Author Topic: Joe Smith back to CLE?  (Read 23715 times)

Re: Joe Smith back to CLE?
« Reply #75 on: February 28, 2009, 01:26:53 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
if boston would have waited until today to get smith they would have lost moore to denver. and there is not one reason i would think he would sign with boston over the cavs. in the end boston would get no big. let him go to cleveland. it won't be enough

« Reply #76 on: February 28, 2009, 01:32:23 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
if boston would have waited until today to get smith they would have lost moore to denver. and there is not one reason i would think he would sign with boston over the cavs. in the end boston would get no big. let him go to cleveland. it won't be enough

to play with the Big 3 on the defending champs...with at least one former teammate that he gets along with...and is one of the most compelling guys in the whole NBA.

if Smith and Mar signed here, our bench rotation would have been:

Mar
Eddie
Smith

and then a hodgepodge of the rest of the guys sprinkled in based on match ups. knowing Doc he would have played a ton here...

« Reply #77 on: February 28, 2009, 01:35:54 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
not saying smith wouldn't have played but i don't think he signs here over cleveland

« Reply #78 on: February 28, 2009, 01:36:37 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

the one argument i will make against Smith is this:

if Big Baby continues to play at this level, then it makes Smith less important. and if Smith had come here, BBD would have gotten a lot less time. especially in the playoffs.

so maybe some of our own youngs will step up because now they are going to have to.

« Reply #79 on: February 28, 2009, 01:40:37 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
who cares what he does. Cleveland is not the greatest force on earth and we just(should be) better than we were to start the season. I think too many are afraid of cleveland just because we lost to them and barley beat them in the first game. We still have to capacity to play lights out d and we will see that again in the playoffs.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #80 on: February 28, 2009, 01:41:43 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
who cares what he does. Cleveland is not the greatest force on earth and we just(should be) better than we were to start the season. I think too many are afraid of cleveland just because we lost to them and barley beat them in the first game. We still have to capacity to play lights out d and we will see that again in the playoffs.

i'll feel better if we have home court....

« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2009, 02:00:33 PM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

I'll feel better if we have everybody healthy, the rookies and Pruitt inactive, and Home Court.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2009, 02:20:40 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 592
I would feel better with HC also. But I just think there is more of an upside to our team than not. I sense that there is fear about what the cavs are going to do to us. I respect them and they are a good team, but we are imo better and will play with more intensity in the playoffs than we are now. Unless they sign God himself, I dont think they have as good as a shot at us as some think. Just my opinion from what I have seen from the two teams this year
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2009, 02:59:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think they had at least twice the money we had before we signed Marbury. We couldn't even make a competitive offer if money was an issue and Cleveland wanted him.

but if we were actually holding out for Smith, then maybe we could have held more money for him.

How? By not signing Tony or Eddie or Walker (whoever of those three used the mid-level)?

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2009, 03:12:37 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Everyone would rather have home court. Some people don't see it as life or death.

« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2009, 03:37:53 PM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
not sure if anyone had this idea yet, we could waive pruitt and sign smith if hes bought out so he doesn't goto cleveland.
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2009, 03:46:58 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
not sure if anyone had this idea yet, we could waive pruitt and sign smith if hes bought out so he doesn't goto cleveland.

that's right, we could wave pruitt or giddens if we have a shot at j smith, nether of them will be missed. moore did not cost us a chance at joe smith

« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Smith doesn't want to play for Boston.  He'd rather go to Cleveland.  If he wanted to go to Boston, he would have sought a buyout when the Celtics wanted/needed him.  The fact that he waited until Cleveland wanted him before he sought a buyout is telling (like I said in my previous post).
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2009, 04:39:20 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
When does he have to be waived by for Cleveland to pick him up, midnight tonight or midnight tomorrow?

« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2009, 05:32:33 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

I think they had at least twice the money we had before we signed Marbury. We couldn't even make a competitive offer if money was an issue and Cleveland wanted him.

but if we were actually holding out for Smith, then maybe we could have held more money for him.

How? By not signing Tony or Eddie or Walker (whoever of those three used the mid-level)?

maybe giving less to Mar...but again, how do we know how much CLE is actually willing to give him?