Author Topic: Joe Smith back to CLE?  (Read 23704 times)

Joe Smith back to CLE?
« on: February 28, 2009, 08:45:25 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
okay so the thing that for some reason seemed in doubt, but never really had a logic to it not happening is happening:

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2009/02/cleveland_cavaliers_joe_smith.html

crap!

Re: Joe Smith back to CLE?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 08:48:30 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Unless I misread that, it appears uncertain. But you had to expect that with what happened to Ben that Cleveland would be struggling to do something.

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 08:49:26 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Am I the only one here that could (or is it couldn't?) care less if Smith goes to the Cavs or not?

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 08:53:27 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Unless I misread that, it appears uncertain. But you had to expect that with what happened to Ben that Cleveland would be struggling to do something.

yeah, but this is exactly the step in this story that i worried about....it always goes like this.

what possible reason does OKC have to keep Smith.

like every team out of the playoffs, they are looking to save money and they aren't even playing the guy.

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 08:55:29 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Am I the only one here that could (or is it couldn't?) care less if Smith goes to the Cavs or not?

based on Wallace going down and the way Smith played for them last year, this would be a big boost for their bench and rotation.

I just wish he was coming to the Cs....

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 08:59:24 AM »

Offline TatteredOnMySleeve

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 107

Im with you, im altogether sick of  the Joe smith talk
couldnt care less, and no he doesnt make cleveland any scarier, some celtics fans have made this guy out to be something he isnt
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 09:00:20 AM »

Offline Michael Anthony

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 117
Big Z and Side Show Bob give us problems, but can you imagine Hickson trying to guard KG as time runs down in the fourth?

Much better scenario than Smith guarding KG.
"All I have to know is, he's my coach, and I follow his lead. He didn't have to say anything in here this week. We all knew what we had to do. He's a big part of our family, and we're like his extended family. And we did what good families do when one of their own is affected." - Teddy Bruschi

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2009, 09:01:03 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I definitely would have preferred waiting on signing Moore until the Smith situation was resolved.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 09:02:18 AM »

• Don Chaney
Big Z and Side Show Bob give us problems, but can you imagine Hickson trying to guard KG as time runs down in the fourth?

Hmmm...not really...sorry but Joe Smith is helpless when trying to guard KG, last year in the playoffs KG got whatever he wanted when they put Joe smith on him...again stop making him into more then he is..which is an old medicore role player who isnt a good defender
When you got it going, you got it going. I just keep my focus down the stretch. That's when I want the ball. I'm just not afraid to fail."-PaulPierce

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2009, 09:02:50 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
I definitely would have preferred waiting on signing Moore until the Smith situation was resolved.

my gut agrees with u, however if we waited and moore signed somewhere else, then smith was never bought out or he signed with someone else, we would be left with nothing.

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2009, 09:04:00 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

yeah, they mentioned in one story that Smith hasn't changed his position in that he said that he hasn't heard anything about him getting bought out.

hello??

the question isn't whether he has heard anything, the question is: are you looking to get bought out?

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2009, 09:04:46 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

Hmmm...not really...sorry but Joe Smith is helpless when trying to guard KG, last year in the playoffs KG got whatever he wanted when they put Joe smith on him...again stop making him into more then he is..which is an old medicore role player who isnt a good defender

is he better than Moore in your estimation?

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2009, 09:13:24 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
by the way, Moore and Smith are the same age...

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2009, 09:23:09 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178

Joe Smith was on the Cleveland team we beat last year, this is true. His biggest value IMO was the ability to knock down a 12+ ft jumper, hit his free throws and as a big, long body to get his hands up on defense. Same basically as Mikki Moore but maybe a little better rebounder/defender, neither is a lock down defender. They both eat up minutes and space in the middle at the 4/5 while not killing you while the starters rest.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2009, 09:30:10 AM »

• Don Chaney

Joe smith throughout his career was obvsiouly much better than

is he better than Moore in your estimation?

Joe smith throughout his career was obvsiouly much better than Mikki Moore, but I  honestly believe Mikki can bring us the same things Smith could.

And this is all irrelevant, Ill take the passionate guy that wants to be here before the ho-hum fine with staying in OKC guy

Antonio McDyess wouldve been the best possible option imo