Author Topic: All Wiggins all the time  (Read 6055 times)

All Wiggins all the time
« on: June 30, 2013, 10:03:02 PM »

Offline truthteller

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 9
With all these topics on every possible idea... I'm getting  a little confused.  Are these random ideas about player moves just out there because people want something to talk about?  Do people have too much time on their hands?

It feels like every road leads to mediocrity except for one.  Winning the lottery and getting another Lebron, another Kobe, Jordan, Duncan, etc.

These players come along once every few years and make a franchise contend for a dozen years.   Besides them, most teams are just average in the end.

Re: All Wiggins all the time
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 10:04:59 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
If you are a new Celtic fan, go to the Celtic Wikipedia page and read up on the team from 2006-2008.   Tanking provides many wonderful options.

And yes you are right... Those players don't come around very often.  We are very lucky that our run died right at the perfect time to take a shot at landing a phenom. 

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »

Offline truthteller

• Xavier Tillman
Not a new fan.  Been a C's fan my whole life.

Is your point that it's easier to build piecemeal lineup through free agents in Boston is easier than getting a superstar in the draft?

Are you new to being a Celtics fan?  (since 2007?)

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 10:14:31 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1574

Is your point that it's easier to build piecemeal lineup through free agents in Boston is easier than getting a superstar in the draft?

with the next few drafts we can do it BOTH WAYS!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 10:16:07 PM »

Offline truthteller

• Xavier Tillman

Absolutely.  That's what makes Ainge brilliant.  Can't wait to see how this plays out

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 10:20:57 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 283
we need wiggins or any of the other consolation prizes will do.

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 10:24:26 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016

If you've been a fan your whole life, then you understand why this statement seems whacky:

"It feels like every road leads to mediocrity except for one.  Winning the lottery and getting another Lebron, another Kobe, Jordan, Duncan, etc. "

We tanked in 2007 trying to get Oden or Durant.  How did that turn out? 

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2013, 10:25:22 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker

If you've been a fan your whole life, then you understand why this statement seems whacky:

"It feels like every road leads to mediocrity except for one.  Winning the lottery and getting another Lebron, another Kobe, Jordan, Duncan, etc. "

We tanked in 2007 trying to get Oden or Durant.  How did that turn out?
turned out great, we got green who is part of our future right now, and at the time we flipped him for shuttlesworth

this upcoming draft is much deeper than that greg oden draft. we have consolation prizes in the harrison twins, or randle, or young, or gordon, or ....

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2013, 10:25:52 PM »

Offline Sully7

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
Wiggins or Parker are clearly the grand prize, but several other players like Smart could be great consolations. 

« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2013, 10:29:20 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
With all these topics on every possible idea... I'm getting  a little confused.  Are these random ideas about player moves just out there because people want something to talk about?  Do people have too much time on their hands?

It feels like every road leads to mediocrity except for one.  Winning the lottery and getting another Lebron, another Kobe, Jordan, Duncan, etc.

These players come along once every few years and make a franchise contend for a dozen years.   Besides them, most teams are just average in the end.

Sorry, but I don't think this is correct.

Yes, certainly the likes of the 80s Celtics and 80s Lakers got really good through the draft with Larry and Magic, respectively.

However, rebuilding through the draft is NOT the only option.

Look at what Miami did. Granted, that was a circumstance that comes around once in a great while, but they essentially just bought their way to a championship.

And yes, Wade was drafted by Miami but without Lebron and Bosh, they don't contend.

Also, getting into the lottery is a crap shoot.

The Celts tried that in 1997 to land Duncan and 2007 to land Durant and it didn't work out so well.

I think it's very plausible to build a championship team by assembling the right mix of younger and older proven players.

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »

Offline JOMVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 100
Obviously Wiggins is going to be an insane player, but I'm a huge Julius Randle guy.

From watching the both of them play, I get the feeling Randle is going to a Lebron type of player, and Wiggins is going to be a Durant. For my liking, I take the Lebron style of play. Randle is 6'10" and moves around the court like he is a SF. Its insane, just watch his ball is life video.

I wonder if the Celtics can get enough talent this year to just be bad enough to get a pick between 4-7 and use their other 2014 picks and expirings to move up and get to the 1 or 2 spot.

« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 10:31:09 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
good video to introduce yourself to wiggins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJB7a89Tkk

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2013, 10:31:55 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
Obviously Wiggins is going to be an insane player, but I'm a huge Julius Randle guy.

From watching the both of them play, I get the feeling Randle is going to a Lebron type of player, and Wiggins is going to be a Durant. For my liking, I take the Lebron style of play. Randle is 6'10" and moves around the court like he is a SF. Its insane, just watch his ball is life video.

I wonder if the Celtics can get enough talent this year to just be bad enough to get a pick between 4-7 and use their other 2014 picks and expirings to move up and get to the 1 or 2 spot
randle seems like a "strength" type player which is great. Im a big aaron gordon fan, his height and ball handling ability is insane.

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2013, 10:54:35 PM »

Offline truthteller

• Xavier Tillman
Thanks for the insight.  Sounds like there may be multiple (possible) franchise players.  By tanking, getting the draft pick, and having all those assets, this could turn out well.   

Obviously nothing is guaranteed. Yea, we didn't get Durant.  But the plan is a solid one and is low risk/high reward.

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2013, 10:56:37 PM »

Offline lightspeed5

• Antoine Walker
good video to introduce yourself to wiggins

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnJB7a89Tkk

danny ainge at the 16:00

http://www.csnnw.com/blog/dwight/nike-hoop-summit-dwight-danny-ainge

danny  thought the US team was better than the world team. wiggins was on the world team with dennis schroader. but the kentucky kids on the us team made US stacked