Author Topic: When can we say that Ainge had a terrible offseason?  (Read 63229 times)

Re: When can we say that Ainge had a terrible offseason?
« Reply #195 on: March 01, 2009, 05:16:24 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It's like when my company decides that our strategy should be to target big customers that will buy a ton of our products. Like we're the only ones in the industry to think of that... If you think that the best way to build your team is to pass on serviceable players that can help your team in favor of "impact" players that may or may not become available and may or may not choose your team if they do, then fine.

what's the point, Bball, where your company stops targeting the big customers?

I'm not sure the analogy really works here...

The point is that all the company targets big customers. You can't count on getting all of them, so you need a plan in addition to that.

but does any additional plan take you out of the running for the big customers....

and there are additional plans....like i said yesterday, if you lose out on the "impact" guys or they don't get released, you target guys like Horry or Pollard...

I'm just not certain that the amount better we get with Moore is enough of a difference, so that is why i think they should have waited...

anyway, i'm hoping for the best at this point...

I don't know that the gap from Smith to Moore is greater than the gap from Moore to Pollard or Horry.

If Smith thought that it was very likely that he'd be bought out and he wanted to come to the Celts he would have conveyed that to Ainge. Yet Ainge chose to sign Moore. Either Danny didn't want Smith or it was unlikely that he was coming here.

I'm just giving my opinion and IMO Smith is an impact player in a way that Moore and Pollard are not. Horry could actually have been better than either....

regardless, I agree that there was some question as to whether Smith would get the buyout (and it does seem that that is why Danny pulled the trigger on Moore), but i think it was worth the gamble because of the potential impact Smith could have had...both coming here and in turn not going to CLE...

We'll probably find out about Horry because if he's as good as you say someone will sign him. And there's no way to show, even if Smith is bought out, whether we had a chance at him or not.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 05:28:57 PM by BballTim »

« Reply #196 on: March 01, 2009, 05:28:19 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255

It's like when my company decides that our strategy should be to target big customers that will buy a ton of our products. Like we're the only ones in the industry to think of that... If you think that the best way to build your team is to pass on serviceable players that can help your team in favor of "impact" players that may or may not become available and may or may not choose your team if they do, then fine.

The point is that all the company targets big customers. You can't count on getting all of them, so you need a plan in addition to that.

but does any additional plan take you out of the running for the big customers....

and there are additional plans....like i said yesterday, if you lose out on the "impact" guys or they don't get released, you target guys like Horry or Pollard...

I'm just not certain that the amount better we get with Moore is enough of a difference, so that is why i think they should have waited...

I don't know that the gap from Smith to Moore is greater than the gap from Moore to Pollard or Horry.

If Smith thought that it was very likely that he'd be bought out and he wanted to come to the Celts he would have conveyed that to Ainge. Yet Ainge chose to sign Moore. Either Danny didn't want Smith or it was unlikely that he was coming here.

I'm just giving my opinion and IMO Smith is an impact player in a way that Moore and Pollard are not. Horry could actually have been better than either....

regardless, I agree that there was some question as to whether Smith would get the buyout (and it does seem that that is why Danny pulled the trigger on Moore), but i think it was worth the gamble because of the potential impact Smith could have had...both coming here and in turn not going to CLE...

We'll probably find out about Horry because if he's as good as you say someone will sign him. And there's no way to show that, even if Smith is bought out, whether we had a chance at him or not.

all i know is that signing Moore ends the whole thing....

you can't sign Moore promising him a role and then totally screw him over by going after Smith....plus how much cred can you have romancing Smith and telling him how important he would be here when you just totally duped Moore...

« Reply #197 on: March 01, 2009, 05:30:14 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

We'll probably find out about Horry because if he's as good as you say someone will sign him. And there's no way to show that, even if Smith is bought out, whether we had a chance at him or not.

all i know is that signing Moore ends the whole thing....

you can't sign Moore promising him a role and then totally screw him over by going after Smith....plus how much cred can you have romancing Smith and telling him how important he would be here when you just totally duped Moore...

Just curious, since I don't know, but when it looked like Smith was staying and we signed Moore did you criticize Ainge for not passing on Mikki just in case?

« Reply #198 on: March 01, 2009, 05:44:09 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=25961.msg432425#msg432425

It never seemed to me that Smith wouldn't get bought out....I never understood why it wouldn't happen..

but yeah, i think i have been pretty consistent on this one. and i acknowledge that if better players don't get moved, the decision to pull the trigger on Moore looks better....