam Cassell for the Hall of Fame says more about the quality of PER and some other Hollinger derived stats and less about the quality of Sam's play.

Sam has always been a good player but to make the Hall you have to have been one of the best players of your generation. At least that is how I percieve it. So throw any statistic that you want out there to prove Sam's belonging in the Hall of Fame but Sam doesn't past the litmus test. When I think of the best players of Sam's time in the league, Sam isn't on that list.

« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2008, 01:34:08 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup
I think that the OP used Hollinger-metric stats to bolster his argument for Sam Cassell for the Hall of Fame says more about the quality of PER and some other Hollinger derived stats and less about the quality of Sam's play.

Sam has always been a good player but to make the Hall you have to have been one of the best players of your generation. At least that is how I percieve it. So throw any statistic that you want out there to prove Sam's belonging in the Hall of Fame but Sam doesn't past the litmus test. When I think of the best players of Sam's time in the league, Sam isn't on that list.

Sam has very rarely even been the best player on his team.
Yup

« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2008, 01:38:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

True but on the other hand I don't think Houston wins those two titles if Sam wasn't on those teams. Sam was good, not great and certainly not one of the best ever.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 01:40:12 PM by Redz »

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2008, 01:41:40 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Yup

True but on the other hand I don't think Houston wins those two titles if Sam wasn't on those teams. Sam was good, not great and certainly not one of the best ever.

...and by the same token Robert Parish and Kevin McHale weren't the best players on their teams either, so it's not a great argument against being a Hall of Famer, but I think it's somehow different in Sam's case.  He was never dominant.
Yup