Author Topic: Boston needs one more good big man to be elite  (Read 4648 times)

Re: Boston needs one more good big man to be elite
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 04:39:03 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
I'd say the Celtics need someone who can come off the bench and get buckets.

Marcus Morris would be great for that.
Nope. Not the droids you're looking for.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2017, 05:01:23 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Marco Belinelli makes the most sense to me. Hoping Hawks would be willing to give him up for a 2nd and trade exception.  Great shooter, and his defense is decent enough.
I second this thought. He would be a good fit with either Smart or Rozier.

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2017, 05:03:03 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
I do not agree.  They need someone off the bench who can really score.  I think they can adjust the line up though.  I hope they do and make Morris the bench scorer.  I think it would work out well for him and the team.  It doesn't make the bench scoring great but it'd work better.

With Hayward they wouldn't have the problem.

Honestly the post is kind of funny in you are asking for Al Horford.  Yeah he isn't young, but we still have him.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 05:14:56 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Marcus Smart shooting league average makes this team a true contender.  Losing hope that's going to happen though.

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2017, 05:20:09 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Marcus Smart shooting league average makes this team a true contender.  Losing hope that's going to happen though.

He's still only 23 but I did hope for more early in this year.  It's still a long season. 

I will say he had 8 assists last game.  I thought they let him shoot within the zone and he was really off.  It took away the post game which I think has helped him so far this year find offense.

Maybe a good part out of this will be resigning Smart for a low price then he does shoot well in a season or two and he's a bargain.  Trying to be positive lol.  But really, his defense is so great.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2017, 05:30:47 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
I think people are going to be so surprised with how good this team is going to be just with one more year of development out of Tatum and Brown and the addition of Hayward. Next year this team will be an elite team on both ends of the court and moving Morris to a sixth man position off the bench is going to fix a lot of the bench scoring problems.

A big will eventually be needed but I have to think Ainge is going to address that with the LA/Sac pick. That gives the team a year or more to develop him behind Horford. I also think Horford will resign for his last contract at a bargain rate and will take on the vet off the bench role that Iguodala has with GSW.

A lot depends on whether that Lakers pick conveys. I would love to have a young big with talent coming up behind Al. The Lakers pick would give us that, and a long-term outlook that’s fantastic - we’d punk Golden State. But i doubt we get that pick. Which means looking for value and hoping for the Kings to stink...

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2017, 05:41:52 PM »

Offline Darío SpanishFan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
A guy like Collins from ATL would be nice.

A guy named Anthony Davis would too.

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2017, 05:59:15 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I think people are going to be so surprised with how good this team is going to be just with one more year of development out of Tatum and Brown and the addition of Hayward. Next year this team will be an elite team on both ends of the court and moving Morris to a sixth man position off the bench is going to fix a lot of the bench scoring problems.

A big will eventually be needed but I have to think Ainge is going to address that with the LA/Sac pick. That gives the team a year or more to develop him behind Horford. I also think Horford will resign for his last contract at a bargain rate and will take on the vet off the bench role that Iguodala has with GSW.

A lot depends on whether that Lakers pick conveys. I would love to have a young big with talent coming up behind Al. The Lakers pick would give us that, and a long-term outlook that’s fantastic - we’d punk Golden State. But i doubt we get that pick. Which means looking for value and hoping for the Kings to stink...

I think it depends more on how we finish the season. If we make the Finals, you may see us move the pick (whether it conveys or not). We will be getting an All-Star in Hayward, but we may be ready to make another splash to make us not only bonafide contenders, but the favorites.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2017, 06:07:43 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Right now I agree with those who favor a shooter off the bench.  But with Hayward back next year and Morris off the bench things should be better. Perhaps Semi also gets more comfortable with the 3 over the course of the year. 

Aron Baynes expires this year and is likely in store for a healthy raise - not sure what Cs will be willing to spend on Baynes but without him next year, a defensive, rebounding big (hmm, like Baynes) will be a big need.

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2017, 06:11:24 PM »

Offline dweeks7

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
I do not agree.  They need someone off the bench who can really score.  I think they can adjust the line up though.  I hope they do and make Morris the bench scorer.  I think it would work out well for him and the team.  It doesn't make the bench scoring great but it'd work better.

With Hayward they wouldn't have the problem.

Honestly the post is kind of funny in you are asking for Al Horford.  Yeah he isn't young, but we still have him.

I agree with what you are saying but his timeline may not work out for the Celtics. He is a good power forward but we are missing Gordon Hayward and Tatum and Brown are not what they will be in 3 or 4 years. By that time he will not be the player he is today and he is not a true rim protector and re-bounder.

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2017, 06:59:22 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
We need anyone off the bench who can score when Smart and Rozier combine for 3-21. This is why people wanted Gerald Green back.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2017, 07:17:08 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Was thinking about Zach Randolph in Sacramento. Can we combine salary with the IPE?

He can still play at a pretty high level and carry the offense for stretches .

« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2017, 07:59:40 PM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
Whoever it will be must be a competent defender as well.
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2017, 04:06:47 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
If the Lakers pick conveys we have a good chance to draft Bagley, Bamba, Porter Jr, or Ayton.  I'm gonna assume that Doncic goes #1 overall because his hype is unreal.  That's a pretty great selection of big men for Ainge to pick from.

« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2017, 04:08:50 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Right now I agree with those who favor a shooter off the bench.  But with Hayward back next year and Morris off the bench things should be better. Perhaps Semi also gets more comfortable with the 3 over the course of the year. 

Aron Baynes expires this year and is likely in store for a healthy raise - not sure what Cs will be willing to spend on Baynes but without him next year, a defensive, rebounding big (hmm, like Baynes) will be a big need.

If Baynes does not seek the moon I would like the Celtics to resign him on like a 2 or 3 year deal.  He really solidifies the D with his toughness, he can hit the open midrange on the pick and roll, and he's really helped our size and rebounding situation as well.

I would argue that resigning Baynes might be more important than resigning Smart because with Rozier at least we have a replacement on the roster.