Poll

What is the most important whole to fill?

Defensive minded big
20 (71.4%)
Defensive minded wing
1 (3.6%)
A wing that can get his own shot
7 (25%)
A true point
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Celtics Bench  (Read 4939 times)

Celtics Bench
« on: December 18, 2008, 08:49:14 AM »

Offline gkiteisscal

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7
There is no doubt that this bench is inconsistant (yes I know all benches are) & I do not want to argue about the reality of consistant bench play.  What I want to know is if you were DA and you were trying to get more consistant play out of your bench, with the playoffs in mind, which direction would you go? 
I am torn between a defensive big and a wing player that can generate their own offense.  A big is a necessity for the playoffs, especially with potential matchups against LAL and CLE.  But on the same note TA's offensive attack (put your head down, dribble around your neck and force up an off balanced shot in the lane) is maddening. I would love to see them work out a deal for a guy like Wells who can create his own offense w/o being such a turnover liability.  So what do you all think!

Re: Celtics Bench
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 08:55:53 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
1. Defensive big

2. Wing with size, decent defense and decent outside shooting (traits by order of importance)

3. Meh... between the wing with shot creation skills and the backup point-guard... none, we already have that.

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 09:02:23 AM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
No additions unless PJ wants to come out of retirement. 
Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 12:24:58 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think the two areas we need, especially for the playoffs are:

-a defensive big
-a true point guard

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2008, 12:50:32 PM »

Offline DinoRadjaLives

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 24
1. Defensive big

2. Wing with size, decent defense and decent outside shooting (traits by order of importance)(I am pretty sure that Bill Walker will be a contributer in the playoffs with some of these traits.

3. Meh... between the wing with shot creation skills and the backup point-guard... none, we already have that.

If we can not get Mutumbo, and I am pretty sure that PJ is not an option as he likes being retired, we will need to shake the team up with a Tony Allen/Scals/Big Baby type package for a Joel Prybilla or Dan Gadzuric type player.
"The Boston Celtics are not a basketball team, they are a way of life" - Red Auerbach

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2008, 01:03:58 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
1. Defensive big

2. Wing with size, decent defense and decent outside shooting (traits by order of importance)(I am pretty sure that Bill Walker will be a contributer in the playoffs with some of these traits.

If we can not get Mutumbo, and I am pretty sure that PJ is not an option as he likes being retired, we will need to shake the team up with a Tony Allen/Scals/Big Baby type package for a Joel Prybilla or Dan Gadzuric type player.

And then make Pruitt or Giddens our backup wing? I think we'd lose more than we'd gain in a deal like that.

Instead of looking for a better backup pg I'd rather see Rondo get about 6 more minutes a game and get 38-40 a game in the non-blowout playoff games.

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I voted for defensive minded big, but it bears stating that what we really need is a "long, defensive minded big".  It is the size that we really need at that position.  I really like what BBD and Powe bring for the Cs, but it would be nice to also have a player with a little more length, just to help with matchups.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2008, 01:47:20 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
1. Defensive big

I'm not sure at all, because he's not a good defender or shooter right now and most importantly, he's a rookie with no NBA experience so far.

Those trades will never happen: the one for Przybilla is too risky for us, as I don't think we could find a decent wing to replace Allen and Portland would never do it; the deal for Gadzuric is atrocious for us.

The wing I'd try to acquire would be someone like, say, Damien Wilkins. A guy who could play situational minutes in certain matchups. I doubt we have the assets to get him though.

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2008, 09:40:51 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
defensive minded big is what we need. i hate the obsession with trading away your farm for someone, we just won the championship and are off the the best start in team history. i can't even go in the trade idea's threads without getting obnoxiously upset.

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 10:22:59 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
i think the two areas we need, especially for the playoffs are:

-a defensive big
-a true point guard
Agree but hope 1 of them can score as well...i think we need some added scoring punch to the second unit.

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2008, 01:34:42 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
talking all around the league

Defensive Big
PG who can create for all the bench

talking about reality and playoffs

defensive big
wing who can defend bron and kobe
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2008, 03:20:19 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
1. Defensive big

I'm not sure at all, because he's not a good defender or shooter right now and most importantly, he's a rookie with no NBA experience so far.

Those trades will never happen: the one for Przybilla is too risky for us, as I don't think we could find a decent wing to replace Allen and Portland would never do it; the deal for Gadzuric is atrocious for us.

The wing I'd try to acquire would be someone like, say, Damien Wilkins. A guy who could play situational minutes in certain matchups. I doubt we have the assets to get him though.

Ya nailed it (IMO) Cordobes, we need length off the bench. A long wing or big is the real need defensively. We dont need scorers, we have the big three, House and Rondo in that order who are all capable of putting up points, even Leon puts up a few.

A James Posey, Tayshawn Prince, Marvin William kind of guy would be awesome, but a Damien Wilkins would be great as well and much more realistic. As for the Big, there are not a bunch of easy choices out there.

I understand the attraction to Przybilla and even a Jeff Foster or Stromile Swift, but they are not likely to be available in our price range. I wonder if Mikki Moore is available? He would be a nice fit if we cant land Mutumbo. Joe Smith is another option I would like to see in green. 8)
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2008, 05:47:49 AM »

Offline EDWARDO

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 93
Biggest threats are the Lakers and Cavs. Need someone to defend Kobe/Lebron for stretches. Raja Bell is in Charlotte now. He's gotta be high on the list.

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2008, 05:51:40 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Biggest threats are the Lakers and Cavs. Need someone to defend Kobe/Lebron for stretches. Raja Bell is in Charlotte now. He's gotta be high on the list.

I would love Raja -- even though his defensive has slipped a bit -- but I don't see Charlotte trading him to us.  We just don't have a lot of trade assets to move in a deal.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2008, 07:51:11 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Sigh. Raja Bell would be the answer to a lot of what ails this bench. But the assets issue is the problem.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."