Author Topic: NBA Lockout, What this will mean for Sponsors?  (Read 1899 times)

NBA Lockout, What this will mean for Sponsors?
« on: October 30, 2011, 03:40:30 AM »

Offline Nicc90

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
Hey guys

I am an Australian University student currently doing an assignment on the topic of Sport Sponsorship and I have chosen the NBA lockout as my research base as I love the sport. Specifically, I was interested in some insights into the NBA lockout and how this will be affecting sponsorship for clubs during the season. I sent numerous emails off too NBA clubs for primary data, however during this sensitive time all replied saying league rules meant that all information was confidential, which is understandable.
I was wondering if anyone could have a go at answering the questions below, and provide some input and views on the issue as it would be of great assistance in my primary research and greatly appreciated.

Views in general and specifically to the Celtics are all welcome

Thank you for your time

Nicole  :D

1. Do you think sponsorship will continue throughout the duration of the lockout for clubs? If sponsorship ceases would this affect the club and the players?

2. How do you think sponsors will respond to the lockout? Would they cease their support for the club or what advertising strategies could they employ to keep the club running?

3. Could incentives be provided to sponsors to encourage the continuation of sponsorship throughout the duration of the lockout? Or would clubs have to cut asking prices from sponsors to keep them on?

4. Do you think there is any way that sponsors could possibly compensate players with extra incentives to make up for the lack of contribution from owners, which would allow the season to continue?  And do you think they would be willing to do this?

5. Do you know how any of the sponsors have responded to the cancellation of the first two games? Have they implemented any possible ways that could promote the succession of the season?

6. How essential to the success of a club is sponsorship during the lockout period?

Re: NBA Lockout, What this will mean for Sponsors?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »

Offline heitingas

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I think when a sponsor has a contract and the team is not playing it would be considered breach of contract and the sponsors don't pay money.

But in the NBA I think there are contracts with the league as whole and not not just single teams, (except for some local sponsors).

The NBA teams owners and the NBA itself is hopefully losing money this way (i'm hoping so).