Author Topic: If we can't talk about the A-word, we shouldn't see Pro-Life advertising  (Read 21778 times)

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
To stand up for Byennie a bit here, as someone who has sold online advertising in the past, Google ads works via a "bidding" system, so the ads that are shown are those of the people/companies who are willing to pay the most per ad.

Additionally, while I think you can ban individual causes/companies from advertising on an as-needed basis, I don't think there is a way to broadly ban one form of content besides banning it once you see it (because these impressions are only a few dollars per thousand impressions, max, so Google, unlike facebook, does not have a "team" to monitor or classify the content of ads).

So this is not the agenda of CB mods or anything else, and I think the changing ads suggest that Byennie is trying to be proactive by banning overtly political/religious ads as they sees them.

EDIT: Okay, I just noticed my post had hyperlinks to advertisements automatically added to it. THAT seems a bit over the top.

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
The linked ads within the posts' text is kind of over the top.  I appreciate the effort to keep this thing running, but the ads are interfering with the product IMO. 
Yup

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
To stand up for Byennie a bit here, as someone who has sold online advertising in the past, Google ads works via a "bidding" system, so the ads that are shown are those of the people/companies who are willing to pay the most per ad.

Additionally, while I think you can ban individual causes/companies from advertising on an as-needed basis, I don't think there is a way to broadly ban one form of content besides banning it once you see it (because these impressions are only a few dollars per thousand impressions, max, so Google, unlike facebook, does not have a "team" to monitor or classify the content of ads).

So this is not the agenda of CB mods or anything else, and I think the changing ads suggest that Byennie is trying to be proactive by banning overtly political/religious ads as they sees them.

EDIT: Okay, I just noticed my post had hyperlinks to advertisements automatically added to it. THAT seems a bit over the top.

I hope I am not coming off as attacking byennie. I really appreciate him taking the lead in saving this site. He was always a stand-up member when we were CB, and even more so now as CS. My point in posting these ads is only to bring attention to them so they can [possibly] be remedied. I should reiterate that I understand that there are ads, but the religious/pro-life nature of these newer ones is a little troubling. Like, check this one out. Seriously, right?

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I hope I am not coming off as attacking byennie. I really appreciate him taking the lead in saving this site. He was always a stand-up member when we were CB, and even more so now as CS. My point in posting these ads is only to bring attention to them so they can [possibly] be remedied. I should reiterate that I understand that there are ads, but the religious/pro-life nature of these newer ones is a little troubling. Like, check this one out. Seriously, right?

First, I agree with you.  They don’t belong here.

But, I’m curious, did the one today bother you?  I just roll my eyes at that stuff and move on.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones

First, I agree with you.  They don’t belong here.

But, I’m curious, did the one today bother you?  I just roll my eyes at that stuff and move on.

Which is the right thing to do, but I am probably a little over-sensitive about this stuff since I'm gay, and hardcore christians haven't exactly been our closest allies through the years. I am not one to make a federal case out of things like this, but pro-life and anti-p*rn ads could easily lead to traditional marriage ones. Just want to make note of these ads since this is clearly not what the site or its moderators want to portray as its main message. Sorry if I sound crazy.

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Hi guys, thanks for letting me know. I'm going to see what I can do about a couple of these ads. Sorry for the slow response - I am not always actively monitoring the forums for these types of threads and the fastest way to get my attention is by email (admin at the site's name).

To be clear, there are exactly zero ads that I individually review, or have the capability to review, on the site. That said, of course I take responsibility for any issues and will look for solutions.

I killed the in-text links - that was an option with on of our networks which has otherwise worked well, but that particular feature was annoying and won't be coming back. I also killed the video spots. They may be a good option at some point, but they were way too intrusive.

I believe there should be some ability to limit the amount of religious content in the side panel. Seems like our Irish Catholic/ Boston demographic draws a good amount of specific and repetitive Catholic content, but I haven't previously seen anything as aggressive as the anti-**** one and will inquire.

Thanks for your patience. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to keep the forum going, but it's definitely a juggling act to do as a one-man show without coming out of pocket for expenses. My hope is that as the NBA ramps back up, so will our traffic and publisher opportunities. More options and more traffic gives me the best opportunity to cull the placements.

Will see what I can do about these particular ads.

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Hi guys, thanks for letting me know. I'm going to see what I can do about a couple of these ads. Sorry for the slow response - I am not always actively monitoring the forums for these types of threads and the fastest way to get my attention is by email (admin at the site's name).

To be clear, there are exactly zero ads that I individually review, or have the capability to review, on the site. That said, of course I take responsibility for any issues and will look for solutions.

I killed the in-text links - that was an option with on of our networks which has otherwise worked well, but that particular feature was annoying and won't be coming back. I also killed the video spots. They may be a good option at some point, but they were way too intrusive.

I believe there should be some ability to limit the amount of religious content in the side panel. Seems like our Irish Catholic/ Boston demographic draws a good amount of specific and repetitive Catholic content, but I haven't previously seen anything as aggressive as the anti-**** one and will inquire.

Thanks for your patience. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to keep the forum going, but it's definitely a juggling act to do as a one-man show without coming out of pocket for expenses. My hope is that as the NBA ramps back up, so will our traffic and publisher opportunities. More options and more traffic gives me the best opportunity to cull the placements.

Will see what I can do about these particular ads.
Thanks Byennie.  Not enough gratitude can be expressed for your efforts to keep this site going.  A measly TP for the reply

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
A quick update on this, I contacted our ad partner responsible and they are going to block the advertiser in question from our site. I expect it should take effect pretty soon.

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kudos to you, Byennie for the transparency and all of the effort you put in to keeping this place running as best as possible.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Kudos to you, Byennie for the transparency and all of the effort you put in to keeping this place running as best as possible.
Here. Here. Could not agree more.

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
A quick update on this, I contacted our ad partner responsible and they are going to block the advertiser in question from our site. I expect it should take effect pretty soon.

Hey great job!  TP
thanks for all your efforts.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
Here. Here. Could not agree more.

Yep, you pretty much single-handedly saved this site, byennie, and your efforts are very appreciated. Thank you so much for putting so much thought into this and for all of your hard work.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

That's good to hear, thanks for keeping us informed.  And a well-deserved 3000th TP to you!
I'm bitter.

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I was not aware of this thread from 2020 and had mentioned something similar here: https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=104889

Sounds like the most egregious ads are gone but I still see weird catholic-themed ads, for instance one for a "persecuted priests summit" and another one with a photoshopped bruised and battered Pope Francis.

Everyone's entitled to their own political and religious beliefs and all, but I find it distasteful to have things like this on the site.

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
I was not aware of this thread from 2020 and had mentioned something similar here: https://forum.celticsstrong.com/index.php?topic=104889

Sounds like the most egregious ads are gone but I still see weird catholic-themed ads, for instance one for a "persecuted priests summit" and another one with a photoshopped bruised and battered Pope Francis.

Everyone's entitled to their own political and religious beliefs and all, but I find it distasteful to have things like this on the site.

The burning church in the background of the Pope Francis one is especially haunting and I see the handcuffed to the computer masturbation dude all the time. Maybe these two threads can just be merged - you are linking to a thread you started today, but bumping a thread I posted in that thread.

At least we have some respite with the Monk's Bread and St. Clare Heirloom seeds ads