Author Topic: Gooden getting bought out?  (Read 5220 times)

Gooden getting bought out?
« on: March 01, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
http://www.sacbee.com/kings/story/1662411.html

not sure how to feel about this...

Re: Gooden getting bought out?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:43:34 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
While it does not appear likely, Gooden's window of opportunity to join a potential playoff team closes at 9 p.m. Pacific time tonight. That is the deadline for players to join teams and still be eligible to be on the playoff roster.

Add one more reporter to the list that is spreading false information.  Stuff like this is so frustrating.

If this happens, and Joe Smith gets bought out, as well, it would make sense that one of them (Smith?) ends up in Cleveland and the other ends up in San Antonio, although Denver and Phoenix also need big men.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:43:59 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Better than Moore, but it's too late...

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:47:38 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
why is it too late?

I asked this in another thread, but i read that we still have 1.2 mil of our MLE left to spend...

does anybody know the exact numbers?

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:14:26 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
why is it too late?

I asked this in another thread, but i read that we still have 1.2 mil of our MLE left to spend...

It's hard to say, because reporting isn't always accurate.  The report I heard was that we gave Starbury $1.2 million, in actual money (i.e., not $1.2 million of the remaining MLE, which would have been prorated.)

However, here's how I understand it:  We had $2.392 million of the MLE, before any prorating.  The amount that we had left was decreased by roughly 50/180ths (one 1/180th for every day after January 10th).  That leaves about $1,727,555.56 available.  Assuming that we really gave $1.2 million to Starbury, that leaves us just about $500k to give to a free agent.

$500,000 does us no good.  After prorating the minimum salary, Gooden would be paid about $772,863 on a minimum deal, Smith would earn roughly $911,643.06 (again, these calculations assume a prorating of 50/180ths.)

I'm still wondering why Starbury was given a salary for $1.2 million. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:23:09 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
why is it too late?

It's hard to say, because reporting isn't always accurate.  The report I heard was that we gave Starbury $1.2 million, in actual money (i.e., not $1.2 million of the remaining MLE, which would have been prorated.)

However, here's how I understand it:  We had $2.392 million of the MLE, before any prorating.  The amount that we had left was decreased by roughly 50/180ths (one 1/180th for every day after January 10th).  That leaves about $1,727,555.56 available.  Assuming that we really gave $1.2 million to Starbury, that leaves us just about $500k to give to a free agent.

$500,000 does us no good.  After prorating the minimum salary, Gooden would be paid about $772,863 on a minimum deal, Smith would earn roughly $911,643.06 (again, these calculations assume a prorating of 50/180ths.)

I'm still wondering why Starbury was given a salary for $1.2 million. 

yeah, 1.2 mil to Mar did seem excessive.

do you know how we spent the rest of the MLE? Was it Eddie and who else?

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 08:31:41 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

do you know how we spent the rest of the MLE? Was it Eddie and who else?

It was spent on Eddie and Walker.  Here's the breakdown:

$5,585,000 mid-level exception
-$2,650,000 Eddie House
-$542,114 Bill Walker
-----------------
$2,392,886 million

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 08:33:59 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
can we sign any of these players that might come available to a multi year deal?

for instance can we offer them part of next year's MLE?

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 08:35:59 AM »

Offline SShorefan 4.0

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 186
Gooden to Cleveland or the Lakers scares me. 

Other than that, I'll take a healthy Celtics team head-to-head with anyone else.

Call me a sap, but I love my kids more than anything!

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
can we sign any of these players that might come available to a multi year deal?

Technically yes, in reality no.

We can give any player we sign an 8% raise over the non-prorated amount we sign them for.  If the numbers above are accurate, before pro-rating salary we'd have around $750k, give or take, of the MLE left.  That means we could offer a deal starting at $810,000 next year to any player we sign now.  That's below the minimum for Smith and Gooden next season.

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 08:43:15 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

We can give any player we sign an 8% raise over the non-prorated amount we sign them for.  If the numbers above are accurate, before pro-rating salary we'd have around $750k, give or take, of the MLE left.  That means we could offer a deal starting at $810,000 next year to any player we sign now.  That's below the minimum for Smith and Gooden next season.

what if we signed them to a one year deal (the rest of this season) and then signed them to an extension?

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2009, 08:47:35 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

what if we signed them to a one year deal (the rest of this season) and then signed them to an extension?

We could offer them a 20% bump over whatever the non-prorated salary is (assuming it's structured that way).  So, right around $900,000, which is nothing. 

Pretty much, for Smith and Gooden, all we can offer is the minimum, if the report on Starbury is true.

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2009, 09:57:14 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I don't understand these last minute buyouts to Smith and Gooden.

Weren't we told a week ago that Marbury had to wait 2 days after the buyout?

What ever happened to that 2 days on waiver-waiting?

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2009, 10:04:46 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I don't understand these last minute buyouts to Smith and Gooden.

Weren't we told a week ago that Marbury had to wait 2 days after the buyout?

What ever happened to that 2 days on waiver-waiting?

It takes 48 hours to clear waivers.  So long as players are put on waivers by today, they are eligible for playoff rosters if they sign by the end of the regular season.

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2009, 10:21:25 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Roy - question:

Can we just claim Gooden (or Smith for that matter)?

I assume it would be lots of cash that the owners may not want to throw around - but he's an expiring contract - so why not roll the dice?
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)