Author Topic: Should we consider starting Marbury?  (Read 13842 times)

Re: Should we consider starting Marbury?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 01:08:05 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
marbury is starting material just not with this current team. His role will be served as the bench guy/shooter

I expect rondo to keep his 30 mins a game at worst and marbury to consistantly play 15-18 mins.

Marbury easily can give us 8-10 points a game

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 01:39:54 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Marbury clearly needs some time to get comfortable with our defensive scheme. I don't consider that a major minus, because he hasn't even attended a practice yet. But he was getting lost on picks bigtime.

One thing Marbury will need to get used to is trusting his teammates to be where they are supposed to be on defense. He hasn't played with a cohesive team in a long time.

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2009, 02:05:54 AM »

Offline TheShowPowe

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
NOOOOOOO!!! No starting Marbury! That would be the biggest mistake this team could make. Why ruin a good starting unit by putting in the biggest cancer in the league to screw things up. Let him shoot all he wants with that second unit off the bench and that's it.

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2009, 03:24:57 AM »

Offline illestmcsgt

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 26
Some people still don't read that this was a joke. But, I wouldn't think of starting him even if Rondo was injured. Imagine telling him he had to go back to the bench after being a starter? His head would get too big and be playing more of a role then he should. I rather him stay coming off the bench and providing us the boost we need.

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2009, 06:13:58 AM »

Offline phaze

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
I think Marbury will end up about 20 mins per game and we should expect to see him and Rondo on the floor together at times.

I'm really excited about this now.  For the rest of the season we should never have a moment without a real PG on the floor!  AND guys like Powe, House, etc. should only become more efficient for it.

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2009, 08:01:30 AM »

Offline FanInTheSouth

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 4
NOOOOOOO!!! No starting Marbury! That would be the biggest mistake this team could make. Why ruin a good starting unit by putting in the biggest cancer in the league to screw things up. Let him shoot all he wants with that second unit off the bench and that's it.

That's exactly what I was going to say!!!

...then I read the first post.

« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2009, 08:41:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
All kidding aside, Marbury's addition if he stays a positive clubhouse guy, will be huge as it will swing Eddie over to his natural 2 position and with a second team of

Marbury
House-TAllen
Moore
Davis-Powe
Scal-TAllen

the second team can extend the defense and open up lanes for Tony and Marbury. I am especially excited to see what Marbury is going to do with second team point guards guarding him. If last night is any indication then Marbury could be good for 8 points a night and will open up Eddie and the inside for some very good second team offense once the new guys gel in.

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2009, 08:45:32 AM »

Offline Gomesfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 102
Only if Perk was hurt! This would be a nasty small up-temo line, can you say small ball..

PG- Rondo
SG- Marbury
SF- R Allen
PF- Peirce
C - Garnett
L.A. Clippers
Derrick Rose Blake Griffin 4.11 5.3 5.15 6.11 7.15 8.11 9.15 10.11 11.15 12.11 13.15

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2009, 09:42:44 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I don't think some people read the original post to well.  ::)
I'd love for marbury to understand his role much like eddie.  Eddie might not be the greatest defensive guy to ever play in the nba but he knows he can really put out a lot of energy in his minutes.  If marbury who i've always hated can play his 15 minutes a game and work his butt off on both ends of the court....
we are looking at a really good bench with everyone healthy

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2009, 09:56:40 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
I read the first post and TP for the misdirection play, excellent.

I am a little concerned that Marbury will gain a comfort level after playing some minutes, 20+ per game of so, and begin to try to take over the offense. This is like the 'one shot' possessions we saw from Sam last year. In fairness, there werent too many of them but enough to be noticeable in a couple of games. I just want Marbury to be a good teammate and buy completely into our system with Doc and the big three. If he does that after this brief honeymoon is over, then I will be very happy because I will know he is an asset we can count on.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2009, 10:11:29 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I'm pretty sure several of the people who responded didn't bother to read the actual post and see that it was a joke.

Anyway...

I don't think Marbury was getting "lit" by Rush. Rush is significantly bigger than Marbury, and he hit some fairly difficult shots.

I know Rush is a huge size mismatch for Marbury, so I'm not blaming him (and remember the point of the statement was that Marbury did play good defense in the 2nd half), but I was just stating the facts - he got lit up. Rush was hitting open shot after open shot because Marbury couldn't stay with him. It was Jack who hit a couple of tough shots against Marbury. Marbury was guarding Rush in the 2nd quarter when the Pacers took back the lead with a 10-0 run. Again, not blaming him, but he got torched.

this isn't a problem with Marbury so much as a problem with no backup wing in the rotation.

at one point Rondo was guarding Daniels....talk about a mismatch.

i thought there was a switch, but there really wasn't. Ray was guarding Rush and Eddie was on Jack or Deiner (can't remember).

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2009, 10:19:40 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I'm pretty sure several of the people who responded didn't bother to read the actual post and see that it was a joke.

Anyway...

I don't think Marbury was getting "lit" by Rush. Rush is significantly bigger than Marbury, and he hit some fairly difficult shots.

I know Rush is a huge size mismatch for Marbury, so I'm not blaming him (and remember the point of the statement was that Marbury did play good defense in the 2nd half), but I was just stating the facts - he got lit up. Rush was hitting open shot after open shot because Marbury couldn't stay with him. It was Jack who hit a couple of tough shots against Marbury. Marbury was guarding Rush in the 2nd quarter when the Pacers took back the lead with a 10-0 run. Again, not blaming him, but he got torched.

this isn't a problem with Marbury so much as a problem with no backup wing in the rotation.

at one point Rondo was guarding Daniels....talk about a mismatch.

i thought there was a switch, but there really wasn't. Ray was guarding Rush and Eddie was on Jack or Deiner (can't remember).

Yeps, we're kind of undersized in the backcourt. I really thing this idea of the backup wing replaced by a committee of guards is kind of weird. Imagine if they had two extra-big guards like Granger and Dunleavy healthy. Yikes.

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So, they Celtics now have Marbury to start for Rondo and Scali to start with KG.

Watch out, the Celtics have the strongest bench in the league with KG and Rondo.

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2009, 10:26:17 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
While I would not start Marbury, I could see him playing some minutes with the starters, especially if we face a collapsing defense and Rondo refuses to shoot or shoots poorly. Can't get away with that with Steph out there.

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2009, 11:00:54 AM »

Offline elcotte

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 52
Nobody covered Rush last night.