Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: New York(2) vs Boston(7)  (Read 95826 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Eastern First Round: New York(2) vs Boston(7)
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2013, 04:32:52 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I think I am leaning Knicks here after hearing IPs strategy to rely on gall at the 4. First off, I don't trust Gallo to be completely healthy because, Well, the guy never seems to be completely healthy. Second, New York's defenders will rough Gallo up something bad in a physical series and that will definitely have an effect on a not completely healthy Gallo and then the rest of the team.

Lastly, I am not buying into the quarter year wonder that IP is building up in Patrick Beverley. I have seen too many of these rookies that shine a bit just too fall off into nothingness when the league gets a better scouting report on them.

So I think I am going New York. Its just not Boston's time yet. Give Irving another couple years with some of these same players and maybe this team goes deep. Just not now.

Also not really a surprise, or really anything I can change. If they aren't 8 year vets Nick's not giving them the benefit of the doubt if all they have to do is walk and chew gum. Its in the manual.
Sorry fool me once, same on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Already been done in in this game by the likes of such awesome young players as Landry Fields and Derrick Williams(who was supposedly so good he could guard Lebron James). Not buying a decent 20 game stretch by Patrick Beverley or even Evan Fournier as being able to handle vets like Martin and Hinrich in a 7 game playoff series.

I love Gasol and Irving but I just think Irving would toast Rubio in this series but the lack of vets elsewhere after Gallo and Gasol is disconcerting and they aren't Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Ibaka, Sefalosha good to be able to handle playoff basketball without a couple years experience in the playoffs first. That's been pretty much a reality in the real NBA. I don't see where suspending that reality here is akin to believing young players can't even walk and chew bubblegum at the same time. Youth doesn't win NBA playoffs 99% of the time, Experience, rebounding and defense does and I think you are outgunned in all three areas here.

Its not suspending any reality, you're equating a core of Irving, Hayward, Gallinari, Gasol, and Valanciunas with well, 'everyone else' who has ever had a young team and been terrible.

Let's look at this alleged 'lack of experience' at the time these fictional playoffs will occur:

Kyrie Irving: 3 years starting, 2 all-star appearances (barring injury)

Gordon Hayward: 2.5 years experience as full-time starter, 280 games played (72+66+72+70 projected (his average).

Danillo Gallinari: 247 games started at conclusion of 2013, 300 by the end of 2014 (53 projected, cuz that makes 300), 338 games played

Pau Gasol: No need, but 2 championships, 3 Finals appearances, over 100 playoff appearances.

Jonas Valanciunas: 2 years as a full-time starter

then on the bench:

Isaiah Thomas: Over 5500 minutes, and more than 200 games played after just 3 years in the league

Corey Brewer: 168 games started, over 400 games played, age 28

Darrell Arthur: 300 games, over 5000 minutes played, 28 games and 376 minutes of playoff experience in just 2 seasons (so those good long-runs)

Pero Antic is 30 years old and a career ball player.

I mean..that's the experience.

Then look at the talent level.

As of the playoffs:

Kyrie: 3 yr vet
Hayward: 3 yr vet
Gallo: 6 yr vet
Gasol: 13 yrs
Valanciunas: 2 yrs

That's my starters

Isaiah Thomas: 3 yrs of high minutes
Beverley: 26 yrs old
Brewer: 7 yrs exp
Arthur: 5 yrs exp
Antic: 31 yrs old

Then figure that for their experience, a lot of the players should get better next season.

Its not suspending reality. This team will have plenty of experience by the time the playoffs roll around, and the majority of them will have spent considerable time as starters.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #46 on: September 09, 2013, 04:33:29 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
i voted...NY

I'm writing your name in my book.

« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2013, 04:35:48 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
i voted...NY

Its a book of people who were wrong about the 2013 Boston Celtics.

« Reply #48 on: September 09, 2013, 04:37:06 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Also, my coach is Greg Popovich. That's gotta turn at least 1 loss into a win, if you're one of the incorrect hoards who don't have me sweeping.

« Reply #49 on: September 09, 2013, 04:41:58 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
i voted...NY

Wouldn't you know, darklord made my book too.   :o

We should compare books, but if you wanna avoid being in mine, you know what you need to do.  ;)

« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2013, 04:43:47 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
I think New York should defend Pau Gasol with Brook Lopez if Boston stays big. Put Larry Sanders on Jonas Valanciunas instead.

I don't think much of L.Sanders man-to-man defense so I don't like him on Pau + if he is on Jonas, L.Sanders will have more opportunity to roam defensively and make the type of defensive plays he is good at.

I agree with this.  Lopez has more bulk, and will stand up to Gasol better in the post.  It also allows Sanders to roam more on the perimeter.

Haha, that seems fairly laughable.  Lopez has trouble defending chairs.

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2013, 04:50:37 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
i voted...NY

We should compare books, but if you wanna avoid being in mine, you know what you need to do.  ;)

you guys both made my book about bros who i think are pretty chill

« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2013, 05:02:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
i voted...NY

Sweet.

« Reply #53 on: September 09, 2013, 05:09:13 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
i voted...NY

Well, if this implies me, thanks.

One minor quibble though, if you ever are around DMB fans, or more specifically at a Dave show, you'd understand why the term "bro" can actually be viewed as a negative.

It's always the bros starting fights in the lawn.  Bunch of drunken fools.  Usually fighting over who bumped who or something about a chick.

« Reply #54 on: September 09, 2013, 05:12:55 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
On second thought, I think Boston should stay big against New York.

I like the Gallinari matchup against Larry Sanders but I worry too much about the Celtics backup wings. I worry that they create as much of an opportunity for New York's wings (Kevin Martin, Jeff Green) as Gallinari creates for Boston. I think the Celtics are better off staying big.

I think the Celtics have enough size and skill in their regular starting unit to cause New York's starting lineup more than enough problems.

« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2013, 05:19:16 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If Gallo plays the four, ZBo comes in to destroy him not only scoring points, but on the boards as well.

Also I have no worries with Lopez guarding Gasol. Lopez can body up against Gasol and keep him from getting closer to the basket.Lopez isnt as much of a liability on defense as people make him out to be, Especially with Gasol slowed by lingering injures and older age.

Lopez on Gasol Sanders on JoVal

If the Knicks counter with Gallo as the stretch unit with Beverly and Hayward on the wings then the Knicks counter with ZBo at the four and destroys him down low. Green destroys Hayward at the three slot whether its off the dribble or in the post. And Martin just shots over Beverly without even thinking twice. The Knicks destroy that lineup if it comes down to it.

« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2013, 05:23:52 PM »

fitzhickey

If Gallo plays the four, ZBo comes in to destroy him not only scoring points, but on the boards as well.

Also I have no worries with Lopez guarding Gasol. Lopez can body up against Gasol and keep him from getting closer to the basket.Lopez isnt as much of a liability on defense as people make him out to be, Especially with Gasol slowed by lingering injures and older age.

If the Knicks counter with Gallo as the stretch unit with Beverly and Hayward on the wings then the Knicks counter with ZBo at the four and destroys him down low. Green destroys Hayward at the three slot whether its off the dribble or in the post. And Martin just shots over Beverly without even thinking twice. The Knicks destroy that lineup if it comes down to it.
How would Randolph guard gallo?

« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2013, 05:37:07 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

How would Randolph guard gallo?

I am not worried. Gallo is a very skilled offensive player. However, has anyone seen how freakin slow he is? Add ACL surgery to his slowness and he will still be trying to get offensive speed back.

Gallo would be out on the perimeter trying to stretch the floor so ZBo can sag off a bit to protect the drive while still using his length to distrupt the outside shot. If Gallo gets by him, Lopez/Sanders (depending on who is in) are there waiting at the rim to shut Gallo down.

« Reply #58 on: September 09, 2013, 05:42:37 PM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
Ya, but IP pretty specifically said that Gallo wouldn't be playing the 4 in that situation. Just the Sanders/Lopez combo.

« Reply #59 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:51 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Ya, but IP pretty specifically said that Gallo wouldn't be playing the 4 in that situation. Just the Sanders/Lopez combo.

And I specifically said if Gallo moves to the 4 I would counter with ZBo. If he moves Gallo back to the three then I can put Sanders/Lopez back in.