Author Topic: Question about traded protected draft picks  (Read 795 times)

Question about traded protected draft picks
« on: January 27, 2013, 01:52:08 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
So let's say team A has traded the rights to a draft pick with top 15 protection in 2013, and top 10 protected in 2014, and unprotected in 2015.

Team A finishes out of the playoffs, so they still own their rights in 2013. Can they then trade that draft pick?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Re: Question about traded protected draft picks
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 02:27:54 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
A team can't trade first-round picks in consecutive years.  I suspect that Team A would have to treat their 2013 pick as if their 2014 pick has been traded.

Of course, the easy work-around is that the team waits until draft night and drafts a player for Team B then sends that player's rights to Team B as part of a trade.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Re: Question about traded protected draft picks
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 02:52:42 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
A team can't trade first-round picks in consecutive years.  I suspect that Team A would have to treat their 2013 pick as if their 2014 pick has been traded.

Of course, the easy work-around is that the team waits until draft night and drafts a player for Team B then sends that player's rights to Team B as part of a trade.

That was my thought as well. So basically, the Kings, Raptors, Bobcats, and others, can't trade their first round pick, even after the lottery.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner