Author Topic: Celtics ban fan for two years for verbal abuse toward Boogie  (Read 3949 times)

Re: Celtics ban fan for two years for verbal abuse toward Boogie
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2019, 01:36:00 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Ummm… You can refuse to bake cakes for gay people in this country, I'm pretty sure it's fine for a business to ban people who hurl abuse at valuable employees.

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2019, 01:46:15 PM »

Offline CptZoogs

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 79
If team start preventing fans from booing and heckling it will only be a matter of time before fans will not be allowed to cheer. Perhaps not hometown fans but a celtics fan watching the game in la will be prohibitted from cheering for boston because it will upset someone in section 15 row j that saved up all year to go watch lebron.

If I give birth to a giraffe, then it’s only a matter of time before I have giraffe grandkids...
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 02:13:49 PM by CptZoogs »

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2019, 03:02:26 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 540
Unfortunately, this is looking like an Adam Jones 2.0 situation here, where a sensitive, thin-skinned player, accuses an opponent's fan of racially charged verbal abuse. Then, despite no corroborating witnesses or video/audio evidence, the media plows through the details and pushes the narrative that gets clicks.

There is now an entire industry built up around selling racism. It's so infrequent in 2019, they literally have to make it up every chance they get.
I'd be more inclined to believe that someone yelled a slur at Boogie vs the Jones situation.  No corroborating witnesses for Jones - who's far enough away from the crowd where you'd really have to yell it loud to be heard - I just think that whole situation was b.s. with Sox ownership wanting to stay as far away from controversy as possible.

As far as Boogie is concerned, many resent the Warriors to begin with, Boogie, let's face it has often been a jerk throughout his career, so I can see someone crossing the line in a heated game.  (Go on Youtube to Cedric Maxwell going into the stands to punch a fan or the fan attacking ref Richie Powers during the Phoenix 2OT Finals game to see how emotions can get out of control during a basketball game).

So I can definitely see that happening.  Given the cost of the seats near the floor I'm guessing that it was not a season ticket holder nor someone employed by a company that holds the seats.

But of course the national media will blow it out of proportion. It works just like the news does these days - a reporter starts with a point of view - then crafts their story angle to align with that point of view. 

As far as drawing any conclusions from it about Boston sports fans though, I draw none.

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2019, 04:27:18 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
Boogie is a kind of love him or hate him personality , i imagine with fans .  Im sure he has encountered bad reception s from most all cities at one time or another to some extinct, even racial hate..   Seems odd that to all of a sudden pick out a bad fan in Boston .  i never heckled players at games , but i gave refs what for in many a sport over the years.   ;D

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2019, 04:50:05 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 128
Unfortunately, this is looking like an Adam Jones 2.0 situation here, where a sensitive, thin-skinned player, accuses an opponent's fan of racially charged verbal abuse. Then, despite no corroborating witnesses or video/audio evidence, the media plows through the details and pushes the narrative that gets clicks.

There is now an entire industry built up around selling racism. It's so infrequent in 2019, they literally have to make it up every chance they get.

Hi,
If you want to help counteract the idea that Boston is a racist sports town, when something like this happens, just say “good, that language has no place here” and leave it at that.comments like yours contribute to the perception if racism.

I believe the truth matters and I evaluate every situation like this on a case by case basis. The perception has already been established by clickbait journalists and race hustlers, so I might as well speak out for what I believe is most likely the truth. Conceding this took place only adds to this false narrative. The only way to break it, is to stand up and say, "Wait a second here, this doesn't make sense".

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2019, 05:15:23 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1557

Hi,
If you want to help counteract the idea that Boston is a racist sports town, when something like this happens, just say “good, that language has no place here” and leave it at that.comments like yours contribute to the perception if racism.

I believe the truth matters and I evaluate every situation like this on a case by case basis. The perception has already been established by clickbait journalists and race hustlers, so I might as well speak out for what I believe is most likely the truth. Conceding this took place only adds to this false narrative. The only way to break it, is to stand up and say, "Wait a second here, this doesn't make sense".
Ah yes blame the media that Boogie complained and the Celtics banned the fan.  Media made it all up.  Give me a break.  The media reports on stories.  This is a story.  Period.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2019, 05:22:47 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25620
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Hi,

Are you sure your side is "the truth"?  Boogie took a position that he was taunted with racist comments; you're seemingly taking a position that nothing happened, and the Celtics bowed down to political correctness.

Isn't the most likely "truth" that a young fan was acting like an overbearing, heckling ass, and was temporarily banned for it?  No racism, but behavior that crossed a line?  And how do you know what corroborated the story?  The Celtics are saying they looked at a variety of evidence in support of their position.

the team initiated an exhaustive investigation of the incident that included reviewing video from multiple angles and identifying and interviewing numerous fans, security personnel, and police in the immediate vicinity.

"In the course of this investigation, we were able to conclude that the fan had been verbally abusive toward the Golden State bench, but none of the interviewed parties were able to verify the use of racially offensive language

Why isn't that "the truth", rather than your own guess?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2019, 05:43:11 PM »

Offline OnPoint

• NCE
  • Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 128
Are you sure your side is "the truth"?  Boogie took a position that he was taunted with racist comments; you're seemingly taking a position that nothing happened, and the Celtics bowed down to political correctness.

Do you not agree that the truth is important? Context matters too. My response was to someone who clearly does not hold the truth in high regard, as the poster insinuated that I should not be examining the racist claim. I want to make my position clear, I have no doubt that the fan was being verbally abusive towards the player, in both cases, however I do not believe racially disparaging words were used.

Isn't the most likely "truth" that a young fan was acting like an overbearing, heckling ass, and was temporarily banned for it?  No racism, but behavior that crossed a line?  And how do you know what corroborated the story?  The Celtics are saying they looked at a variety of evidence in support of their position.

Yes, I agree with this.

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2019, 06:04:56 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 927
Absent any proof to the contrary, I believe that Boogie is full of it. And I only say that because I have a friend that he (falsely) accused of yelling F-bombs at him in a game. The other fans in the area defended her and DMC ended up with a technical.

He's bad news.

Mike

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2019, 06:25:05 PM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33

Hi,

Interesting post but it has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

According to what we know about this story (because this happened in January), Cousins told the area staff, the kid got ejected, and eventually the two-year ban was levied at some point between then and Thursday. You're demeaning your point when you use phrases like "clickbait journalists" and "race hustlers", because it makes you sound rather restricted in your intelligence.

I.M.O.The reason Boston gets more piled on than other cities w.r.t. racism is because quite a few of the natives protest the accusations in a way few other places do. :)