Author Topic: hack-a-shaq is a disgrace...  (Read 16402 times)

Re: hack-a-shaq is a disgrace...
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2008, 11:55:33 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

The argument is that from a fan's perspective it ruins the game.

A
Unless you're a Spurs Fan.

i would not advocate this even if the Cs were doing it. and it would totally take the fun out of  the game for me.

« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2008, 12:06:53 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
i don't think it's changing the rule for one player, because it could be employed on a good amount of players. As discussed, 2 of them are on the Spurs.
And you're not changing it for one player, you're changing it for an entire fan base.

BTW: Couldn't agree more, if the C's employed this it would be awfully bittersweet.

« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2008, 12:10:07 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

The argument is that from a fan's perspective it ruins the game.

A
Unless you're a Spurs Fan.

i would not advocate this even if the Cs were doing it. and it would totally take the fun out of  the game for me.
If it was the best or only way to win I'd advocate it. Winning is the most important thing in the end. I still think the game is fun.
I like watching Shaq stink it up and cost them the game.
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2008, 12:25:30 PM »

Offline BuckeyeCelt

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
I think it adds to the game.  It is amazing to watch how the other players react, and the chess match that goes on between the coaches. 

Again, it is not the strategy that is the problem...

This will lower the value of anyone who can't shoot free throws, and I think it is great!!!!

It does not ruin the product, it embarrasses guys who think they are too good to have to practice (Yes I'm talking about Practice here)...

I LOVE IT!!!! (even in the first quarter.  I would rather see this brought to the forefront in this manner than to continually see guys go to the line with a 50% Free throw percentage...that is embarrassing to anyone who loves the game of basketball and doesn't just want to see 48 minutes of showtime!

It's great!!!!!!!!!  LONG LIVE HACK A SHAQ!!

« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2008, 12:53:49 PM »

Offline mjohnson

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10
this thread should be re-named "hack-a-shaq is a disgrace to shaq"..

if only he can shoot those FT, then nobody will use that again...

shooting at the FT is about the shooter of FT itself... he is the one being focus on TV. he is the one being task to shoot those FT.. he rarely made it and even got violations..  ...he embarrassed himself..

Assuming i am a fan of the Suns, i would hate seeing this hack-a-shaq thing...  and if i am a Spurs fan, i would enjoy loving that..

i think that's part of defense or strategy..
at the eye of the enemy, Defense looks so unentertaining... (look at the raiting of Spurs vs Pistons finals)

at the eye of an ally fan, good defense/strategy from his team would be "fantastic".

all of the non-celtics fan out there argue about the not-so-good calls from the game against the Celtics.. We, celtics fan, doesn't care... we won it with defense..  :)

« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2008, 01:02:13 PM »

Offline jay_jay54

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 266
If you think the hack-a-shaq rule is boring,try watching the "Four Corners" being used.Dean Smith incorporated a new stradegy back in the 60's called The Four Corners(college),the most boriest play to watch,but it was effective when applied at the right time for the right reasons.I know we are talking NBA here,and can't use the FC offense in the NBA,thank God,but my point is,coaches throughout the ages,have used different stradegies to win games,at all levels of play.It is not designed to be pretty,just effective.

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2008, 01:04:11 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I think it adds to the game.  It is amazing to watch how the other players react, and the chess match that goes on between the coaches. 

This will lower the value of anyone who can't shoot free throws, and I think it is great!!!!

It does not ruin the product, it embarrasses guys who think they are too good to have to practice (Yes I'm talking about Practice here)...

I LOVE IT!!!! (even in the first quarter.  I would rather see this brought to the forefront in this manner than to continually see guys go to the line with a 50% Free throw percentage...that is embarrassing to anyone who loves the game of basketball and doesn't just want to see 48 minutes of showtime!

the Spurs are about as entertaining as a sack of potatoes:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2007-06-15-finals-ratings_N.htm

IMO there is absolutely nothing interesting about repetitively fouling a guy outside the action of the game.

i think the Spurs should have some stones and try and beat the Suns by playing basketball.

if i was a Spurs fan i would be embarrassed by this.

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2008, 01:09:23 PM »

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
If you think the hack-a-shaq rule is boring,try watching the "Four Corners" being used.Dean Smith incorporated a new stradegy back in the 60's called The Four Corners(college),the most boriest play to watch,but it was effective when applied at the right time for the right reasons.I know we are talking NBA here,and can't use the FC offense in the NBA,thank God,but my point is,coaches throughout the ages,have used different stradegies to win games,at all levels of play.It is not designed to be pretty,just effective.
Now that four corners stuff was dull!
Peace through Tyranny

« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2008, 01:46:15 PM »

Offline mjohnson

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 10

the Spurs are about as entertaining as a sack of potatoes:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/nba/2007-06-15-finals-ratings_N.htm

IMO there is absolutely nothing interesting about repetitively fouling a guy outside the action of the game.

i think the Spurs should have some stones and try and beat the Suns by playing basketball.

if i was a Spurs fan i would be embarrassed by this.

yes, it is not entertaining to watch.
in the eyes of a Spurs fan, it is not embarrassing. They just like the "W". as long as they win, it is good.

No Spurs fan would be embarrassed with that.
If I'm a Spurs fan,  I would say, "Yeah, foul him right away"

« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2008, 01:46:44 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
What if Shaq next time someone goes to foul him just punches them in the face and starts a brawl basically him versus the Spurs and all his teammates walk away so as to not get suspended. This is conceavable yet highly unlikely. The point is although you could do it and it would benefit your team (lots of suspensions for the Spurs and Shaq) its is frowned upon and really really cheap. Just because you can do certain things in the game doesnt mean you should. It takes away from the game and the end product the fans get to see. Its a travesty that the Spurs are utilizeing this strategy. But im not surprised watching them is like watching soccer. Flopping and whineing the entire game. And thats comeing from a 4 year varsity high soccer player, so im not insulting the game simply stateing the truth.

« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2008, 02:23:24 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

How is the "Hack-A-Shaq" any different from the intentional walk in baseball?  or fouling ANYONE on purpose late in the game when you're down?

It's not pretty, but until it's outlawed, why not do it if it works?
Yup

« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2008, 02:47:13 PM »

Offline Weird Facts

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 71
  • OOGIE BOOGEY DELONTE
I understand the need for that type of basketball at certain times.  Sure, in the fourth quarter of a close game it makes sense...But what the spurs are doing is just a disgrace and embarressment to basketball.

They have turned these games into boring, uneventful games.  fouling shaq when you are up double digits before halftime is annoying.

This is a joke.

"They have turned these games into boring, uneventful games."

That pretty much Sums up the Spurs over the past 5 years.

I mean, it makes sense, Tim Duncan has been the most boring dominant player I've ever seen.  Turn around and shoot it off the glass 15 times a game. 

What are you going to do?  the Spurs are just so boring they make the first inning of a baseball game seem entertaining.
Fair or bad weather
I'll always be a fan of the green

http://www.cafepress.com/besttees3

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2008, 03:40:52 PM »

Offline TheReaLPuba

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
If the game is suppose to be fun and entertaining I suppose the rules should ban all nonathletic players and only let players dunk and throw alley-oops 80% of the time....lets go even further and put in a rule that says you can't shoot the ball until there's been a minimum of 4 passes.

The simple fact is if a team has a weakness then the other team will have to take advantage of it. It's for the team with the weakness to adjust and either take Shaq out of the game or hope Shaq makes enough to thwart their tactic.

And let's remember the Spurs are also GETTING team fouls on these fouls. IT's up to the rest of the Suns to take advantage of that....once the Spurs are over the limit - Take Shaq Out of the game and attack the rim.

Changing the rule to hide weaknesses for select players is disingenuous to the game.

« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2008, 03:48:17 PM »

Offline davemonsterband

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 160
I understand the need for that type of basketball at certain times.  Sure, in the fourth quarter of a close game it makes sense...But what the spurs are doing is just a disgrace and embarressment to basketball.

They have turned these games into boring, uneventful games.  fouling shaq when you are up double digits before halftime is annoying.

This is a joke.

Wins before sins. What's a joke is teams that are too stupid to do it. I'd sign Barry Bonds, I'd do steroids if I played and I'd hack-a-Shaq my way to a 5th ring in a heartbeat. Who matters are Spurs fans and I know plenty of them, they all LOVE hack-a-Shaq and so would I.
"The Best Revenge Is Massive Success"
~Ole Blue Eyes~

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2008, 03:49:16 PM »

Offline soap07

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 145

Are you implying that the Spurs have won three straight against the Suns solely because of the Hack-a-Shaq technique?