Author Topic: Will Rajon Rondo be better than Dennis Johnson?  (Read 6767 times)

Re: Will Rajon Rondo be better than Dennis Johnson?
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2008, 08:11:48 AM »

Offline pablohoney

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
Tiny Archibald was the Chris Paul of his day.   By the time he came to Boston he was no longer the prolific scorer he once was and was similar to Gary Payton of the Celtics - a shadow of his former self but a veteran who still knew how to run  a team.  He took a team of young future superstars and helped guide them to a title.

DJ was a near superstar in his own right.   Seattle thought he was a guy they could build around but he wasn't quite good enough and he had some attitude issues early in his career.  He actually was nicknamed the Rocket because of his amazing hops in college which he no longer had in Boston.  DJ could bring up the ball against anybody but he  was methodical and his arrival signalled the end of the running game.  He was like Jason Kidd in the half court.  Could kill you with passing and his strength and size but his outside shot wasn't great.  Unlike Kidd, DJ seemed to always hit his shots when it mattered.   I have never seen a guy so automatic in the 4th quarter still end the game shooting 39% or so.  He was also like Larry Bird or James Posey in that he was always in the middle of the big plays that never show up in box scores.  If there was a loose ball, a scrum, a need to dive into stands to save the ball etc. it was usually DJ or Bird who did it.  If there was a miraculous defensive play - a strip, a forced jump ball, a play like Pierce made in game 7 against Lebron - that was usually DJ.   When Bird stole the ball against Detroit DJ was already cutting to the hoop and made and impossible layup with wrong hand look easy.

I love Rondo.   In terms of his energy, his toughness, his spirit he does remind me of DJ.  But DJ did it with a 6-5 frame and could guard Magic Johnson 1 day and Isiah Thomas the next.  He was a one of a kind player who never got the full recognition for his ability.

Re: Will Rajon Rondo be better than Dennis Johnson?
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 08:58:01 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
DJ was so different from Rondo, it really is not a good comparison.  He was a big swing guard, not a pure PG like Rondo.  He was a better shooter than Rondo. They both demonstrated great anticipation skills, seeing a play unfold before it happens, and that is why they both have so many steals. Rondo is much quicker than DJ was, but DJ had a deceptive quickness about him, and was extremely efficient with his movements, if that makes sense.  I would say DJ was more of a cerebral player, especially with the Celtics, but that was due to being at the end of his career, where he had lost a step physically.

We as Celtic fans were very lucky to have them both. 

RIP, DJ, you will get in the HOF. 

Rondo, you are the present and the future.  You will make the all star game this year, and for many years to come.