Author Topic: Woj: KD to Phoenix  (Read 4324 times)

Re: Durant to Suns
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2023, 06:40:28 AM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
The Phoenix Suns are acquiring star forward Kevin Durant in a blockbuster trade with the Brooklyn Nets, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Suns are sending Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder, four first-round picks and a 2028 pick swap to Brooklyn, according to sources.

Phoenix is also getting T.J. Warren in the deal, sources said.

I just don't get it.  The guy has played 59% of his games the last 2+ years.  Suns gave up about 4 too many 1st round picks.  The young bucks Bridges and Johnson + crowder filler is enough from my eyes.

« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2023, 06:44:03 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
The Phoenix Suns are acquiring star forward Kevin Durant in a blockbuster trade with the Brooklyn Nets, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Suns are sending Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder, four first-round picks and a 2028 pick swap to Brooklyn, according to sources.

I just don't get it.  The guy has played 59% of his games the last 2+ years.  Suns gave up about 4 too many 1st round picks.  The young bucks Bridges and Johnson + crowder filler is enough from my eyes.
They are all in. They got Durant and kept CP3, Ayton, and Booker. They needed to do something as they had taken a step back this year.

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2023, 07:19:03 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25607
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

It's hard to land a legitimate star player.  If the move delivers the Suns a title, they'll be fine with giving up the extra picks.  And if not, it probably won't hurt the Suns too much until around 2027.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Re: Woj: KD to Phoenix in Greenly-style Trade
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2023, 07:19:09 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
BKN In: Four unprotected first-round picks (2023, 2025, 2027, 2029), 2028 PHX 1st swap, Mikal Bridges, Cam Johnson, Jae Crowder

PHX In: KD, TJ Warren

Nets reportedly fielding calls for Crowder, so add another pick to the haul in all likelihood.

Source: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/35620592/phoenix-suns-acquiring-kevin-durant-blockbuster-deal-brooklyn-nets

Commentary on this huge movement of KD and Kyrie into the West (TBD on whether Kyrie eventually lands on the Lakers in exchange for D’Angelo Russell in the off-season):

What a haul for the Nets and the Suns did it without giving up Ayton, meaning they (unlike us) have a legit Big 3 with CP3 as their PG version of Horford. Hopefully Kawhi demands out of LA in the off-season because, as good as he is, his supporting cast is not good enough to get past Phoenix and us to win his next title. My bet: Mr. New Balance is a Celtic at some point in the summer.
Phoenix was literally trying to trade CP3 a week ago because he is cooked. If anything, their new Big 3 is Booker, KD, Ayton.

Re: Woj: KD to Phoenix
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2023, 08:19:25 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2977
Does this put them over the salary cap i guess with four stars to pay

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2023, 08:21:42 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 991
Does this put them over the salary cap i guess with four stars to pay

I assume you mean luxury tax.  They were already over, and apparently are no longer afraid of it.

« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2023, 08:31:04 AM »

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Lol the nets

« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2023, 08:33:00 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3205
Lol the nets

How many guys do they have on their roster now?

« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2023, 08:40:22 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823

It's hard to land a legitimate star player.  If the move delivers the Suns a title, they'll be fine with giving up the extra picks.  And if not, it probably won't hurt the Suns too much until around 2027.

Yep, they’re rolling the dice. With health they have to be considered a contender, maybe a favorite to come out of the west. If the Suns could meet the Mavs in round 1, I’d be so conflicted about who to root for.

« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2023, 09:20:41 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2671
  • bammokja
Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
Nets gets unprotected picks in 2023, 2025, 2027 and 2029, source tells ESPN.

Shades of Pierce and KG trade!!!!!  :o
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2023, 09:25:40 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1558
I don't really like the trade for the Nets.  They have way too many good players to really bottom out and they really aren't going to see anything from a draft pick for like 5 years.  They are going to be mediocre for awhile and then will enter a rebuild 5 years or whatever down the line.  Now maybe they still move Bridges, Johnson, Dinwiddie, etc.

The picks are great of course, I just don't like the roster.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2023, 09:27:20 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 886
Definitely a risky trade for PHO.  They are banking on Chris Paul and Durant staying healthy enough to get them through a play off run or two.  History does not favor that happening.

But this is different than when NJN traded for Pierce and Garnett.  With the Nets, once it was clear that Pierce and Garnett were kind of expired, spent, they had nothing else.  For PHO, even though they would not be nearly the team without Paul and Durant, they still have Booker and Ayton and a few other decent pieces to move forward with.

And I like that they got TJ Warren in the deal.  He is a nice piece for a contending team like PHO will be.  That probably cost them an additional pick but I think it is a nice piece to have.  The question is whether they can gel as a team this season.  It is a lot to ask when a team turns over like this mid season.  Again, historically, it doesn't happen in a half a season but Durant is a great player and I think he might just be able to figure out how to make this all work, to find a way to fit in.

« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2023, 09:30:30 AM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I don't really like the trade for the Nets.  They have way too many good players to really bottom out and they really aren't going to see anything from a draft pick for like 5 years.  They are going to be mediocre for awhile and then will enter a rebuild 5 years or whatever down the line.  Now maybe they still move Bridges, Johnson, Dinwiddie, etc.

I wonder if a team like the Cs could grab Johnson for a draft pick. Like you said, they probably have too many players now, and it makes sense for them to keep accumulating picks/assets.

« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2023, 09:31:49 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1418
  • Let's Go Celtics!

There was no incentive for them to bottom out this year - Houston has rights to a pick swap from the Harden deal.

I like the trade - they brought in some high character hard working guys and that gives them a chance to reestablish the culture they once had under Kenny Atkinson. And of course they can flip a player or two from more picks.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 09:51:52 AM by RJ87 »
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2023, 10:04:40 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1625
  • What a Pub Should Be
Brooklyn is now 0-3 with super teams, huh?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team