Poll

Who you got at #14? (players are listed in random order)

Tyrell Terry
13 (24.5%)
Patrick Williams
6 (11.3%)
Precious Achiuwa
4 (7.5%)
R.J. Hampton
4 (7.5%)
Aleksej Pokusevski
3 (5.7%)
Saddiq Bey
5 (9.4%)
Jalen Smith
4 (7.5%)
Aaron Nesmith
8 (15.1%)
Kira Lewis Jr.
3 (5.7%)
Cole Anthony
2 (3.8%)
other (please name below and I'll include him in the poll)
1 (1.9%)

Total Members Voted: 53

Author Topic: Who You Got with the 14th Pick? (Poll added)  (Read 117060 times)

Re: Who You Got with the 14th Pick?
« Reply #270 on: September 20, 2020, 08:58:24 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
On NBAdraft.con they have us taking Jalen Smith with the 14th pick. Not being a huge college fan, I had no idea who he was. After doing some research, he seems like a really good prospect. Good rim protector, good rebounder, and a pretty good three point shooter. His problems seem to be a lack of court vision and the need to bulk up. For anyone who watches a lot of college ball, what do you think of Jalen Smith?

I like Jalen Smith but the way he moves is a little clunky. He looks really good in college but I'm not sure how his game will translate. I like the outside shooting and he has good size but he moves strangely.

« Reply #271 on: September 20, 2020, 09:00:30 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
On NBAdraft.con they have us taking Jalen Smith with the 14th pick. Not being a huge college fan, I had no idea who he was. After doing some research, he seems like a really good prospect. Good rim protector, good rebounder, and a pretty good three point shooter. His problems seem to be a lack of court vision and the need to bulk up. For anyone who watches a lot of college ball, what do you think of Jalen Smith?
He’ll be a good athletic 3&D big man in my opinion. I think taking him at 14 would be a bit of a reach, but I certainly wouldn’t be upset with him. I see him as basically growing into PJ Brown with a jumper.

I have other guys I want more but he’d be decent
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #272 on: September 20, 2020, 10:28:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I have seen a few of his game .... and he is not a bad looking PF prospect

However like you stated the lack of court vision + mediocre ball security ... makes you ponder.  His lower body is also thin and he gets pushed deep into the paint against bigger/stronger players

Overall he reminds me of a slightly taller/longer Theis.   The way he can shoot and block shots (weakside especially).   

I like Xavier Tillman more. Better ball handler, passer and overall defender.  But jump shot needs work.    Not as quick or above rim as Bam Adebayo, but similar toolset
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 10:39:11 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #273 on: September 20, 2020, 10:36:06 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I like Jalen Smith but the way he moves is a little clunky. He looks really good in college but I'm not sure how his game will translate. I like the outside shooting and he has good size but he moves strangely.

Yup. But his hip mobility is very good

He is in a weird PF/C type mode at the moment.  Doesn't have handles or perimeter skills to be a stretch 4.  Doesn't have lower body strength to battle bigger players

Tillman though only 6'8 (7'1 wingspan) is a strong dude.   He has shown he can hold off bigger/taller players.  So could defend centers.  + perimeter skills

I would take Tillman at 26

« Reply #274 on: September 21, 2020, 08:56:37 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Likely not going 14th... but I was predicting Danny could be interested in Scrubb

Chris Grenham: Top JUCO recruit Jay Scrubb made a great impression on the Celtics during their virtual pre-draft meeting, per source. Scrubb was committed to Louisville before opting to stay in the draft this spring. Solid 3-and-D potential with great athleticism. Really intriguing prospect
I'd be happy taking him in the 2nd round

he won't be available that late

curious to see where the Celts draft him
I've only seen mocks with him being taken in the 2nd round

You know with Ainge, we can't really expect conventional when it comes to drafts

Maybe except for James Young,  his picks have been curveballs

Olynyk, Yabusele, Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier, Al Jefferson, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum to name a few

If Scrubb transfers out to Louisville and excels where would he be chosen in the draft??   So Ainge could take this gamble.

Scrubb highlights.  Handles, mid air adjustments, shots look good. But then again can he do that vs better competition?
https://youtu.be/uJGrfjpkLJU?t=46

Danny will be unpredictable. I'd probably pick Bane too high at 14 as I think he'll be gone by 26 but there are lots of good shooters in this draft. We need some 3 and D players off of the bench and we need guys that can play at least low bench minutes as soon as possible.  If we can get to the finals I think Danny drafts more players that are ready to go, older guys that can shoot and defend now.

Has Danny taken a junior or senior college player below 20th pick in the past decade?

If its Bane probably with one of the 20 picks

I agree Bane is a guy who they could take at 26/30

I really like Bane but his lack of length will likely limit his ability to defend up on switches. For this reason I wouldn't take him at #14

If they where available a #14 Achiuwa #26 Bane draft wouldn't surprise me. By no means my ideal draft but the logic works.

Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #275 on: September 21, 2020, 09:01:59 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

He is in a weird PF/C type mode at the moment.  Doesn't have handles or perimeter skills to be a stretch 4.  Doesn't have lower body strength to battle bigger players

Tillman though only 6'8 (7'1 wingspan) is a strong dude.   He has shown he can hold off bigger/taller players.  So could defend centers.  + perimeter skills

Im not sure what thread I posted this too before but J Smith reminds me of JuJuan Johnson. At the time I loved the pick, his theoretical fit as a floor stretching rim protector was perfect. Like Johnson I fear Smith is going to be struck not quick enough to be a switching big and not strong enough to protect the rim. Could very well be the type of player who puts up great summer league/g-league numbers but his game doesn't translate to NBA.

Tillman is the opposite of Smith his strength, length, and IQ is a great mix for a long time NBA role player. Plenty of 6'8-6'9 bigs with this profile have had really long careers. He may never be a star or even a starter but he is a player I would trust in a playoff series. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #276 on: September 21, 2020, 10:16:08 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Im not sure what thread I posted this too before but J Smith reminds me of JuJuan Johnson. At the time I loved the pick, his theoretical fit as a floor stretching rim protector was perfect. Like Johnson I fear Smith is going to be struck not quick enough to be a switching big and not strong enough to protect the rim. Could very well be the type of player who puts up great summer league/g-league numbers but his game doesn't translate to NBA.

Tillman is the opposite of Smith his strength, length, and IQ is a great mix for a long time NBA role player. Plenty of 6'8-6'9 bigs with this profile have had really long careers. He may never be a star or even a starter but he is a player I would trust in a playoff series.

Agreed

« Reply #277 on: September 21, 2020, 10:25:14 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Could sure use a guy like Aaron Nesmith in this Heat series.  Deadly catch and shoot 3 point shooter.  Duncan Robinson type, although can shoot off dribble too.

« Reply #278 on: September 21, 2020, 01:54:37 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
He’ll be a good athletic 3&D big man in my opinion. I think taking him at 14 would be a bit of a reach, but I certainly wouldn’t be upset with him. I see him as basically growing into PJ Brown with a jumper.

I have other guys I want more but he’d be decent
I love the irony of this comparisons.  PJ Brown with a jumper would be positively awesome for the 14th pick.

« Reply #279 on: September 21, 2020, 01:56:02 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Could sure use a guy like Aaron Nesmith in this Heat series.  Deadly catch and shoot 3 point shooter.  Duncan Robinson type, although can shoot off dribble too.
Yeah, he's caught my attention lately.  A shooter is something that could be inserted into most any lineup without much issues.

« Reply #280 on: September 21, 2020, 04:18:01 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Yeah, he's caught my attention lately.  A shooter is something that could be inserted into most any lineup without much issues.

If he can shoot from the nba three like he did for 14 games in college last year, of course.

« Reply #281 on: September 21, 2020, 04:22:51 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

If he can shoot from the nba three like he did for 14 games in college last year, of course.

I'm kinda' hoping Danny goes after Davis Bertans or Joe Harris this off-season instead. Neither guy is a great defender, but both are decent team/scheme defenders. A lot of things would have to fall right to do that. Either would have to be content with a MLE or partial MLE. Kanter would need to opt out. Moving forward, Hayward would need to resign at a reasonable level because of Tatum's big contract upcoming.

« Reply #282 on: September 21, 2020, 04:30:45 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

If Nesmith is not available

How about another 3 pt sharpshooter - Nwora with the 30th?

Highlights
https://youtu.be/5T3kJUW5Mic

« Reply #283 on: September 21, 2020, 04:37:05 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
Likely not going 14th... but I was predicting Danny could be interested in Scrubb

Chris Grenham: Top JUCO recruit Jay Scrubb made a great impression on the Celtics during their virtual pre-draft meeting, per source. Scrubb was committed to Louisville before opting to stay in the draft this spring. Solid 3-and-D potential with great athleticism. Really intriguing prospect
I'd be happy taking him in the 2nd round

he won't be available that late

curious to see where the Celts draft him
I've only seen mocks with him being taken in the 2nd round

You know with Ainge, we can't really expect conventional when it comes to drafts

Maybe except for James Young,  his picks have been curveballs

Olynyk, Yabusele, Avery Bradley, Terry Rozier, Al Jefferson, Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum to name a few

If Scrubb transfers out to Louisville and excels where would he be chosen in the draft??   So Ainge could take this gamble.

Scrubb highlights.  Handles, mid air adjustments, shots look good. But then again can he do that vs better competition?
https://youtu.be/uJGrfjpkLJU?t=46

Danny will be unpredictable. I'd probably pick Bane too high at 14 as I think he'll be gone by 26 but there are lots of good shooters in this draft. We need some 3 and D players off of the bench and we need guys that can play at least low bench minutes as soon as possible.  If we can get to the finals I think Danny drafts more players that are ready to go, older guys that can shoot and defend now.

Has Danny taken a junior or senior college player below 20th pick in the past decade?

If its Bane probably with one of the 20 picks

I agree Bane is a guy who they could take at 26/30

I really like Bane but his lack of length will likely limit his ability to defend up on switches. For this reason I wouldn't take him at #14

If they where available a #14 Achiuwa #26 Bane draft wouldn't surprise me. By no means my ideal draft but the logic works.

Bane does lack ideal NBA length but he is built like a truck. I think he'll be at least an average NBA defender and he's shooting and motor are top notch.

« Reply #284 on: September 21, 2020, 04:39:37 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith

That JuJuan Johnson comparison is scary. I was higher on Jalen Smith but I've fallen off a little just over the funky way he runs and moves around the court. I know some players just move strangely and the results are what matters but it's off putting.