Author Topic: 2013 CB Draft: Central Division Press Conferences  (Read 117412 times)

Re: 2013 CB Draft: Central Division Press Conferences
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2013, 09:59:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Cleveland: You are a team that seemingly like the real life Celtics from 2009-2011 are built for a deep playoff run but possibly only very good regular season success. Once in the playoffs, what teams are you looking at that you feel would give your team the most trouble and why?

« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2013, 10:00:25 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 460
Question For Cleveland: Given the fact that KG will need to control his minutes and as you said likely sit out back to back games this year where do you expect to finish in the east?  I assume you are under the Doc Rivers plan of make it to the playoffs and then let the dogs loose.

Good question. TP.

Garnett will be limited to 25 minutes per game during most regular season games and will not play in back-to-backs (the likely plan is he will sit out against the weaker opponent of the two). Once we arrive at the playoffs, KG will play upwards of 33 minutes per game, every game.

So yes, we are planning to "make it to the playoffs and then let the dogs loose." However, that doesn't mean that the other 12 (or 11) guys aren't expected to give it their all every night. KG's teammates understand that for the Cavs to have the best shot in the playoffs, two things need to happen.
1. We need KG to be rested
2. We need home-court advantage as much as possible
In order for number 2 to happen, we gotta win as many games as possible in the regular season. So as far as "coasting" goes (I believe that's the term I've heard used), there will be no coasting from these Cavs.

Even with limited minutes, Garnett can still set a defensive tone for an entire game. This past season, the Celtics suffered greatly when Garnett wasn't on the floor because there was no legitimate second big option. The Cavs have Horford. Two very different scenarios. And, with respect to back-to-backs, we believe a lineup of Lawson-Allen-Butler-Landry-Horford is still extremely competitive and will still win many games.

The goal here is the first seed. That's what I'll tell you guys and it's what Lionel will tell the Cavs players.

« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2013, 10:01:58 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Indiana: In retrospect, would you still make your initial trade giving up basically your 2nd, 3rd, and 4th rounders for a first rounder? I happen to believe if you at the very least got back a 5th and 8th instead of the late rounders you did, your team might just be the team to beat in the East rather than fighting for positioning in the East.

For instance, just looking at who got selected at GSW's spot in those rounds it seems having AK47 instead of Marvin Williams and Reggie Jackson instead of Shaun Livingston would have been a significant upgrade of your bench.

So in retrospect, I would have liked to have gotten a better return on my deal but im not sorry I moved up to grab that other first rounder.  I agree that had I waited and gotten a return similar to that of other trades for first rounders I would have been in better shape, but Im still happy with where I turned out.   (and as a BC guy im sorry to say it but I actually prefer livingston to jackson overall, very different skillsets both good players, but I like the passing and size that Livingston brings over the offense that Jackson does, at least for my team)

So would I still make the trade?  Probably because im very happy with my team and getting Deron at pick 21 I think it was, was a steal in my mind, I had him firmly in the top 10 players avaialable.  But I would have preferred to get more back, who wouldnt!
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2013, 10:03:17 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
To All Teams: This is probably the toughest division in the league. Who's the 2nd best team in this division and why?(The assumption being you all think you have the best team.)

I think Cleveland is the second best team in the division.  A good point guard and two very good big men is a great core to build a team around.  Their wing play I think is suspect but the 1, 4,5 spots are very very good.
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2013, 10:08:34 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
Cleveland: You are a team that seemingly like the real life Celtics from 2009-2011 are built for a deep playoff run but possibly only very good regular season success. Once in the playoffs, what teams are you looking at that you feel would give your team the most trouble and why?

The obvious answer here is Minnesota. LeBron will give any team he plays a hard time. However, even though we drafted our SF platoon later than the rest of our core players, we believe we're very well-equipped to take down LeBron and his team. I once read a post by a CBer that the best way to beat a LeBron James team is to shut down his teammates and contain LeBron himself. With Garnett, Horford, and Allen, we have the pieces to shut down LeBron's teammates. With the final piece of the puzzle in Wallace, we are able to contain LeBron.

The less obvious answer (which I'm sure is what you were asking for) is likely Boston, and for one real reason: their size. Kyrie's an average 6'2", but after him, Gordon is 6'8", Danilo is 6'10", Pau is 7'0" and Jonas is either 6'11" or 6'10". The bigs matchup will be fine against Horford and Garnett, but the height of that wings pairing could cause some added difficulty. Luckily, we have Tony Allen on staff to handle Gordon, which I absolutely believe he can do, and as for Danilo, one of Wallace or Butler will have to pick him up and do their best to contest his shots.

I would like to say, though, that even though these teams may give us trouble, that doesn't mean we won't beat them ;)

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2013, 10:09:05 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Indiana: How do you feel about your frontcourt? Do you believe you can contend despite its lack of size and defense?

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2013, 10:12:18 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
To All Teams: This is probably the toughest division in the league. Who's the 2nd best team in this division and why?(The assumption being you all think you have the best team.)

I think Cleveland is the second best team in the division.  A good point guard and two very good big men is a great core to build a team around.  Their wing play I think is suspect but the 1, 4,5 spots are very very good.

I appreciate the compliment, and I'll return it: Indi is the second best team, following Cleveland. Durant and Deron can certainly do a ton of damage on their own, but not enough to knock off a team like Cleveland.

And to address the wing play, which I'm sure will come up often in this thread, I think we were quite fortunate to be able to grab Butler and Wallace. Butler is still an excellent scorer from anywhere on the floor, and was an asset on a playoff team last year. Wallace is still one of the toughest guys in the league. While we may not have a superstar at the SF spot, we have enough there to remain very competitive.

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2013, 10:12:51 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Indiana: How do you feel about your frontcourt? Do you believe you can contend despite its lack of size and defense?

I don't feel that my frontcourt is necessarily undersized.  I think scola at 6'9 is a little undersized, but Lopez at 7 feet is perfect for a center.  Also, I'm not worried about the defense.  Lopez has proven to be a capable defender, and while Scola may be taken advantage of a little bit on the defensive end I think what he gives up is more than made up for by his floor stretching on the offensive end. 

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2013, 10:22:35 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
To both Indiana and Cleveland:  Both of you feel that Milwaukee is the third seed in this division. What makes your team better than them, and why? I have them ahead of both of you in the regular season.

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2013, 10:23:14 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
Also for what its worth, Lopez scored 15 or more points 23 times last year, he scored 10 or more points 45 times.  Im very happy with what Lopez provides from an energy, man to man defense and offensive perspective.

« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2013, 10:25:22 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Cleveland: I agree with your assessment that Lawson is criminally underrated and personally consider him a premier PG. question being, when Lawson sits I see a lack of playmaking on the roster. I assume you could give the duties to Jamal but that will likely hamper him from simply worrying about scoring. How will this offense function when Lawson sits? Also, when KG rests?
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2013, 10:27:57 AM »

Offline AB_Celtic

• DKC Commish
  • Ray Allen
To both Indiana and Cleveland:  Both of you feel that Milwaukee is the third seed in this division. What makes your team better than them, and why? I have them ahead of both of you in the regular season.

While Milwaukee has a lot of excellent individual pieces, they're pretty much a one-trick pony in my eyes, at least offensively. They are definitely the best three-point shooting team in the league, and while that can certainly win many regular-season games (see last years Knicks), it doesn't always lead to postseason success or even make you the better team.

Ranking Milwaukee ahead of the Cavs because you think they'll have a better regular-season record is fine. I understand that no matter how much I argue, people are going to view the KG limitation as a weakness of my team. Ranking Milwaukee ahead of the Cavs because you think they're the better team when it comes to the playoffs (with all respect to KGK) is a mistake, IMO.

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 10:28:31 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Also for what its worth, Lopez scored 15 or more points 23 times last year, he scored 10 or more points 45 times.  Im very happy with what Lopez provides from an energy, man to man defense and offensive perspective.
Does his lack of rebounding concern you? His rebounding for a 7 footer is really bad.

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 10:28:52 AM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
Cleveland: I just realized Tony Allen is playing 15 minutes of SF in the playoffs rather than the regular season. Do you feel you're stretching his defensive ability a little too thin by doing that? He has demonstrated to cover SFs in spot situations before, but 15 minutes?! Wouldn't it make sense to play Wallace instead?

« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2013, 10:32:18 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
To Indiana: Who is Jeff Taylor?