Author Topic: so NOW Lebron is the BEST Passer of ALL time?  (Read 11488 times)

Re: so NOW Lebron is the BEST Passer of ALL time?
« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2010, 11:36:19 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
This is more Van Gundy.

Did anyone else notice Jackson's comment when Lebron made a shot block?

(paraphrasing)
"Jeff is probably going to say that Lebron is the best shot blocker ever"

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2010, 11:44:30 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Its ABC..don't put too much importance on what they say . Anything But Competence.

Yeah, but if you say something loud enough and often enough---the public will take it as the Truth...That's how the whole Jordan, Greatest of All Time thing started---or Ali's "I'm the Greatest"..Not saying they aren't,but BIGMOUTH people get the most attention.....I'll take Magic Johnson/Larry Bird/Kareem/Russell/Wilt over Jordan...and Joe Luis over Ali.
Substance, not hype.

We live in a capitalistic society and as long as he is making money for NBA/media channels etc. etc, he will always be the best at something or the other. We can't be rational with all those statements/claims. No amount of ads/marketing/pampering can mask the fact that he has won ZERO rings so far. Jordan won 6 rings....he has earned the right to brag. But the Queen on the other hand reminds me of the King in the story 'Emperor's new clothes'.

He's making money for NBA/TV because the majority of people know that they are watching a legend in the making.  How old was Jordan when he won his first?  Lebron has at least 10 more years to win a few. 

Do you think that ABC told Van Gundy to say "He could be the best passer of all time"?  And he agreed even though he doesn't beleive it?  If you listen to them they are obviously going off the cuff, they're not actors with a script.  Is it that hard to beleive that Lebron could be the best at something?  Is it that crazy that when someone brings it up you think conspiracy?         

If he played like a pass first point guard I think he'd average 15 assists.  But you'll never know because he is busy scoring 30 a game.  It's a specletive argument.  It's not like "Who has he most assists"  It's almost like arguing "Who has the purest shot".  For best passer it comes down to accuracy, speed, creating passing lanes, court vision... you can't quantify it with stats.     

I didn't say he will never win a ring, did I? All I said was, he hasn't won anything so far...untill he does, he doesn't have the bragging rights to anything. ABC/ESPN etc. don't give their commentators a script.....but they certainly are made aware of the fact that they are here to promote the brat.

I agree he is a great player...but a legend? no, not yet. Bill Russell is a legend. Please don't use the word "legend" with his name just 'coz he is a great player....or maybe wait untill he has accomplished something legendary. MVP awards and eastern conference player of the month awards don't make someone a legend.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2010, 12:07:09 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
He's NOT even the Best passer in the League RIGHT NOW, how is he the BEST EVER?....Larry Bird would pass circles around him---so would Cousy and Magic....Big Mouth BIASED announcers...Plus they were OBVIOUSLY rooting for the Cavs today.

I dunno...for a big man he is one hell of a passer. I guess nash is a better pure passer, and mabey paul...but i'd even debate that.

The greatest passer of all time is complete junk, but as of right now, i'd be hard pressed to think of a player who is as instinctive and decisive with the ball as he is.

High assist numbers does not always mean that person is a better passer. I'd put LBJ passing skills up against the best in the league right now, no doubt.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2010, 12:44:29 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
This is more Van Gundy.

Did anyone else notice Jackson's comment when Lebron made a shot block?

(paraphrasing)
"Jeff is probably going to say that Lebron is the best shot blocker ever"
That's great.

Lebron is one of the great passing forwards though. He was already known for his passing when he came into the league. Passing is too hard to judge to point to a best ever, especially when a great scorer will often be wise to not make the great pass they are capable of making when they can score instead.

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
Just as the national announcers are over the top in their LBJ love, this site is over the top in its LBJ bashing. He is great. He is the best player in the league (by a wide margin in my opinion).

The OP noted (then ignored for some reason) that they said NON-PG passer. Then everyone here freaks out and says things like, what about Rondo, Nash, Cousy, Magic, etc. All point guards. Way to pay attention, guys.

Is he better than Bird? Who cares. It doesn't matter. For what it's worth (not much) I think Bird was better, but I'm not objective. I also think that Sabonis was a better passing big man than Bird.

Regardless, LBJ is a great passer. I don't think he is lacking in any basketball skill, to be honest.

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2010, 12:56:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Just as the national announcers are over the top in their LBJ love, this site is over the top in its LBJ bashing. He is great. He is the best player in the league (by a wide margin in my opinion).

The OP noted (then ignored for some reason) that they said NON-PG passer. Then everyone here freaks out and says things like, what about Rondo, Nash, Cousy, Magic, etc. All point guards. Way to pay attention, guys.

Is he better than Bird? Who cares. It doesn't matter. For what it's worth (not much) I think Bird was better, but I'm not objective. I also think that Sabonis was a better passing big man than Bird.

Regardless, LBJ is a great passer. I don't think he is lacking in any basketball skill, to be honest.
I agree with Blackbird.   LeBron is incredible.   He's the best player in the league without a doubt.  I enjoy watching him when he's not making our team look like a bunch of Glen Davises. 

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2010, 01:03:21 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1

Way to pay attention....

Van Gundy took it one further than just NON-PG and said BEST passer ever

That's why Jackson berated him with the Best Shot Blocker ever comment and chided him that he couldn't go there because Magic was the best passer ever

Van Gundy stuck to his statement however
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2010, 01:05:36 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
Its ABC..don't put too much importance on what they say . Anything But Competence.

Yeah, but if you say something loud enough and often enough---the public will take it as the Truth...That's how the whole Jordan, Greatest of All Time thing started---or Ali's "I'm the Greatest"..Not saying they aren't,but BIGMOUTH people get the most attention.....I'll take Magic Johnson/Larry Bird/Kareem/Russell/Wilt over Jordan...and Joe Luis over Ali.
Substance, not hype.

You think Jordan is hype not substance?

Credibility shot.

Read what I said carefully....Jordan might be the greatest---But, this pronouncement came with a HUGE amount of  hype at the time---with everyone crowning him the best ever-totally forgetting what others had done in the past.

Jordan was Amazing---But, he had nobody to compete against in his prime( 6 different opponents in the finals )---Magic had Bird, Russell had Wilt, etc.

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 01:06:26 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
Sabonis was certainly the best passing big man I ever saw. Then there are a few right below his level: Bird, LeBron, Connie Hawkins, Chris Webber, Vlade Divac. Assist numbers per se are a little misleading, since players who always have the ball will tend to produce more assists even if they are not great passers.

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2010, 01:07:40 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum

I'm the OP...and Van Gundy took it to Best Passer ever---NOT just NON PG.

« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2010, 01:09:35 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
Sabonis was certainly the best passing big man I ever saw. Then there are a few right below his level: Bird, LeBron, Connie Hawkins, Chris Webber, Vlade Divac. Assist numbers per se are a little misleading, since players who always have the ball will tend to produce more assists even if they are not great passers.

Walton was a GREAT passer too.

« Reply #56 on: March 15, 2010, 01:10:22 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Max and Grande were a little over the top in their praise of Lebron yesterday too, so it's not just the national guys.
Yup

« Reply #57 on: March 15, 2010, 01:12:56 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Magic and Stockton were probably the best passers I have ever seen. Bird was right up there too. You could make a pretty good argument in favor of Bird because he didnt have the ball in his hands nearly as much as Magic or Stockton. LBJ is a great passer there is no doubt. The thing that really caught my ear was when one of the announcers, Van Gundy maybe, said Lebron might end up being the best player ever? He's got a long ways to go to reach that but it's surprising to be hearing it already.

« Reply #58 on: March 15, 2010, 01:18:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think Bird made a ton of passes that Sabonis, LeBron, Webber and Divac could never dream of making. Not really an authority on Connie Hawkins.

« Reply #59 on: March 15, 2010, 02:07:29 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum

I think Bird made a ton of passes that Sabonis, LeBron, Webber and Divac could never dream of making. Not really an authority on Connie Hawkins.

This was the Point I was trying to make---Larry Bird was a WAY Better, More Creative Passer than Lebron could ever hope to be....BUT, when  MORON national TV announcers say things like this, It becomes FACT to the General public---Completely ignoring what other greats have done in the past.

You will NEVER see Lebron make passes like Bird's in that video that was posted earlier...NEVER.