Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences  (Read 24977 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences
« Reply #45 on: September 05, 2013, 05:00:02 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Washington could be beastly in a couple years, but they don't seem ready to make any real noise this go-around. 

Also, I don't see a press conference from Rebus yet, so it might be a moot point.  Hope he gets one together.

« Reply #46 on: September 05, 2013, 05:14:17 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Question (largely hypothetical) for the Heat:

Imagine that the Commissioner's Office had granted a 24-hour extension to the trading deadline. Would you have taken advantage of that, and how?

Probably not, it was pretty clear about an hour after the Stephenson trade that rosters were all but cemented.

You wouldn't have pursued a fifth big man to solidify your frontcourt rotation? I think just one more big man would have really bolstered your roster. I'm not so confident in Serpahin and Sammy each logging 15-20 minutes a night.

Why would they each be logging 15-20 minutes a night? I can't imagine a circumstance in which Bosh would be only playing 28-33 minutes a night and until this year when Sanders emerged, Dalembert hadn't played under 20 mpg since his rookie year.

Meanwhile Splitter became a starter this year and his minutes rose 5 mpg and I would expect them to do so again this year. I really don't see big man depth as a problem.

Bosh averaged 33 mpg last season. That leaves 15 minutes at his slot. Splitter averaged just under 25 mpg last season, leaving 23 minutes. Hence, 15-20 minutes a night for both Seraphin and Dalembert.

More importantly, you're banking on all four of your bigs remaining healthy and productive through an entire season. Dalembert had a lost season last year filled with DNPs (on the flip side, I guess he's well rested). Seraphin is showing signs of becoming a worthy rotation player, but he's played for a Washington team that's cared little about winning.

You have the thinnest frontcourt rotation in a division that features Nene, Boozer, Amare, Noah, and Millsap (among others). I think it's a potential problem. Orlando has Aaron Gray, who's no great shakes, but can come in for 10-15 minutes as a stopgap measure if a teammate gets into foul trouble. Nick Collison is another capable backup who can do the same. Even a Brendan Haywood type who could sop up minutes on an emergency basis would help alleviate my concerns.

Bosh Averaged 33 minutes last year because Miami was almost exclusively playing LeBron at the 4 which meant there was no time at the position for Bosh. It has nothing to do with his inability to shoulder 36+ a game. Meanwhile, I would be surprised if Splitter wasn't up at around 30 per next year for San Antonio as his minutes jumped from 19 to 24 this year.

But it's strange to me that you're commenting on the relative thinness of my frontcourt when compared to teams with Joakim Noah ( hasn't played over 70 games in 4 years ) Nene( 39, 61 gp the past two years) and Amar'e. Sure, some of these guys might see more minutes, but they have to get on the floor more than they do.

« Reply #47 on: September 05, 2013, 05:49:14 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Miami Heat

PG - Tony Parker, Andre Miller
SG - Lance Stephenson, Anthony Morrow (or A.Shved)
SF - Chandler Parsons, John Salmons
PF - Chris Bosh, Kevin Seraphin
 C - Tiago Splitter, Sam Dalembert

Head Coach - Alvin Gentry

Thoughts on Bosh

I would have liked to have seen different big men around Chris Bosh. For Bosh to play more minutes at center. Even if Bosh was not starting at C, I would've liked to have seen him start at PF but play a good chunk of his time at C when the starting center rested.

I think this Miami roster isn't going to get as much out of Bosh offensively as they would like to. Playing PF full time will make it easier for opponents to defend him. Playing alongside centers with limited range offensively will force Bosh to spend more time in the high post taking lower efficiency shot attempts.

Thoughts on Chandler Parsons

Chandler Parsons will be the third option. Had a very impressive season for Houston. Above average defender and rebounder. Showed solid handles and passing skills. Can score reasonably well and is a very good and efficient shooter. Well rounded player. Adds a lot to a team.

I think Miami should consider some lineups where Parsons plays the PF alongside Bosh (C) similar to how Toronto used to use Jorge Garbajosa when Toronto won the division title several years ago. I wish Miami had a stronger backup SG/SF for that lineup but I still think it will be a weapon worth using and way of better enabling Bosh to get the most out of his talent.

Rest of the Team

Tony Parker will be the most valuable player for the Miami Heat. I think he'll do very well and be one of the best players in the East.

Lance Stephenson provides tough defense at SG and some ball-handling on offense. Tiago Splitter adds good interior finishing and very strong pick and roll play offensively in addition to his pretty solid defense + rebounding.

Sam Dalembert is a good backup C. He has declined a lot in recent years especially his help defense but is still a quality backup C. I think Kevin Seraphin is more of an undersized center than a PF but where needs must he can give some minutes at PF.

Andre Miller is still a very effective PG. Defense needs to be hidden but offensively still a very capable player. I like him off the bench.

Not wild about the backup wings. They are all serviceable enough but nothing to get excited about. Morrow adds excellent long range shooting. John Salmons is an erratic two way player. Shved an exciting ball-handler and playmaking two guard.

Head Coach

I do not like Alvin Gentry. Only one of his teams (2010 Suns) in his 10+ years has impressed me. The rest underachieved. I think he is a dodgy coach.

Overall

I started the day thinking Miami would be fighting for third place in the division but now I think I was off the mark on that. I think they will be fighting with Washington for first place. Undecided on who wins that.

I have Atlanta 3rd and Orlando 4th (Kobe's torn achilles).

« Reply #48 on: September 05, 2013, 10:52:23 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Washington Wizards
Starting Lineup
PG: John Wall
SG: Klay Thompson
SF: Kyle Singler
PF: Amir Johnson
C: Joakim Noah
Bench Mob
6th Man: Tobias Harris as a combo forward. Most of his time will be spent as a smaller 4 ala what Melo was doing to the Knicks this year with some time spent as a small forward

Swingman: Mike Dunleavy. Dunleavy will backup both the small forward and shooting guard spots. Looking to him to provide outside shooting and a vet presence.

3rd Big: Spencer Hawes. Hawes will come off the bench to play minutes mainly as a backup center but if needed at power forward.

The backup pg: Devin Harris. Harris will be another bench vet and will be there to provide Wall a breather and to run the second unit offense. Depending on matchups and health throughout the year, he will also play some shooting guard.

The Swiss Army Knife: Evan Turner. Turner will come off the bench to play sf,sg and point forward as need be.

Wearing Suits and Looking Good:
Wes Johnson, Brenden Haywood, Gerald Green

Dunk Contest Representative: Gerald Green
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 10:58:28 PM by RebusRankin »

« Reply #49 on: September 05, 2013, 11:01:20 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Why aren't you starting Harris? He's a offensive problem for any 4 trying to match up against him, and he spaces the floor way better than Amir does. Noah's good enough that any defensive issues the team has (which really aren't that many) that he can help mitigate any mistakes.

Set him free. Birds are meant to fly, Rebus.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #50 on: September 05, 2013, 11:32:42 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
At the moment, thinking will start the season with Amir in the starting lineup for D and rebounding and will use Harris off the bench. I envision him playing 30 a night as a 6th man and in crunch time.

« Reply #51 on: September 06, 2013, 05:22:49 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
At the moment, thinking will start the season with Amir in the starting lineup for D and rebounding and will use Harris off the bench. I envision him playing 30 a night as a 6th man and in crunch time.
Yeah, I think that is the best way to handle it. Start Amir, play T.Harris big minutes off bench.

I think Tobias Harris is a better option at SF than PF if looking to put him into the starting lineup. With T.Harris sliding over to PF when Amir Johnson goes to the bench and one of the SFs coming in. Not a strong defensive SF but not as bad as people make him out to be either. Under-rated defender/rebounder at SF -- uses his size + bulk pretty well. Physical. He is fine there as starter.

Not ready to start at the PF position at this stage in his career. Too weak of a defender/rebounder. He'll get obliterated. Cause too many problems. Better to start him at SF and slide him over to PF later or use as 6th man.

Actually, that (starting T.Harris at SF) might be the better for Washington given the alternatives at SF. Harris more competent starting three than Singler (or Dunleavy) and a better fit in that lineup than E.Turner (who I don't like alongside J.Wall + Amir/Noah).

« Reply #52 on: September 06, 2013, 08:24:42 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Quite frankly, and considering I really like Reebus, which makes this hard to say, I just don't see what is so special about this team.

Yeah, Rebus is one of my favorite GMs, but I've got his team outside of the playoffs.  The team has tons of future potential, but I don't see it as a "win now" team when compared to some of the league-wide competition.

Gotta a agree with both of you here. Wall Thompson combo is great. After that there is no fire power. Not a playoff team in my eyes.