Author Topic: Some encouraging Rondo facts and stats.  (Read 7319 times)

Re: Some encouraging Rondo facts and stats.
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 07:26:58 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I always thought Marcus Banks had the tools to be somewhat similar to a Rajon Rondo as an NBA player.....

The only problem with Marcus was that he didn't have Rajon's head.

What is interesting about Rondo is how would he have turned out if we didn't hand him the keys last year to be our Starting PG. It seemed as though we entrusted the team to him at a very young point in his career and he came through.
As Roy Hobbs likes to say, he was put in a position to succeed. Management, the coaches, the players and the front office handled his development last year absolutely perfectly and it looks like it will be paying dividends for another 8-10 years.

I bet Phoenix is thinking they'd like to not have traded us that pick that year. They could have traded Nash in his expiring year, had his replacement and had a bright future with Amare and Rondo.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 08:18:06 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 08:10:46 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
I agree on the Marcus Banks comparison.

and like you said Marcus just didnt have the right mindset.  Marcus was always out of control.  Marcus seemed like he was always looking for his shot first, and when he did pass, it was never the right pass, always the fancy pass.

One thing I will always think of first when it comes to Marcus Banks though was his pressure defense.  He was like a one man full court press.
Greg

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2008, 08:26:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I liken the difference between Banks and Rondo to that of running backs in football. Banks was strictly a north-south guy who was best going right for the score no matter who was in his way and Rondo was the edge back who could weave around, find the open hole and be versatile as to what to do with the space once he found it.

Banks got the ball, ran straight to the net and tried to drive and shoot everytime time, seemingly whereas Rondo can move around more, has better east-west motion and better body control and will drive and shoot when it's open and pass if that's the better option, which, he is always looking to do first.

BTW did anyone else love that move into the paint the other night where there was no lane so he dribbled beneath the backboard and used Perk on the other side as a pick for a wide open 6 footer? You know that is open to him just about all the time if the Celtics have two players on either low post position and Rondo can squeeze his man off him with those picks. I'm glad he has finally recognized that option is there for him because it has been there 3-4 times a game just about all season.

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2008, 08:30:18 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
Let me be clear up front. I think Rondo has played great for the Celts and i don't believe they would have the record thay have without him. I do have a question about him that I would like to put out there. Do you think he's a good man on man defender? To me he seems to get beat quite often, but because he is so quick he can make up for it by slapping away the ball from behind, sometimes. I know he has a lot of steals and hustles all the time, but I think staying in front of him man is something he could work on. Just wondering if I'm alone in that thought.
I think Rondo is a good man on man defender, but he looks bad at times because he gambles and tries to get behind his man and knock the ball away. Also, Rondo is shorter than most of the guards he defends so he needs to play close up to pressure an outside shot. This gives his guy a better chance to go around him. Pruitt, on the other hand, because of his height can play a bit off his man and take away the quickness advantage. Pruitt is also playing it the way Doc wants==stay in front of your man. Rondo, because of his personality, will go against Doc's wishes and take chances. This could be similar to the way KG's always talking up a storm--it works to keep Rondo aggressive.

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2008, 08:37:42 PM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
I always thought Marcus Banks had the tools to be somewhat similar to a Rajon Rondo as an NBA player.....

What is interesting about Rondo is how would he have turned out if we didn't hand him the keys last year to be our Starting PG. It seemed as though we entrusted the team to him at a very young point in his career and he came through.
Rondo got the keys to the car because he earned them, Banks didn't. Also, Rondo is fortunate to be playing with great players. Banks didn't have that advantage. Regardless, I don't think Banks ever understood what he could do with his talents.
I also heard Danny Ainge in an interview, maybe a week or so ago, saying he purposely did not want to bring in a vet pg last year or this because he wanted Rondo to play. He was afraid if he brought in a vet, the vet would get the playing time and Rondo wouldn't be developing the way he is. I would have loved to hear those discussions between Danny and Doc. Fortunately they like and respect each other and get along very well. Danny really believed in Rondo, passed up drafting several other guards and got to pick Rondo because of a deal that was made with Phoenix.

« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2008, 08:44:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Rondo got the keys to the car because he earned them, Banks didn't. Also, Rondo is fortunate to be playing with great players. Banks didn't have that advantage. Regardless, I don't think Banks ever understood what he could do with his talents.
I also heard Danny Ainge in an interview, maybe a week or so ago, saying he purposely did not want to bring in a vet pg last year or this because he wanted Rondo to play. He was afraid if he brought in a vet, the vet would get the playing time and Rondo wouldn't be developing the way he is. I would have loved to hear those discussions between Danny and Doc. Fortunately they like and respect each other and get along very well. Danny really believed in Rondo, passed up drafting several other guards and got to pick Rondo because of a deal that was made with Phoenix.
You did here that interview right. It was a week or two before bringing in Sam Cassell when Danny was doing his weekly gig on The Big Show on WEEI.

I heard the same show. I thought it an interesting idea that Danny basically forced Doc's hand and made him use Rondo rather than having a vet on the bench that Doc may have turned to early, hence, derailing the development of Rondo.

« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2008, 09:08:22 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Rondo was my 06 draft day crush.

So glad to see I was right about him.

Now let's hope Giddens steps up and makes me 2 for 2.

« Reply #22 on: December 18, 2008, 09:57:14 PM »

Offline hankfinkel

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 36
Anyone have a link confirming Rondo graduated in 2006?  Seems pretty difficult to graduate in two years while playing major college basketball.  It's possible I guess, but I would think that kind of accomplishment would get some decent press as an amazing accomplishment and I do not see anything when I do a quick search. 
Here's one. Rondo's MySpace page

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=368770796

Yeah, I don't think I'm buying self-reports on MySpace as evidence.  I've read several profiles on him, including one done by the University of Kentucky this year:

http://www.ukathletics.com/athletic-dept/2008-wildcat-champs-rondo.html

Nowhere does it mention him finishing his degree at all, never mind in 2 years, and UK would be pumping up that information big time if he did.

I like Rajon, and he deserves much praise for his play this year, but I'm pretty sure he does not have a Bachelor's degree from Kentucky.

« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2008, 10:33:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Anyone have a link confirming Rondo graduated in 2006?  Seems pretty difficult to graduate in two years while playing major college basketball.  It's possible I guess, but I would think that kind of accomplishment would get some decent press as an amazing accomplishment and I do not see anything when I do a quick search. 

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewProfile&friendID=368770796

Yeah, I don't think I'm buying self-reports on MySpace as evidence.  I've read several profiles on him, including one done by the University of Kentucky this year:

Nowhere does it mention him finishing his degree at all, never mind in 2 years, and UK would be pumping up that information big time if he did.

I like Rajon, and he deserves much praise for his play this year, but I'm pretty sure he does not have a Bachelor's degree from Kentucky.
I don't know why you would doubt him and basically say that he is lying about graduating. It's not like he wasn't an excellent student as he was listed among 36 University of Kentucky winter sport student athletes as being on the SEC Academic Honor Roll in 2006. But on the other hand it could just be a typo in which case, please disregard that fact.

http://secsports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=4&url_article_id=7104&change_well_id=2

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2008, 11:26:57 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I don't know why you would doubt him and basically say that he is lying about graduating. It's not like he wasn't an excellent student as he was listed among 36 University of Kentucky winter sport student athletes as being on the SEC Academic Honor Roll in 2006. But on the other hand it could just be a typo in which case, please disregard that fact.

http://secsports.com/index.php?s=&url_channel_id=4&url_article_id=7104&change_well_id=2

Gotta love the majors of the basketball players. Serious softballs.

No way he got a 4 year degree in 2 while training for basketball at the same time.

« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2008, 11:29:33 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Rondo finished off his degree and graduated from the University of Kentucky in 2006 even though he left school early after his sophomore season.

Probably the most impressive one right there.  That always says a lot about pro athletes when they dedicate themselves to finishing their degree even after they are financially secure.

He must have completed his degree after getting drafted, like Vince Carter did. Some NBA players continue their studies after getting drafted.

Remember VC going to a graduation the morning before a playoff game?

[Edit: whoops, I see someone else mentioned VC already]
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 11:35:15 PM by guava_wrench »

« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 12:02:58 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593

Gotta love the majors of the basketball players. Serious softballs.

No way he got a 4 year degree in 2 while training for basketball at the same time.

I'm with guava_wrench and hankfinkel on this one.   By the way my Myspace page now says I earn over $250k per year and am Beyonce's lover on the side, it says it on Myspace so you know it's true, why on earth would I lie about things that make me sound better on Myspace?  Maybe I should update my own wikipedia page now too  ;D

Let Rondo-Gate begin.

Exibit A.  It says on his Myspace page he attended UK from 2002 to 2006.  That is four years.  I see no mention of any info on Rajon Rondo at UK before 2004 (his Freshman year).  According to Rivals.com Rondo didn't commit there until 1/26/2004.  While he is from Kentucky and theoretically could have been taking some college courses there while in high school, I find this very doubtful given the summer schedules of high school basketball stars with AAU and all the camps.  Also Rondo went away to Oak Hill for his Senior year.  Very, very doubtful he had time to play Oak Hill's cross country schedule and still took classes long distance at Kentucky while still in high school.

Exhibit B.  It also says on Rondo's Myspace page "Smoke / Drink:   No / No"
But you can see Rondo doused in beer and with a beer in his hand here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxjfoaHpCcE
And I also saw him light up a victory cigar at the parade.  So Based on this I think we need to throw all myspace evidence out the window.
(ok this one is a joke obviously)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 06:43:53 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I really doubt that is Rondo's real myspace page.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 02:28:57 PM »

Offline Binky-King

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I really doubt that is Rondo's real myspace page.

It isn't.