Author Topic: would a young Shaq be able to dominate in the modern nba?  (Read 13771 times)

Re: would a young Shaq be able to dominate in the modern nba?
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2019, 05:44:04 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Old, out of shape Shaq was still dominating with Rondo not too long ago, so I'm assuming a young in shape Shaq would still dominate just a few years later.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2019, 05:55:45 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
See, it's threads like this one that made me EXTREMELY hesitant to play in our All-Time Fantasy Draft, LOL...

Players like Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem - would dominate in TODAY's NBA, TOMORROW's NBA, the NBA in the year 4000....

This generational nonsense is simply crazy.

Wilt would average 40 ppg in todays game no problem

« Reply #32 on: August 20, 2019, 06:09:36 PM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
Of course he would. Who's going to stop him? He was a physical anomoly then and he would be a physical anomoly now.

30ppg/15reb easily.

« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2019, 10:44:48 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
what other centers are also coming with him?  Shaq didn't dominate until Hakeem, Ewing, and Robinson got old. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2019, 11:03:10 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I'm gonna say 1 ppg and 2.5 RPG in his prime.

What kind of questions is this.

« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2019, 11:12:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
what other centers are also coming with him?  Shaq didn't dominate until Hakeem, Ewing, and Robinson got old.

How long did Malone dominate?

« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2019, 11:13:29 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
His game also didn't truly mature until they got old. I think he would've still "BBQ chickened" all 3 of them when he was in his prime, his peak was just a different animal among the 90s centers.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2019, 11:16:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
His game also didn't truly mature until they got old. I think he would've still "BBQ chickened" all 3 of them when he was in his prime, his peak was just a different animal among the 90s centers.
certainly a fair point, but by that maturity Mourning was probably the 2nd best center, and Mourning was nowhere near Shaq's class or size as a player.  Shaq came along at the right time to dominate.  Can't fault him for that.  Very similar to Jordan in that same vein.  His career just timed out perfectly to fit his prime into a void, but at the same time it does make you question just how successful he would have been in another era with greater competition in his position.

« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2019, 11:21:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
certainly a fair point, but by that maturity Mourning was probably the 2nd best center, and Mourning was nowhere near Shaq's class or size as a player.  Shaq came along at the right time to dominate.  Can't fault him for that.  Very similar to Jordan in that same vein.  His career just timed out perfectly to fit his prime into a void, but at the same time it does make you question just how successful he would have been in another era with greater competition in his position.
What I would do to see Wilt go against Shaq both in their primes. Personally I think Wilt would towel him up, because IMO he's the most simply amazing athlete to ever play NBA. But it would be something else
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2019, 11:52:06 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
What I would do to see Wilt go against Shaq both in their primes. Personally I think Wilt would towel him up, because IMO he's the most simply amazing athlete to ever play NBA. But it would be something else
Wilt would dominate him.  He is still the strongest player to ever play the game.  He would run up and down the court for 48 minutes, take tremendous beatings, and not diminish his performance at all.  Absolutely incredible what Wilt did.  Frankly, I think his greatest stat and the one that will never be duplicated is playing 48.52 mpg over the course of a season (Wilt has the 7 highest mpg seasons ever).  Hard to find exact data from 61-62, but according to basketball-reference for the season it appears he sat out 8 minutes of game 39, but didn't miss time in any other game (though he certainly could have sat out a few seconds here or there).  https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/chambwi01/gamelog/1962/

« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2019, 11:59:34 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Wilt would dominate him.  He is still the strongest player to ever play the game.  He would run up and down the court for 48 minutes, take tremendous beatings, and not diminish his performance at all.  Absolutely incredible what Wilt did.  Frankly, I think his greatest stat and the one that will never be duplicated is playing 48.52 mpg over the course of a season (Wilt has the 7 highest mpg seasons ever).  Hard to find exact data from 61-62, but according to basketball-reference for the season it appears he sat out 8 minutes of game 39, but didn't miss time in any other game (though he certainly could have sat out a few seconds here or there).  https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/chambwi01/gamelog/1962/

Who did Wilt compete against? Besides a 6'10" 220 Russell?

« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2019, 12:19:25 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Who did Wilt compete against? Besides a 6'10" 220 Russell?
Um the original golden era of centers.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2019, 12:20:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I think prime Shaq would hold up for the first few quarters but end up being gassed at the end of the game.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2019, 12:24:20 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I think prime Shaq would hold up for the first few quarters but end up being gassed at the end of the game.

We can talk for 40 pages about the "Would've Could've Should'ves" but unless we run some simulation software to see how Bigs REALLY would've faired against one another it's a moot point.

Right now it's a Popularity contest.

« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2019, 12:27:29 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Also - how in the world have we gone from Shaq dominating in Today's NBA to "How he would've faired against ALL the Great Bigs to ever play?"

Is this the Historical Draft thread?