Author Topic: so NOW Lebron is the BEST Passer of ALL time?  (Read 11487 times)

Re: so NOW Lebron is the BEST Passer of ALL time?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 09:52:23 AM »

Offline MMacOH

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 129
Lebron would still be a great passer in NY.  He will still be the best player in the league if he leaves Cleveland.

But, even I was getting sick of the ABC announcers.  They some of the stupidest things and almost over value Lebron.  It makes you mad as a Cleveland fan because it gives the nation the idea that everyone in Cleveland talks that way 

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 10:14:59 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Lebron would still be a great passer in NY.  He will still be the best player in the league if he leaves Cleveland.

But, even I was getting sick of the ABC announcers.  They some of the stupidest things and almost over value Lebron.  It makes you mad as a Cleveland fan because it gives the nation the idea that everyone in Cleveland talks that way 

Yup.  Although they were right on with Andy Varajao.  The guy is just infinitely valuable to that team.  I think he is the one guy, other than Lebron who could sink the Cavs chances if he gets hurt in the playoffs. 

« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2010, 10:17:42 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Lebron is a great passer.  I think he has a legitimate argument for best passing forward ever (although Larry has not given up the crown yet IMO), but I think he still has a ways to go before being in the conversation for best passer ever...or at least best playmaker ever.

But how do you compare across the years?  You can't just compare the assists numbers.  The rules were very different for Larry and Magic.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2010, 10:22:05 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Lebron is a great passer.  I think he has a legitimate argument for best passing forward ever (although Larry has not given up the crown yet IMO), but I think he still has a ways to go before being in the conversation for best passer ever...or at least best playmaker ever.

But how do you compare across the years?  You can't just compare the assists numbers.  The rules were very different for Larry and Magic.

Who said anything about numbers.  Deciding the best playmaker or passer is a qualitative thing.  It can't be done by numbers.  You need to watch them play, and then decide who you think is better.

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2010, 10:24:55 AM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
You guys really need to pick a side with the Cavs.  Lebron averages close to 7 assists a game.  Now, he either has good teammates who just convert on normal passes or he has a bunch of 'role players' around him that need him to create and set them up with great passes.  Which is it?
Probably a little bit of both.

He's a good passer.

For a big man, he's a great passer.

But most of his passes aren't great passes, just the smart play to make. Stockton, Magic, Nash, even Rondo are great passers because they have such a wide assortment of passes and make spectacular plays with the pass.

LeBron's passes very seldom fall into the spectacular area.

One thing I don't think LeBron gets enough credit for is just how SMART of a basketball player he is

He makes the smart play, the right pass, the correct defensive adjustment, etc.

It is his basketball intelligence combined with his freakish physicality and skill that make him what he is

His passing is probably the least fabulous part of his game, but he does it extremely well and very intelligently which is what makes his passing so good.

Best ever...not close.

Great...yes.

One of the best passing big men ever....yes.

Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2010, 10:37:06 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
These ABC announcers were SICKENING Today---Van Gundy and Jackson start talking about how Lebron is the Best passing Non PG of All Time---and Van Gundy says it used to be Larry Bird, and Maybe Lebron will end up being the BEST Passer EVER!
Of course, Jackson says, Hold on there, Magic Johnson is the Best passer ever...I guess if Lebron had created the world, we'd have a 6 day week---cause of course, he'd do it better than God---What a couple of IDIOTS.

Give me a BREAK----Lebron?

LBJ wouldn't even be in the same discussion as Larry were it not for the rule changes in the past two decades, particularly the hand-check rule.

Let's see LBJ get as many assists with forearm shivers and hand checks.  Not gonna happen.

This is why it is so difficult to compare accross eras. I still think Larry Bird was a better passer but let's not bring the rules into this.

Put it this way, why did the NBA institute the tougher rules on hand checking? Because the game was becoming too defensive minded UNLIKE the play in the 80's that catapulted the NBA. When Larry was in his prime, his teams were averaging 115 plus ppg. In that NBA, there wasnt an emphasis on agressive defense. How else would you explain the scoring?

I would argue that Lebron might average MORE assists if he played in an era where teams scored so much more.

That being said to be considered a truly great passer, you have to have that "it" factor that no one can put their finger on. Seeing plays so far ahead of everyone else. I cant really describe it but I dont think LeBron has that. He is a great passer but not an all timer. For his size though it is definitely amazing.

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2010, 10:44:59 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Let's not make him less of a passer because he makes passing look easy.  I don't think you need an "it" factor to be a great passer.  Stockton had no "it" factor as a passer, but I'm not going to count that against him.  Bird, Isiah, and Magic could make crazy no look passes.  Lebron just sees the whole court and makes passing look easy, Stockton style in my opinion.

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2010, 10:50:53 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
Let's not make him less of a passer because he makes passing look easy.  I don't think you need an "it" factor to be a great passer.  Stockton had no "it" factor as a passer, but I'm not going to count that against him.  Bird, Isiah, and Magic could make crazy no look passes.  Lebron just sees the whole court and makes passing look easy, Stockton style in my opinion.

Stockton had the "it" factor too in my opinion. Maybe we remember him differently. I remember him making planty of no look passes and countless one handed passes that only he saw. He was also the most accurate passer I ever saw. LeBron is great I just cant put him up there yet.

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595
Three letters P  E  D. Give those to the all time greats with their natural abilities and we would have an idea where he fits. Call the game the way it's meant to be called. I do believe Lebron is on something, I would bet my house on it.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2010, 11:03:41 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
u didnt know.....lebron is the best at everything on the planet.  in fact he is the best person ever!  ;)

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2010, 11:06:53 AM »

Offline Fox40Kid

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • "This is beautiful. What is that? Velvet?"
LeBron has never heard of Larry Bird.  Remember, to him, the NBA started in 1991, when MJ won his first title.
"Coach you were 24 and 58 last year, why the playoff talk?"
"Well we made a couple of key trades . . . and we got The Funk."

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2010, 11:15:43 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
u didnt know.....lebron is the best at everything on the planet.  in fact he is the best person ever!  ;)

I think you are under rating him here.

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2010, 11:17:39 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 595

You're right. My wife has been sick for over two weeks with the flu. I'm going to take her to a Cavs game, I think she might get better if she's in his presence :P
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2010, 11:24:32 AM »

Offline Johhny Least

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 10
The ignorance of those announcers was on full display when they entered into the discussion about the best passer in the history of the game, without even mentioning Bob Cousy.  Cousy was more innovative in his day than anyone from the modern era.  Nor did Pete Maravich Garner a mention.  As far as forwards are concerned, LeBron has a long way to go before he can be legitimately compared to Bird.  LeBron has good vision and his athletic ability draws attention from defenses, but he is nowhere near as creative a passer as Bird was.  This is just a case of announcers trying to shill their product in the most blatant manner imaginable.

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2010, 11:35:12 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
It's so easy these days to give up titles - the best whatever of all time while ignoring the past.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels