Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Central Division Press Conferences  (Read 118151 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Central Division Press Conferences
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2013, 01:17:27 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
... and Derrick Rose being out. And Cleveland and Detroit in full rebuild mode. And the real Bucks just being terrible.

Indiana had the third best record in the league last year, and obviously demonstrated they could take down the elite teams in the league. Even if you swapped out the bottom-dwellers in their division, they'd still be putting up a very solid record.

I'm not doubting Milwaukee's ability to put up a solid record with Paul George and co. I think they will make the playoffs. But I don't think they can win a division as competitive as this one. I personally believe it will be either Cleveland or Indiana.

« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2013, 01:20:13 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Also, the real life pacers lead the league in Defensive efficiency last year by Hollingers Metrics, I don't see this Milwaukee team being in the same class of defense specifically because of the gap between hibbert/West and Okafor/Anderson.

Okafor only played 26 mpg last year.  Smith will need to fill in and I don't think he can provide top notch defense the team will need
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #92 on: September 04, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Well yes, this several times over.  but also, im not sure I see somebody on that team capable of putting together the superb seasons that Hibbert and West put together.  West was out of his mind for most of the year, shooting at just under 50% while rebounding/defending and distributing.  Neither Anderson nor Okafor are in his class IMO

If that's David West "playing out of his mind" for you, you are severely underrating him. His performance last season was in line with just about everything he's accomplished throughout his career, excluding his first season with Indiana when he was coming off a major knee injury. Anyway, Conley is significantly better than Hill, Redick is better than Stephenson, and while Anderson/Okafor are inferiors to West/Hibbert, they have the skill to fill a similar role. Besides the point, it's pointless trying to compare real life Indiana with CBlog Milwaukee. The point is that neither team's success entirely depends on George alone.

« Reply #93 on: September 04, 2013, 01:22:54 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I have a really hard time seeding teams in this division.  Cleveland clearly has the best team to me, but they are going to be restricting minutes heavily to stay fresh for the playoffs.  But both Indiana and Milwaukee have significant flaws, especially up front.  I'm leaning toward Indiana in first because of their star power, but it'll be tough.  Either way I think Cleveland, if healthy, is the best playoff team.

« Reply #94 on: September 04, 2013, 01:23:25 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Well yes, this several times over.  but also, im not sure I see somebody on that team capable of putting together the superb seasons that Hibbert and West put together.  West was out of his mind for most of the year, shooting at just under 50% while rebounding/defending and distributing.  Neither Anderson nor Okafor are in his class IMO

If that's David West "playing out of his mind" for you, you are severely underrating him. His performance last season was in line with just about everything he's accomplished throughout his career, excluding his first season with Indiana when he was coming off a major knee injury. Anyway, Conley is significantly better than Hill, Redick is better than Stephenson, and while Anderson/Okafor are inferiors to West/Hibbert, they have the skill to fill a similar role. Besides the point, it's pointless trying to compare real life Indiana with CBlog Milwaukee. The point is that neither team's success entirely depends on George alone.

Well yes, I was comparing West to his post injury form of the year previous.  I think West's improvement was just as crucial to Indy winning the division as George's improvement.  But I digress
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #95 on: September 04, 2013, 01:28:01 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
I'm not doubting Milwaukee's ability to put up a solid record with Paul George and co. I think they will make the playoffs. But I don't think they can win a division as competitive as this one. I personally believe it will be either Cleveland or Indiana.

Well the disparity between the regular season record of Milwaukee and Cleveland won't be that much. The only thing that edges Milwaukee will be your team's minute restrictions. As Boston has proved through the past few years, it's tough establishing a fully functioning unit that will perform to its potential in the regular season considering all the practices and game plans are designed with the postseason in mind.

And to be honest, I've tried avoiding this point for a bit now, but I have to come out and say Indiana does not impress me at all, with all due respect to Rondo2287. D-Will and Durant is nice but the rest of the roster is a mess to me. Especially factoring in Deron's tendency to break down towards the end of the season in recent years, I'm not sure how far this team can go when it already has to ride on those two so heavily during the regular season.

To clarify things, this is how I see the division: Milwaukee/Cleveland are going to be the clear-cut 1/2 of this division. Indiana is a definite step below those two teams. Detroit will finish last but is pretty much the unanimous TOTF.

« Reply #96 on: September 04, 2013, 01:35:00 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Well the disparity between the regular season record of Milwaukee and Cleveland won't be that much. The only thing that edges Milwaukee will be your team's minute restrictions. As Boston has proved through the past few years, it's tough establishing a fully functioning unit that will perform to its potential in the regular season considering all the practices and game plans are designed with the postseason in mind.

And to be honest, I've tried avoiding this point for a bit now, but I have to come out and say Indiana does not impress me at all, with all due respect to Rondo2287. D-Will and Durant is nice but the rest of the roster is a mess to me. Especially factoring in Deron's tendency to break down towards the end of the season in recent years, I'm not sure how far this team can go when it already has to ride on those two so heavily during the regular season.

To clarify things, this is how I see the division: Milwaukee/Cleveland are going to be the clear-cut 1/2 of this division. Indiana is a definite step below those two teams. Detroit will finish last but is pretty much the unanimous TOTF.

Interesting take I guess, but seeing as how I tend to disagree with most of the other evaluations you have made regarding the central division I can't say im surprised.  oh well, thats what's good about these drafts, hearing different points of view on different players. 

« Reply #97 on: September 04, 2013, 01:40:51 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Interesting take I guess, but seeing as how I tend to disagree with most of the other evaluations you have made regarding the central division I can't say im surprised.  oh well, thats what's good about these drafts, hearing different points of view on different players.

I agree. I love all the different perspectives to be found around here. TP for recognizing my opinion is just that, an opinion. Let me know if you want me to explain the issues I have with your team though!

« Reply #98 on: September 04, 2013, 01:45:03 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
I will say though, I think people sometimes over-rate depth here because of Danny's recent method of team building.  Because the Celts were full of aging stars we needed depth all the way through the roster.

the 2010-11 heat started Mike Bibby and Joel Anthony/Big Z in the playoffs and lost in the championship in a league that was much more top heavy than this league.  Stars win in the NBA, especially if they can play 40 plus minutes in the playoffs.

« Reply #99 on: September 04, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Anything else for Cleveland? I wanna make sure I answer everyone's questions / address any doubts.

« Reply #100 on: September 04, 2013, 01:55:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
I will say though, I think people sometimes over-rate depth here because of Danny's recent method of team building.  Because the Celts were full of aging stars we needed depth all the way through the roster.

the 2010-11 heat started Mike Bibby and Joel Anthony/Big Z in the playoffs and lost in the championship in a league that was much more top heavy than this league.  Stars win in the NBA, especially if they can play 40 plus minutes in the playoffs.

Yeah, I think Durant gives you a major major bump. Nobody else in the conference has a player like Durant who can single-handily improve a team like Durant can.

« Reply #101 on: September 04, 2013, 01:57:12 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones

Yeah, I think Durant gives you a major major bump. Nobody else in the conference has a player like Durant who can single-handily improve a team like Durant can.

Exactly.  Picking 2nd automatically hurts your depth as a team, and my trade didnt help my depth, but I do think trotting out a starting lineup with both Deron and Durant puts my team in a class above most of the others in the conference.  Especially considering the solid role players I did manage to get up and down my roster.  No other stars but plenty of players that serve a purpose and bring something valuable to the table.

« Reply #102 on: September 04, 2013, 01:58:51 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Anything else for Cleveland? I wanna make sure I answer everyone's questions / address any doubts.

I don't think there's much else to say. You have a good team that can compete with the best, but it's certainly not a clear-cut #1 - no one is, really. It's going to come down to matchups and voter perception, honestly. By the looks of things, a lot of deserving teams won't even make it to the conference finals.

However, I will suggest you look over your defensive stoppers. From our discussion, I don't think you're giving Gerald Wallace enough credit. I think a lot of distaste from Boston's acquisition of him has really made him underrated around these parts. On the flip side, I think you're hugely overrating Tony Allen - and this is coming from the GM of DKC Grizzlies.

« Reply #103 on: September 04, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
The last three titles went to the team with the best player on the planet during the playoffs,

Dallas (Dirk)
Miami (Lebron)
Miami (Lebron)

I think Durant has the capability to play at that level and the rest of the team is good enough not to cause the ship to sink.  I don't see another team in the east with a player that can rise to that level.

« Reply #104 on: September 04, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2411
Just look at the best player on the rest of the East's teams:

Atlanta = D-Wade
Boston = Kyrie or Pau
Brooklyn = Westbrook
Chicago = J.Holiday
Cleveland = Horford
Detroit = Beal
Milwaukee = Paul George
New York = Z.Randolph or B.Lopez
Orlando = Kobe
Philly = Steph Curry
Washington = John Wall

Nobody on that list is anywhere near Kevin Durant as an individual talent. Far and away above everyone else in the Conference. It's not even close. Nobody.

I mean, look at those players, most of them are on a similar level as Deron Williams.

None of them come close to Durant.

And I think that gives Indy a big, big bump in my view of things.