Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences  (Read 24874 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Southeast Division Press Conferences
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2013, 02:44:44 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Every team but Miami: Why is your team better than Miami? Currently I have them as the clear cut #1 team in this division - and the conference.

Interesting question.  Here's a question for you, why do you have Miami as the clear cut favorite?  I think Atlanta is probably the team to beat in both the division and conference (my Bucks will be there with them though).

Strong perimeter play matters, and the Hawks have it in spades.

Yes. I agree with KG Knee here and am also curious.

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2013, 02:50:33 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Every team but Miami: Why is your team better than Miami? Currently I have them as the clear cut #1 team in this division - and the conference.

Good question - Miami is a fine team and definitely a threat in the East.  Given that two of our best will probably miss some regular season time, I can't speak much about whether we can have a better record in the regular season. 

But here's why we'd beat them in the playoffs - while we don't have as many flashy names as our fellow Floridians, we have the assets to overwhelm them in a 7-game series.

We have superior defense, particularly on the perimeter and against the pick+roll.  Offense can win in the regular season, but defense usually carries the day when it counts. 

We also have a far stronger bench - Head-to-head their starting lineup will be a challenge for ours, but by mixing in heavy doses of Amar'e, Jack, MWP, and Collison, we can throw wave after wave of fresh legs and fresh looks their way, grinding out games and wearing their stars down over the course of the matchup.

But our biggest advantage is much better coaching - Eric Spoelstra has led two straight championship campaigns, with a bonus Finals trip to boot, all while managing superstar egos in new roles and reinventing an offense on the fly.  Alvin Gentry has been fired from 4 different positions and is currently an assistant with the Clippers.  Both teams are very talented, but Spoelstra will make far better use of our talent than Gentry will of theirs.  Coupled with our versatile players and deep bench, Spoelstra will be able to formulate a superior strategy and make mid-game and -series adjustments faster than Gentry will be able to keep up.  Unless we're pretending we'll just roll the ball out and let them play, we have an absolutely massive advantage here. 
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:04:00 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2013, 02:50:44 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830

Interesting question.  Here's a question for you, why do you have Miami as the clear cut favorite?  I think Atlanta is probably the team to beat in both the division and conference (my Bucks will be there with them though).

Strong perimeter play matters, and the Hawks have it in spades.

Are you calling Tony Parker, Chandler Parsons and Lance Stephenson weak perimeter players?

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Orlando:  Prove to me Amare can actually be counted on for anything other than collecting a check.  In my eyes he is washed up and useless.

Based on your phrasing, I don't think there's any conceivable way I could do that.  Who is one of the most knowledgeable guys here and has some pretty nice words about his play last season, though.  Thanks for the question!

« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2013, 03:00:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
Not wild about Ron Artest. I think he can make a fine backup SF but is too erratic offensively nowadays to be a starter logging minutes. No longer dominant enough defensively to make up for his errors offensively.

Who:  Thanks for the kind words overall.  A lot of evaluating this team is based on trying to predict Kobe's future, but I feel very good about putting him in the best possible position to succeed.  I'm especially glad you noticed the improvement in Amar'e's game last season - despite being slowed by injuries he showed a lot of fresh skills, especially down low.  He's clearly been working hard even as his body has given him trouble.

RE: Artest - this might've gotten lost in the presser, but after Kobe returns I expect to primarily start Carter at the 3.  We have enough defense in the starting lineup to make up for any issues he'd have, and he adds an extra scoring punch and spacing we could use. 

MWP complements the scorers off the bench better than the more defensive-minded starting group.  We may occasionally start him against elite wings, although bringing him to bruise up those guys just as they start to get tired could be a major strategic advantage, too.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 03:12:21 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #35 on: September 05, 2013, 03:12:02 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
There's a few issues I have with Atlanta's team. They're a great team, don't get me wrong, but I don't think they can keep up with some other teams.

Their frontcourt is my greatest concern. Boozer is a sorry defender, and while Nene is solid, that doesn't mean much if he's not on the court. Nene has had some big injury issues the last three seasons, and while that typically wouldn't be enough for me to seriously consider him an injury risk, let's keep in mind Nene's injury history dates back all the way to his earlier seasons. Even if we assume Nene does stay healthy, his minutes will need to be strictly monitored; he hasn't played north of 30 minutes in three seasons now, and he's never topped 33.6. Atlanta's playing him 28 each night, but backing him up is a 6'7 center who could never earn Pop's trust, and a rookie who has spent his entire summer rehabbing from two ankle injuries.

This points to another issue I have about the team: depth. As it stands, Gerald Henderson seems to be the primary option off the bench, but I'm not a big fan of his at all. The only thing he has shown to do during his career is putting up a ton of empty points, and doing it quite inconsistently. Obviously, the consequences of his play are diminished coming off the bench, but that's the theme of Atlanta's bench to me. Outside of Lin, there is nobody I would trust to have on a playoff team (with all due respect to John Henson, who I love but still think needs some time to develop).

Just to get by in the regular season, this team needs to be relying on Wade and Pierce (and even Boozer) much more than 30 minutes per game. It has solid perimeter defense but the interior is incredibly dependent on the durability of Nene, and there isn't much insurance behind him with young and/or unproven players.

« Reply #36 on: September 05, 2013, 03:14:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I will say this, if Kobe is actually healthy and back in form (face it, he was still a beast last year), Orlando is a very tough team to beat.

George Hill and Kobe form possibly the best guard combo in the league.  SF is a huge question mark for this team though.  I wouldn't want either Wince Carter or Metta World War starting for me.  Both are best suited to bench roles.

« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2013, 03:28:46 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I will say this, if Kobe is actually healthy and back in form (face it, he was still a beast last year), Orlando is a very tough team to beat.

George Hill and Kobe form possibly the best guard combo in the league.  SF is a huge question mark for this team though.  I wouldn't want either Wince Carter or Metta World War starting for me.  Both are best suited to bench roles.

Interestingly enough, I think SF is the most reliable position for Orlando. Neither Carter or Artest are effective as years past, but they're still very competent playing ~20 minute roles. Neither are selfish players at this stage in their careers, and I think this is a rare instance where a timeshare will work brilliantly. Furthermore, this must be the hundredth time saying this, but man is Vince Carter underrated here!

« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2013, 03:30:37 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

Thanks - TP.  The SF position is our weakest, but Carter quietly had his best season in years and has plenty of experience at the spot.  MWP's main job will be to beat up on the other team's best wing and wear them down for our starters while grabbing some boards and making easy looks.  The two make a nice offense/defense change of pace to throw at teams.  Harkless and Brewer will eat up some minutes here and there too - Mo in particular gives us a nice occasional shot of athleticism.

We also will be playing Kobe at the 3 a fair amount with Jack and Hill running the backcourt.  It has to get done by committee but we've got enough good options to get what we need from the position.

« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2013, 03:55:27 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Washington Wizards

PG - John Wall, Devin Harris
SG - Klay Thompson, Mike Dunleavy
SF - Kyle Singler, Evan Turner
PF - Amir Johnson, Tobias Harris
 C - Joakim Noah, Spencer Hawes

Head Coach - Mike Budenholzer

Starting Lineup

Three very strong positions (PG, SG, C). Probably the best backcourt in the league with John Wall and Klay Thompson. Second best center in the East with Joakim Noah.

Two relatively weak points at the two forward slots. I think Kyle Singler is the most stable option at SF and allows Washington to bring two more dynamic options at quick forward off the bench.

Amir Johnson will be the PF. A very good defender/rebounder with a weak offensive game. He has become stronger and more physical defensively in recent seasons which has improved his man-to-man defense considerably. I think the Amir Johnson and Joakim Noah combination will be very similar to Taj Gibson and Joakim Noah in Chicago. An excellent defensive + rebounding duo but lacking in offense.

Bench

This is the other really strong point for Washington. They have a terrific bench. Second best bench in the East after Orlando.

PG - Devin Harris
SG - Mike Dunleavy
SF - Evan Turner
PF - Tobias Harris
 C - Spencer Hawes

An excellent group of players. I have each guy ranked in the top five at each respective position. A very good backup PG in Devin Harris. A terrific floor spacer and offensive facilitator in Mike Dunleavy. A multi-dimensional role player in Evan Turner who provides plus defense, rebounding, ball-handling and passing but still has problems with his scoring.

A top notch (backup) offensive forward in Tobias Harris who can create matchup problems at SF (with size/bulk and post game) and PF (with speed/mobility and perimeter skills). And a highly skilled legitimate seven foot center in Spencer Hawes.

I think Tobias Harris in particular will give Washington a great look at PF to end games. His floor stretching and offensive punch will be a lethal weapon off the bench alongside the playmaking of John Wall, shooting of Klay Thompson and high level interior work of Joakim Noah.

Coach - Mike Budenholzer - rookie, off to a bad start with DUI

Overall

I love the backcourt and I love Joakim Noah. A terrific bench behind them to give their starters a big boost.

I think Washington have a really good team here. I am thinking they are 5th in my East rankings.

« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2013, 04:08:35 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Washington: Echoing Who's statements, I really like this team, and I don't think enough people realize the potency of this team. However, I was interested in seeing your reasoning of starting Kyle Singler at SF. It seems like Dunleavy would be a better option here.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 04:13:55 PM by rondoallaturca »

« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Washington Wizards

PG - John Wall, Devin Harris
SG - Klay Thompson, Mike Dunleavy
SF - Kyle Singler, Evan Turner
PF - Amir Johnson, Tobias Harris
 C - Joakim Noah, Spencer Hawes

Head Coach - Mike Budenholzer
Bench

This is the other really strong point for Washington. They have a terrific bench. Second best bench in the East after Orlando.

PG - Devin Harris
SG - Mike Dunleavy
SF - Evan Turner
PF - Tobias Harris
 C - Spencer Hawes

An excellent group of players. I have each guy ranked in the top five at each respective position. A very good backup PG in Devin Harris. A terrific floor spacer and offensive facilitator in Mike Dunleavy. A multi-dimensional role player in Evan Turner who provides plus defense, rebounding, ball-handling and passing but still has problems with his scoring.

A top notch (backup) offensive forward in Tobias Harris who can create matchup problems at SF (with size/bulk and post game) and PF (with speed/mobility and perimeter skills). And a highly skilled legitimate seven foot center in Spencer Hawes.

I think Tobias Harris in particular will give Washington a great look at PF to end games. His floor stretching and offensive punch will be a lethal weapon off the bench alongside the playmaking of John Wall, shooting of Klay Thompson and high level interior work of Joakim Noah.

Interestingly enough, well not that interesting, I find myself in disagreement with Who quite often, I am not enamored with this bench that much.

Turner is a terrible offensive player (negative offensive win share), while solid on defense .  Tobias Harris is just too unproven for my liking, while emerging. Dunleavy is playing out of position, and is a barely passable defender.

Devin Harris is solid, as well as Hawes, and are really the only two bench players I really like on this team.

Quite frankly, and considering I really like Reebus, which makes this hard to say, I just don't see what is so special about this team.  A starting lineup with Kyle Singler in it  would scare me as a fan of this team (or Dunleavy/Turner).

« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2013, 04:14:21 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Washington: Echoing Who's statements, I really like this team, and I don't think enough people realize the potency of this team. However, I was interesting in seeing your reasoning of starting Kyle Singler at SF. It seems like Dunleavy would be a better option here.
I think Singler is the better defender (vs Dunleavy) and best defender/shooter of the group.

I thought Singler had a really nice season for Detroit. Showed himself to be a very capable rotation player albeit preferably a backup SF. Not wild about Evan Turner's offensive game in that starting lineup which is why I think he should come off the bench. And Mike Dunleavy is too weak defensively to be a starter anymore. I don't think Singler needs to play big minutes. Maybe only 20mpg as starting SF.

Mike Dunleavy is still a [dang] fine bench player though. He is going to be great for Chicago next season (and for Washington in this CB League). I really love how Chicago have rebuilt that team's second unit. Lots of length and lots of shooters. Thibs and D-Rose are going to be very tough next season.

« Reply #43 on: September 05, 2013, 04:33:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Question (largely hypothetical) for the Heat:

Imagine that the Commissioner's Office had granted a 24-hour extension to the trading deadline. Would you have taken advantage of that, and how?

Probably not, it was pretty clear about an hour after the Stephenson trade that rosters were all but cemented.

You wouldn't have pursued a fifth big man to solidify your frontcourt rotation? I think just one more big man would have really bolstered your roster. I'm not so confident in Serpahin and Sammy each logging 15-20 minutes a night.

Why would they each be logging 15-20 minutes a night? I can't imagine a circumstance in which Bosh would be only playing 28-33 minutes a night and until this year when Sanders emerged, Dalembert hadn't played under 20 mpg since his rookie year.

Meanwhile Splitter became a starter this year and his minutes rose 5 mpg and I would expect them to do so again this year. I really don't see big man depth as a problem.

Bosh averaged 33 mpg last season. That leaves 15 minutes at his slot. Splitter averaged just under 25 mpg last season, leaving 23 minutes. Hence, 15-20 minutes a night for both Seraphin and Dalembert.

More importantly, you're banking on all four of your bigs remaining healthy and productive through an entire season. Dalembert had a lost season last year filled with DNPs (on the flip side, I guess he's well rested). Seraphin is showing signs of becoming a worthy rotation player, but he's played for a Washington team that's cared little about winning.

You have the thinnest frontcourt rotation in a division that features Nene, Boozer, Amare, Noah, and Millsap (among others). I think it's a potential problem. Orlando has Aaron Gray, who's no great shakes, but can come in for 10-15 minutes as a stopgap measure if a teammate gets into foul trouble. Nick Collison is another capable backup who can do the same. Even a Brendan Haywood type who could sop up minutes on an emergency basis would help alleviate my concerns.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #44 on: September 05, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25634
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Quite frankly, and considering I really like Reebus, which makes this hard to say, I just don't see what is so special about this team.

Yeah, Rebus is one of my favorite GMs, but I've got his team outside of the playoffs.  The team has tons of future potential, but I don't see it as a "win now" team when compared to some of the league-wide competition. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes