Author Topic: Doc: Sully is a warrior, he's going nowhere....  (Read 17560 times)

Re: Doc: Sully is a warrior, he's going nowhere....
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2013, 11:10:26 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
In the post game interview Doc said sully's a warrior and not going anywhere....

I love sully , but would trade him for gortat or varajaeo

Thoughts?

for Gortat or Varejao No way. For Cousins yes.

I'd move Sully for Varejao in a heart beat.  He'd make us immediate top-tier contenders.  A mobile, excellent defender who can play both front court positions and who is an elite rebounder?  That's exactly what this team needs.

Gortat isn't as good as Varejao, but I'd probably pull the trigger on that deal, too.  Sully's play lately has made me hesitate on that more than I would have a couple of weeks ago, though.

I don't know. Sideshow BoB is too injury prone. He missed a lot of games in last 3 years. And too facilitate a trade it would take Sully, another rotation player, Melo, and possibly picks.

No, Thank you.

« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2013, 11:18:43 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
if the C's keep up this high level of play and start to go on a streak, I doubt you see ainge make a big trade.

maybe something minor to get a big that is better than collins....but right now we just beat 3 teams with quality centers(hibbert, horford, chandler)

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2013, 11:21:02 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1550
if the C's keep up this high level of play and start to go on a streak, I doubt you see ainge make a big trade.

maybe something minor to get a big that is better than collins....but right now we just beat 3 teams with quality centers(hibbert, horford, chandler)

we still need a big who can score, play D and block shots when KG is out. AB cannot do everything. for us to be a real contender we need a trade. nothing has changed as far as that goes. bradley gets hurt and we are back to square one without another big like i described. we need one regardless.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2013, 11:22:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
or maybe Doc' s saying Sully is headed to Golden State  ;)
Yup

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2013, 11:39:32 PM »

Offline TripleOT

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 213
I think Sully has more upside than many people think.  Regarding rebounding, you don't have to be taller than Sullinger to be a good rebounder.  This year four of the top six rpg guys are Sully's height, Varegao, Zach Randolph, David Lee, and JJ Hickson. 

If Sully can become a 11-12 rpg player, and develops his offensive game, he could be an all star level player.  He has a good shooting tough that extends to the three point line, and has the knack of getting his shot off in the paint against bigger players.  He also has a very good feel for the game, even as a rookie.   

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
In the post game interview Doc said sully's a warrior and not going anywhere....

Thoughts?

I'd move Sully for Varejao in a heart beat.  He'd make us immediate top-tier contenders.  A mobile, excellent defender who can play both front court positions and who is an elite rebounder?  That's exactly what this team needs.

Gortat isn't as good as Varejao, but I'd probably pull the trigger on that deal, too.  Sully's play lately has made me hesitate on that more than I would have a couple of weeks ago, though.

I don't know. Sideshow BoB is too injury prone. He missed a lot of games in last 3 years. And too facilitate a trade it would take Sully, another rotation player, Melo, and possibly picks.

No, Thank you.

TP for similar thoughts. If Bob were more durable it is a no brainer, but at 30 something with his chronic history of being injured, I'd definitely be hesitant.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2013, 11:46:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
or maybe Doc' s saying Sully is headed to Golden State  ;)

Another hearty lol.

Doc doesn't make personell decisions, and the odds of Sully being moved are pretty low. But people are talking about it, and Sully is young. Statements like this one are words that might help that possible festering wound.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2013, 11:51:59 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
I think Sully has more upside than many people think.  Regarding rebounding, you don't have to be taller than Sullinger to be a good rebounder.  This year four of the top six rpg guys are Sully's height, Varegao, Zach Randolph, David Lee, and JJ Hickson. 

If Sully can become a 11-12 rpg player, and develops his offensive game, he could be an all star level player.  He has a good shooting tough that extends to the three point line, and has the knack of getting his shot off in the paint against bigger players.  He also has a very good feel for the game, even as a rookie.

I think All Star might be a bit much.  I just want him to be a solid role player at a cost controlled reasonable price for five years.  You can't have five max players.  You need two, three at the most, to build your team and then get solid role players to fill out the other spots. 

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2013, 12:04:33 AM »

Offline ScoobyDoo

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 442
Let's see:

1. Tough as nails in the paint - check
2. Likes to throw his weight around - check
3. Has a mean streak - check
4. Takes well to coaching - check
5. High character kid - check
6. Very high basketball IQ - check
7. Much better on D than given credit for - check
8. Knows how to score on the block - check
9. Also has a very good jump shot - check
10. Works hard - check
11. Doesn't complain - check
12. Willing to do the dirty work - check
13. On the books, cheap, for 4 years - check
14. Should be a 20 yr old junior in college - check

Gortat: currently averaging 11 points and 8 rebounds, 28 years old and a 6 year veteran who is 8 years older than Sully.

I don't think I'm trading Sully for Gortat - you just can't find kids like this guy, with all the above qualities - they aren't out there. he's a very unusual kid.

Cousins is a great talent - but boy does he have issues.

Sully, Bradley and Melo - good young kids with character - that's what you build around.

I'm in no rush to trade any of these guys. If Melo keeps progressing the way he has this far, how do you think Melo's speed and length in the lane will combine with Sully's brahma bull act in 1-2 years? Very nicely, thank you very much.   

Let the kids develop, they'll be more valuable in time anyway if you eventually want to trade them.

I still favor a smaller move to get a Dalembert level player - something along those lines.

I think Sully is easily a 15/10 guy next year, perhaps a 20/10 guy within 2-3 years.

What else does he bring with that ability - the enforcer mentality.

« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2013, 12:08:46 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Can we now assume that when he wants #7 in the game, Doc says, "Sullinger....COME OUT AND PLAYYYY"

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2013, 12:23:01 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
Sully should be pretty much untradeable...you have to start thinking about the future at this point. Rondo/Bradley/Sullinger could be our core for years to come.

Look at how good he is already. Its his FIRST season and he's not even in great shape. Sully is going to be something special in this league.

Thats a core of a 5-7th seed in the playoffs.  ::)

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2013, 12:26:26 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

Thoughts?

Agreed. Sully is improving past, but there is a ceiling for undersized play under the rim big man. He is a warrior, but Gortat/Varejao/Cousins are better players than Sully ever can be.

TP for using my always go to "there is a ceiling for undersized play under the rim big man" arguement. Couldnt agree with you more.

Love Sully he is playing great. If we can trade Bass in a deal for a Varejo or Gortat you have to look into moving him first. But if Sully is the deal breaker then I have to move him.

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2013, 12:30:55 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32

Thoughts?

Agreed. Sully is improving past, but there is a ceiling for undersized play under the rim big man. He is a warrior, but Gortat/Varejao/Cousins are better players than Sully ever can be.

TP for using my always go to "there is a ceiling for undersized play under the rim big man" arguement. Couldnt agree with you more.

Love Sully he is playing great. If we can trade Bass in a deal for a Varejo or Gortat you have to look into moving him first. But if Sully is the deal breaker then I have to move him.

Only move Sully for Cousins. Once Gortat or Sideshow Bob are done, we have to find more pieces. Cousins is 22 and if he gets his act together a perennial all star.

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:12 AM »

Offline jbaerg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 16
Honestly, it wasn't his best stat line, but you could tell, he broke through tonight. That smile he had after chandler fouled him said it all.

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2013, 12:37:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

I know he is listed at 6  9 but i just dont buy it. Even if he is. All these other guys have an above the rim game and a much higher vertical than Sully. But in any case, I will agree that for rebounding purposes you dont necessarily need to be taller.