Author Topic: Walker and Giddens, Again.  (Read 14961 times)

Re: Walker and Giddens, Again.
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2009, 06:10:47 AM »

Offline Galiza Ceive

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 12
Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are undoubtedly in front of them, and then there's... who?  For the third time, what happens when Paul Pierce can't play due to foul trouble?  Do you put Ray on LeBron for 36 minutes of the game?  I sure hope not.  Again, what if we have to put one of the rookies on the court in the playoffs? 

Yeah, that's why I've been saying a backup wing would have been my first priority and I've no idea how people thought a PG or a big man were greater needs.

I disagree with your solution though. Does anyone really know if the rookies are even NBA material? Are we going to trust on a 2nd round rookie with little to none NBA experience to play such a prominent role in the playoffs? I mean, it's certainly possible (anything is, as Garnett told us), but what are the odds?

Do you have a better solution?  The deadline is tomorrow.  We aren't getting any new pieces.  So tell me:  who guards LeBron when Paul can't?  Do you let him eat Ray?  Do you put Garnett, or maybe Powe on him?  Do you go small, tell Rondo or Marbury to stay in front of him and pray that his jumpshot isn't finding bottom that day?  Whether we like it or not - most of us don't - the 2nd round rookie with little to no NBA experience is the only legit backup 3 on the roster.  I don't expect Scalabrine back this year (he can't hold Bron's jock anyway), and I'm not optimistic about TA either.  Unless TA makes it back sooner than I think he will, we just don't have the personnel.

I don't feel like you guys are really seeing what I'm saying here.  I'm not questioning Doc's decisions regarding the situation - although Danny is another matter entirely.  All I'm saying is that the possibility exists that Walker will need to spell Pierce on Bron for a few minutes in the playoffs, and I'd rather him have some regular season minutes under his belt in preparation for that emergency.

The only thing we need is to grab the first seed and wait for the Pistons (7th) or the Magic (3rd) take care of Lebron. Ditto for Kobe and the Lakers, I can still see the Celtics facing the Spurs in the finals.

Maybe it is a bit too optimistic but why not?

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2009, 06:15:18 AM »

Offline phaze

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 4
I bet Walker and Giddens see as many minutes as I do in the playoffs.

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2009, 06:31:32 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I think Doc really needs to show some foresight here - with the lack of proven depth at the small forward position on this team, Doc needs to figure out whether either of these guys has it in them to step up in a real game, not in practice.

If look at comparative teams at our level (Cleveland, LA, San Antonio, Orlando) their rookies are playing substantial minutes, outside of the Lakers.

JJ Hickson: 12 MPG
George Hill: 17 MPG
Courtney Lee: 23 MPG

While each of these picks was significantly earlier than either Giddens or Walker, these teams are getting substantial contributions from their rookies.

Perhaps, if Doc had more patience with rookies and acclimated into significant minutes, we could have more depth on a bench that is widely known as being shallow. 

What if those players are better and/or more NBA ready than our rookies? As I wrote in the Hickson/Walker comparison thread I'm yet to see a sensible argument in favour of Walker as an equivalent prospect/player...

The only thing we need is to grab the first seed and wait for the Pistons (7th) or the Magic (3rd) take care of Lebron. Ditto for Kobe and the Lakers, I can still see the Celtics facing the Spurs in the finals.

Maybe it is a bit too optimistic but why not?

Heh... trusting on favourable playoffs seedings (and on lesser teams eliminating a much better one) instead of correcting an obvious flaw on the roster? Quite optimistic indeed. And we'd have the same problem: Hedo is a 6'10'' SF.

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2009, 06:41:57 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
Do you have a better solution?  The deadline is tomorrow.  We aren't getting any new pieces.  So tell me:  who guards LeBron when Paul can't?  Do you let him eat Ray?  Do you put Garnett, or maybe Powe on him?  Do you go small, tell Rondo or Marbury to stay in front of him and pray that his jumpshot isn't finding bottom that day?  Whether we like it or not - most of us don't - the 2nd round rookie with little to no NBA experience is the only legit backup 3 on the roster.  I don't expect Scalabrine back this year (he can't hold Bron's jock anyway), and I'm not optimistic about TA either.  Unless TA makes it back sooner than I think he will, we just don't have the personnel.

I don't feel like you guys are really seeing what I'm saying here.  I'm not questioning Doc's decisions regarding the situation - although Danny is another matter entirely.  All I'm saying is that the possibility exists that Walker will need to spell Pierce on Bron for a few minutes in the playoffs, and I'd rather him have some regular season minutes under his belt in preparation for that emergency.

Yeah, I'd cut someone and bring another wing to the roster (all this assuming TA won't be able to play). If Scal is out for the season as well, I'd definitely to this. And I don't think that playing the rookies a few minutes in the 30 or so remaining games would get them ready or make a difference. If they beat someone to get minutes, great; if there's garbage time available, great; other than that...

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2009, 07:16:13 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are undoubtedly in front of them, and then there's... who?  For the third time, what happens when Paul Pierce can't play due to foul trouble?  Do you put Ray on LeBron for 36 minutes of the game?  I sure hope not.  Again, what if we have to put one of the rookies on the court in the playoffs? 

Yeah, that's why I've been saying a backup wing would have been my first priority and I've no idea how people thought a PG or a big man were greater needs.

I disagree with your solution though. Does anyone really know if the rookies are even NBA material? Are we going to trust on a 2nd round rookie with little to none NBA experience to play such a prominent role in the playoffs? I mean, it's certainly possible (anything is, as Garnett told us), but what are the odds?

Not being disrespectful but, are you trying to tell me this whole thing is about your concern about who will guard LeBron in the playoffs when Paul Pierce has to sit?

First off, there's no guarantee we even see LeBron, though I do acknowledge it is extremely likely. Second, why can't Pierce guard LeBron every minute LeBron is on the floor. Pierce is definitely LeBrons ying to Pierce's yang. They are the two most physically talented SF's in the league and they bring out the best in each other. If for a series Pierce has to play 42 MPG and guard LeBron then so what, let him.

I just don't see where there is a problem. It's not like Pierce is 38 and can't play LeBron big minutes in a playoff series. He's 31 and in his physical prime.

« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2009, 07:28:05 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
"Doc is horrible with gauging when young players are ready to contribute. I don't buy his, "earn their minutes in practice" crap. It might apply to vets, on his team, but doesn't seem like it for the youngins."---ManUp
Yeah, Doc is terrible. Fancy dunks do not make a player ready to play in the NBA. And I think Rondo just turned 23 meaning he was 22 when he was the point guard on the World Champion Boston Celtics. Is 22 young enough?

Did you read through my post or just skim through it? I think I already addressed why I believe Rondo started last year, and I don't remember mentioning anything about fancy dunks. Now if you feel like explaining why starting Pierce at PF over Al Jefferson was a good idea, I'm all ears (or eyes)...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:40:02 AM by ManUp »

« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2009, 07:28:17 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

Not being disrespectful but, are you trying to tell me this whole thing is about your concern about who will guard LeBron in the playoffs when Paul Pierce has to sit?

First off, there's no guarantee we even see LeBron, though I do acknowledge it is extremely likely. Second, why can't Pierce guard LeBron every minute LeBron is on the floor. Pierce is definitely LeBrons ying to Pierce's yang. They are the two most physically talented SF's in the league and they bring out the best in each other. If for a series Pierce has to play 42 MPG and guard LeBron then so what, let him.

I just don't see where there is a problem. It's not like Pierce is 38 and can't play LeBron big minutes in a playoff series. He's 31 and in his physical prime.

that would be a mistake IMO. while Pierce does a solid job on LeBron, I think Lebron wears out Pierce more than Pierce wears out Lebron.

so the net effect IMO is in favor of CLE.

Sure it's possible to not face CLE in the playoffs, but IMO it would be a mistake to not have a plan in place to give Paul time where he doesn't guard Lebron.

Plus, nick, what if Paul gets in foul trouble?

Also, for the short term, Paul now has a thumb injury which he himself said has him hesitant to expose to contact.....

It's pretty clear to me that to go the rest of the way with no one getting minutes as the back up three is putting a burden on Ray and Paul that really does not need to be there.

« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2009, 07:29:21 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen

Foul trouble, for example. And not forcing pierce to guard LeBron the entire game would be quite helpful on the other side of the floor. And LeBron will play 45 minutes per game, that's how he rolls in the playoffs.

« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2009, 08:04:30 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
also, LeBron is not the only wing that could give us trouble...certainly the most important to think about, but not the only one.

there's:

Wade
Granger
Turk
Iguodala
Joe Johnson
Wallace
Vince
Deng

Ray could guard Wade, but the rest of those guys we really have no other decent matchup for ready to get some minutes.....

and obviously again LeBron...

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2009, 08:29:24 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
also, LeBron is not the only wing that could give us trouble...certainly the most important to think about, but not the only one.

there's:

Wade
Granger
Turk
Iguodala
Joe Johnson
Wallace
Vince
Deng

Ray could guard Wade, but the rest of those guys we really have no other decent matchup for ready to get some minutes.....

Ray can cover all of those guys except for Wallace, & Turk. The thing about Lebron that makes him more of a problem is his physicality. He'll out muscle smaller defenders, and blow by slower ones. Those other guys aren't going to press the issue of getting to the rim like Lebron, therefore fouls won't be as much of an issue.

« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2009, 08:32:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
If Pierce has to guard LeBron and has to give up some offense and that results in a net gain for Cleveland, I have no problem with that. No matter who we put on leBron, no matter who anyone puts on LeBron the net effect is advantage Cleveland. That is the same with every team in the league.

But, Pierce minimizes that effect better than any player in the league and unlike any other player in the league, forces LeBron to expend huge amounts of energy guarding Pierce. He's as close to a physical matchup as there is in the league and he's a deadly scorer in big game situations. The netyeffect is advantage Cleveland but isn't it less of an advantage than thinking Walker or Giddens will be able to guard LeBronfor 8-15 MPG? My guess is that Walker and Giddens can't guard Pierce in practice. How then can the coaching staff expect these guys to guard LeBron in the playoff game atmosphere that is being proposed?

As for foul trouble then let's hope Scal and Tony are healthy because I would trust either of those guys before either of the rookies. Sorry mates but Danny made his bed and now Doc has to sleep in it. Danny has two days of waiting to see who shakes loose to come up with a solution for the back up SF spot. It's not going to happen.

Danny traded Cassell and POB the way he did so that he could add two bodies without eating contract cash by simply cutting the two players that were already in place. I firmly believe the roster is done and Danny is adding no one else. Doc better hope the team gets healthy and that he gets to rest Pierce because of some blowouts because, like it or not, Pierce will be guarding LeBron 40-42 MPG in any series we play the Cavs in.

As for some of the other wing players Ray guards Johnson, Carter, and Wade and I have no problem whatsoever with Pierce matching up on Iguodala, Deng, Wallace, Turkoglu, or Granger. That is a match that favors the Celtics in every case and we still have the other wing, PF, and PG match ups that are hugely in favor of the Celtics in most of those cases with those teams.

I'm sorry but I think your problems aren't with Doc playing and developing players that just aren't ready or perhapsd talented enough to contribute. I think your problem is with Danny not putting together a club that is as well balanced and experienced as you believe we need it to be.

The time for addressing these concerns was last off season. Danny instead decided to go with the "second-round-talent-and-crippled-player-and-no-talent-7-footer-player-and-oft-injured-returning-2-guard-that-is-stupid-and-can't-shoot" philosophy of backinmg up the wing position. Dumb, dumb, dumb move. He should have addressed his bench concerns with proven vets with proven skills.

Stop trying to stick this on Doc not developing players that weren't good enough to develop. The fault here lies with the team Mr. Ainge put together not with Doc's not trusting a mid-second round talent to play big important minutes versus the best player in the league.

« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2009, 08:35:58 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

there's:

Wade
Granger
Turk
Iguodala
Joe Johnson
Wallace
Vince
Deng

Ray can cover all of those guys except for Wallace, & Turk. The thing about Lebron that makes him more of a problem is his physicality. He'll out muscle smaller defenders, and blow by slower ones. Those other guys aren't going to press the issue of getting to the rim like Lebron, therefore fouls won't be as much of an issue.

sure you can throw Ray at these guys, but they are not good matchups for him and again and force him to expend more energy on the defensive side of the ball.

the value of having a guy other than Paul or Ray that can guard these types of guys is two fold. It helps our overall defense because then Ray or Paul is guarding another player that they are better than and can neutralize even more, and it gives both of them more energy on the offensive side of the ball....

Paul is playing 40 minutes against a not very good team with an injured thumb....clearly there is a hole at the backup 3...

« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2009, 08:41:00 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
If Pierce has to guard LeBron and has to give up some offense and that results in a net gain for Cleveland, I have no problem with that. No matter who we put on leBron, no matter who anyone puts on LeBron the net effect is advantage Cleveland. That is the same with every team in the league.

But, Pierce minimizes that effect better than any player in the league and unlike any other player in the league, forces LeBron to expend huge amounts of energy guarding Pierce. He's as close to a physical matchup as there is in the league and he's a deadly scorer in big game situations. The netyeffect is advantage Cleveland but isn't it less of an advantage than thinking Walker or Giddens will be able to guard LeBronfor 8-15 MPG? My guess is that Walker and Giddens can't guard Pierce in practice. How then can the coaching staff expect these guys to guard LeBron in the playoff game atmosphere that is being proposed?

As for foul trouble then let's hope Scal and Tony are healthy because I would trust either of those guys before either of the rookies. Sorry mates but Danny made his bed and now Doc has to sleep in it. Danny has two days of waiting to see who shakes loose to come up with a solution for the back up SF spot. It's not going to happen.

Danny traded Cassell and POB the way he did so that he could add two bodies without eating contract cash by simply cutting the two players that were already in place. I firmly believe the roster is done and Danny is adding no one else. Doc better hope the team gets healthy and that he gets to rest Pierce because of some blowouts because, like it or not, Pierce will be guarding LeBron 40-42 MPG in any series we play the Cavs in.

As for some of the other wing players Ray guards Johnson, Carter, and Wade and I have no problem whatsoever with Pierce matching up on Iguodala, Deng, Wallace, Turkoglu, or Granger. That is a match that favors the Celtics in every case and we still have the other wing, PF, and PG match ups that are hugely in favor of the Celtics in most of those cases with those teams.

I'm sorry but I think your problems aren't with Doc playing and developing players that just aren't ready or perhapsd talented enough to contribute. I think your problem is with Danny not putting together a club that is as well balanced and experienced as you believe we need it to be.

The time for addressing these concerns was last off season. Danny instead decided to go with the "second-round-talent-and-crippled-player-and-no-talent-7-footer-player-and-oft-injured-returning-2-guard-that-is-stupid-and-can't-shoot" philosophy of backinmg up the wing position. Dumb, dumb, dumb move. He should have addressed his bench concerns with proven vets with proven skills.

Stop trying to stick this on Doc not developing players that weren't good enough to develop. The fault here lies with the team Mr. Ainge put together not with Doc's not trusting a mid-second round talent to play big important minutes versus the best player in the league.

no i agree nick, this is not really a Doc problem. having to go to a rookie at this point in a Title defense season is not what should have to happen.

but you still have to have a plan given what pieces you have. and hoping Scal or TA comes back is a plan that makes me very nervous given the nature of both injuries...

with Paul now battling a thumb injury too....

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2009, 08:45:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

no i agree nick, this is not really a Doc problem. having to go to a rookie at this point in a Title defense season is not what should have to happen.

but you still have to have a plan given what pieces you have. and hoping Scal or TA comes back is a plan that makes me very nervous given the nature of both injuries...

And yet a Celtics-Cavs series wouldn't start until the 3rd week of May. It's still only February. I doubt the C's allow a Pierce thumb injury that is fairly minor linger until May and Allen could be back by the first playoff series. Scal, well, I hope he's okay. He's not great but he's a good guy who I'd hate to see be effected long term by a neurological problem.

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2009, 08:51:34 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas

And yet a Celtics-Cavs series wouldn't start until the 3rd week of May. It's still only February. I doubt the C's allow a Pierce thumb injury that is fairly minor linger until May and Allen could be back by the first playoff series. Scal, well, I hope he's okay. He's not great but he's a good guy who I'd hate to see be effected long term by a neurological problem.

i hope you're right, but I'd like to have a backup plan and i'd like Paul not playing 40 mins with an injured thumb that dislocated twice in the Clipps game.

don't you think that DET and CLE know this and will give it a couple of whacks in the week ahead here...?