Author Topic: Joe Smith back to CLE?  (Read 23714 times)

Re: Joe Smith back to CLE?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 09:37:41 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Am I the only one here that could (or is it couldn't?) care less if Smith goes to the Cavs or not?
I don't care either
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 09:38:51 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
I also think  there is still a possibility of us signing him and cutting a Pruitt or Giddens who's contracts are going to end any how.
Wrong I was! Giddens has three years left and Pruitt one year.
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 09:41:10 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
Big Z and Side Show Bob give us problems, but can you imagine Hickson trying to guard KG as time runs down in the fourth?

Much better scenario than Smith guarding KG.

Joe smith throughout his career was obvsiouly much better than
Hmmm...not really...sorry but Joe Smith is helpless when trying to guard KG, last year in the playoffs KG got whatever he wanted when they put Joe smith on him...again stop making him into more then he is..which is an old medicore role player who isnt a good defender

is he better than Moore in your estimation?

Joe smith throughout his career was obvsiouly much better than Mikki Moore, but I  honestly believe Mikki can bring us the same things Smith could.

And this is all irrelevant, Ill take the passionate guy that wants to be here before the ho-hum fine with staying in OKC guy

Antonio McDyess wouldve been the best possible option imo

We are going to sign him for next year. He has seen the error in his ways as has Danny Ainge. You know he regrets not coming here after his Denver release, but I admire his loyalty. I just hope he isnt unreasonable in his contract demands.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 09:49:43 AM »

Offline PJ Martinez

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
This was posted on a different blog yesterday:
If a player is a free agent (not on any active roster), he can sign with any team right up to the last game of the season. However if, on March 1, he is still on an active roster (Like Joe Smith is on the Thunder right now), he would not be eligible for posteason play. "Off the roster" means being placed on waivers for 48 hours and no one claiming him.

So Joe Smith would need to clear waivers by midnight March 1. He would have to be placed on waivers by midnight tonight. What the Thunder could do is place him on waivers and hope someone claims him and the remainder of his contract by midnight March 1, and whoever claims him will have him available for the playoffs.

So Smith would need to be bought out today, and then placed on waivers tonight for him to be playoff eligible.
If that's correct, Smith would have to have been released before midnight last night to be eligible to play for the Cavs in the playoffs, and the article linked in the original post contained now news of that happening. Doesn't mean it didn't, necessarily -- and Smith could help secure homecourt advantage for the Cavs and then miss the playoffs, I suppose -- but at the moment there's no reason to believe that Smith is headed back to Cleveland.

Edit: just saw a reference on ESPN.com to "the increasing pessimism coming from rival GMs about Smith being waived in time (Sunday's deadline is 11:59 p.m.) to be eligible to play in the playoffs for someone else." So possibly good news -- but it also suggests there's still time, and that the person who posted the above may have been wrong (then again, this wouldn't be the first time someone on ESPN.com misunderstood the transaction rules, so who knows?).

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 09:50:37 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I also think  there is still a possibility of us signing him and cutting a Pruitt or Giddens who's contracts are going to end any how.
Wrong I was! Giddens has three years left and Pruitt one year.

yeah, but there's no clear role for him with Moore here, and i highly doubt that the Cs would screw Moore over at this point and just dump him after three days....

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 09:53:04 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
If a player is a free agent (not on any active roster), he can sign with any team right up to the last game of the season. However if, on March 1, he is still on an active roster (Like Joe Smith is on the Thunder right now), he would not be eligible for posteason play. "Off the roster" means being placed on waivers for 48 hours and no one claiming him.

So Joe Smith would need to clear waivers by midnight March 1. He would have to be placed on waivers by midnight tonight. What the Thunder could do is place him on waivers and hope someone claims him and the remainder of his contract by midnight March 1, and whoever claims him will have him available for the playoffs.

So Smith would need to be bought out today, and then placed on waivers tonight for him to be playoff eligible.
If that's correct, Smith would have to have been released before midnight last night to be eligible to play for the Cavs in the playoffs, and the article linked in the original post contained now news of that happening. Doesn't mean it didn't, necessarily -- and Smith could help secure homecourt advantage for the Cavs and then miss the playoffs, I suppose -- but at the moment there's no reason to believe that Smith is headed back to Cleveland.

would be nice if that is true, but all Smith needs to do is be released by the March 1 deadline. so they actually have plenty of time to work out a deal.

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 09:53:55 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Big Z and Side Show Bob give us problems, but can you imagine Hickson trying to guard KG as time runs down in the fourth?

Much better scenario than Smith guarding KG.

Joe smith throughout his career was obvsiouly much better than
Hmmm...not really...sorry but Joe Smith is helpless when trying to guard KG, last year in the playoffs KG got whatever he wanted when they put Joe smith on him...again stop making him into more then he is..which is an old medicore role player who isnt a good defender

is he better than Moore in your estimation?

Joe smith throughout his career was obvsiouly much better than Mikki Moore, but I  honestly believe Mikki can bring us the same things Smith could.

And this is all irrelevant, Ill take the passionate guy that wants to be here before the ho-hum fine with staying in OKC guy

Antonio McDyess wouldve been the best possible option imo

if Smith gets bought out, then doesn't that mean that he was not fine staying in OKC?

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 09:54:18 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

would be nice if that is true, but all Smith needs to do is be released by the March 1 deadline. so they actually have plenty of time to work out a deal.

Yeah, totally untrue.  Again, Sam Cassell didn't clear waivers until March 3 last season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 09:54:41 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Exactly so he needs to be placed on waivers tomorrow before midnight. Sam Cassell for example didn't clear waivers till March 3rd last year.

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 09:55:14 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Yeah, totally untrue.  Again, Sam Cassell didn't clear waivers until March 3 last season.
Beat me to it. TP Roy!

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 09:57:38 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Beat me to it. TP Roy!

Back atcha.  The goal is to make Celticsblog the most educated group of fans on the net, and every post on subjects like this furthers that aim.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 10:09:22 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
He hasn't played in the last 6 games, I think it's obvious they're working on something.

I think he's a huge addition to the Cavs, especially with Ben Wallace out.

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 10:09:45 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

Beat me to it. TP Roy!

Back atcha.  The goal is to make Celticsblog the most educated group of fans on the net, and every post on subjects like this furthers that aim.

thats a realistic goal considering we have roy hobbs and edgar  ;)

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 10:14:38 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
He hasn't played in the last 6 games, I think it's obvious they're working on something.

I think he's a huge addition to the Cavs, especially with Ben Wallace out.

there is less than no reason for either side to continue in OKC...

and now that Durant turned his ankle, it's lottery time for OKC...

i never understood there ever being any doubt about Smith getting bought out....unless he was from OKC or something...

i guess we can still hope that there is some weird snag, but i can't see why it wasn't always the case that this was going to happen at some point.

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 10:20:47 AM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228
If Joe Smith gets bought out the Hornets should sign him. What a tandem he and Posey would be! Obviously, the Hornets would be unstoppable with those two at the helm.