Author Topic: perfect summary of our problem  (Read 1429 times)

perfect summary of our problem
« on: March 14, 2010, 01:43:55 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 733
espn's John Carroll gave what i think is the perfect analysis of the Celtics main issue this year ......

"It is extremely hard to coach defense in the NBA and sustain it. When players hear the same voices year after year, it can get old, and it becomes harder and harder to keep them focused. Defense is not like a faucet -- you can't turn it on when you need it. Defense is a mind-set that must be instilled in a team every day. Two seasons ago, the C's had that mind-set. You see that from this Boston team only sporadically. The scary thing about defense is that once it goes, it is almost impossible to get back. There is no magic potion. The Celtics must commit themselves to becoming a great defensive team again; otherwise, they will be doomed in the playoffs."

age and injuries have contributed to this problem greatly - the Celtics 2008 style is so difficult to maintain over many seasons. they were the ultimate grinders and had to work very hard to be effective. when that style is working and in sync, it is a beautiful thing to watch, especially for basketball purists. 

even in '08, i always said these Celts were kinda hard to watch on offense - but my God, they were a thing of beauty on defense, absolutely textbook team man-to-man defense. any attack to the basket was met with strong individual resistance and even stronger help rotation where every pass by the offense to take advantage of that rotation was perfectly met by yet another Celtic in just the right spot.

but this team has never scored a lot of easy baskets, the way the 60's and 80's groups did - this bunch is more the style of the 70's Celtics, though even Cowens & Co. scored easier with their running game.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 06:01:11 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

Re: perfect summary of our problem
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 01:48:22 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »

Offline mmbaby

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 53
Announcer tonight said the team should have to watch films of Garnett and BBD because they are the best defenders on the team. I'm not understanding why players just stand there when they could be blocking or boxing.
I do, though, think we need to work on our offense and practice the shooting and practice plays. Practice is good.

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 10:16:53 PM »

Offline PLamb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1
Well, I don't know if it's a perfect summary of our problem, but it's definitely a pretty darn good one   ;) ;D
Pick 2 Knicks

PG: George Hill, Ty Lawson
SG: Ray Allen, Anthony Parker, Quentin Richardson
SF: Grant Hill, Matt Barnes, D
PF: Zach Randolph, Kenyon Martin, Jon Brockman, Dante Cunningham
C:  Nene Hilario,   Own rights: Nikola Pekovic IR: Kyle Weaver

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 10:22:46 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Carroll's a solid basketball man, and he's right: Defense is a HUGE problem with this group right now. They don't string enough defensive possessions together late-game to give themselves any kind of a chance.

And it's been that way for awhile.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 10:56:48 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Great analysis. TP for sharing. TBH I don't think we can become that great defensive team in time for the playoffs if ever. The best thing to do now is to compensate for that decline in defense in other ways. Starting with practice of the fundamentals and cutting down on the sloppy play would help.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 12:19:20 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
espn's John Carroll gave what i think is the perfect analysis of the Celtics main issue this year ......

"It is extremely hard to coach defense in the NBA and sustain it. When players hear the same voices year after year, it can get old, and it becomes harder and harder to keep them focused. Defense is not like a faucet -- you can't turn it on when you need it. Defense is a mind-set that must be instilled in a team every day. Two seasons ago, the C's had that mind-set. You see that from this Boston team only sporadically. The scary thing about defense is that once it goes, it is almost impossible to get back. There is no magic potion. The Celtics must commit themselves to becoming a great defensive team again; otherwise, they will be doomed in the playoffs."

People have too high an expectation of the Celts defense because of the way they played 2 years ago. The announcers were talking during the Cleveland game about how we've slipped since our title season. What they (and others) don't seem to realize is that it's not just this year's Celts that aren't playing defense as well as the 08 team, it's not just that none of the other contenders are playing that kind of defense, it's more that not one other team in the last 15 or so years has played defense like that. Cleveland's defense, for example, was no better than ours. We had a ton of wide open shots, we just missed too many of them. It's not like they put the clamps on us.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 12:43:33 PM »

Offline tommyvon

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 4
larry bird said in Jackie McM's book that no players listen to a coach after 3 years..   Thats why he only coached the pacers for 3 years.  And I believe it.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 12:45:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
larry bird said in Jackie McM's book that no players listen to a coach after 3 years..   Thats why he only coached the pacers for 3 years.  And I believe it.
Yeah I've seen Bird say that before.  He felt like he needed a change of coach every few years.

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 12:50:50 PM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
They still listen to Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich and Jerry Sloan.  They listened to Red Auerbach for 18 years.

Players listen to a coach that they respect as a coach no matter how long he has been there.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 06:04:43 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
They still listen to Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich and Jerry Sloan.  They listened to Red Auerbach for 18 years.

Players listen to a coach that they respect as a coach no matter how long he has been there.

they did listen to Red for 18 years, but that was a different time and players had different perspectives than they do now ........ plus having the greatest player of all time didn't hurt.