Poll

Disappointed With No Minor Move While Injuries Are Happening Around The League?

No. We Weren't Winning Anyways. Who Cares If It's Not A Star Player?
6 (33.3%)
Yes. I Wanted Hopefully A Deep Playoff Run. We NEED Rebounding/Rim Protection.
12 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Author Topic: Ainge Not Making Even A Minor Move Looks Disappointing Now..  (Read 1881 times)

Re: Ainge Not Making Even A Minor Move Looks Disappointing Now..
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2017, 03:46:34 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
It's always been disappointing to me that he didn't make a minor move, regardless of what our actual title chances are.  Any one of Tucker, Bogut, Gibson (all of whom were moved at the deadline) would have been fantastic.

Noel was always a non-starter for salary reasons.
Noel is an expiring contract.  There are no salary reasons that would have prevented Boston from acquiring him.

a) Would you be satisfied with a one year rental of Noel?
b) Do you know what a cap hold is?

Great words from a great man

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2017, 03:59:11 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Ainge passed up countless opportunities to fill holes up front at the trade deadline. Even to trade for a Butler--maybe. And this is with the knowledge that Love was out until the playoffs. And now so is Durant.

Ainge had a golden opportunity to make the future now. And right now, it looks like he might not win the East--even with Lowry out.

I found some of his conflicting quotes on rebounding lately a little bizarre, and wonder whether he and Stevens, who he says has equal say in personnel, are on the same page. I can't believe an old Celtic would ignore rebounding as an important part of the mix. The 3P shot is looking a bit overblown--especially if you don't have Curry and Thompson to shoot it.

« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2017, 04:00:53 PM »

Offline Fireworks_Boom!

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
I'm not saying he should have over payed for Butler or PG13.

I'm saying he should have made a trade for one of these two.

George was out of reach. But Butler was attainable and would've fit in perfectly with the culture of this team AND would have upgraded the team. Yes we would have lost pieces in the mix (rumored to be Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley and Brooklyn 2017 for Butler and Gibson).

WHICH I WOULD'VE DONE.

Jae is redundant to Jimmy Butler/Jaylen Brown/Taj Gibson, Avery is redundant to Marcus Smart/Terry Rozier and Brooklyn 2017 will likely yield a piece redundant to IT (Fultz/Ball). Now was the time to trade one of the glut of guards and get a return on them. Avery is the odd man out in this equation.

I'm still satisfied with our long term flexibility and assets (Max FA room, likely 2 top 5 picks in the next 2 drafts) but this to me was the missed opportunity of this trade deadline.

« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2017, 04:10:26 PM »

Offline Banner18now!

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
Not really.   Nothing has really changed.

Everyone mentioned being hurt are suppose to be back in time for the playoffs. 

Still want to see them pick up Sully who is now playing for his next contract.

Wasn't he playing for a contract last season? How did that work out? The guy simply isn't motivated. He should have been in great shape last year for at least his contract year and got fatter as the year went on. Report out of Toronto is they didn't like his work ethic either. The guy just doesn't have it.

« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 04:20:56 PM »

Offline oldtype

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 143
Not really.   Nothing has really changed.

Everyone mentioned being hurt are suppose to be back in time for the playoffs. 

Still want to see them pick up Sully who is now playing for his next contract.

Wasn't he playing for a contract last season? How did that work out? The guy simply isn't motivated. He should have been in great shape last year for at least his contract year and got fatter as the year went on. Report out of Toronto is they didn't like his work ethic either. The guy just doesn't have it.

Sully wasn't bad last season.  You just can't play him at all in the playoffs against teams with perimeter bigs because he dies a horrible death whenever forced to defend in space.  I'd be more than happy to have him back to play 15 minutes a game and get rebounds.

Great words from a great man

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 04:33:46 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd argue him not making a minor move looks exactly as disappointing now as it did before.

(BTW my 'I wish' trade was Rozier and 2nds for Noel)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 04:42:40 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Sully wasn't bad last season.  You just can't play him at all in the playoffs against teams with perimeter bigs because he dies a horrible death whenever forced to defend in space.  I'd be more than happy to have him back to play 15 minutes a game and get rebounds.

Really you want a guy shooting 32% from the field and 18% from the trey line?  After the way he quit his final season here, I think we should stay away from him. 

I  really think Ainge does not think we can go far, so why spend or get quality assets (which Sullinger is not at this point). 

Getting Sully would be great tank wise though.  Toronto did not win a game he played in.

Entering Wednesday night, Sullinger was averaging 3.3 points and 2.3 rebounds while shooting just 25 percent from the field over six games. Furthermore, the reeling Raptors lost all six games in which Sullinger had played, allowing the Celtics to pass them and slide into second place in the Eastern Conference standings.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/celtics/2017/02/01/cnotes/NT1gfKK4umuxcUOsZr70hP/story.html

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 04:44:55 PM »

Offline Chief Macho

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 84
I still annoyed he didn't trade up somehow or consolidate those draft picks.

« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 04:46:12 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Sully is the classic wait-and-see but don't commit guy.

If he hits the gym for the next month and actually looks like he wants to save his career by rebounding everything in sight, then great, sign him cheap for the playoffs. Nothing expensive or long term under (almost) any circumstances.

If not (likely) then keep on dodging that bullet. It's on him now.

« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2017, 04:49:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
If not (likely) then keep on dodging that bullet. It's on him now.

The way he moves I doubt he could dodge a beach ball let alone a bullet.  He had his chance, he blew it.  How many chances will people give this guy given his past he simply does not deserve another.  His shooting is worse than ever.

« Reply #25 on: March 01, 2017, 04:51:46 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Danny Ainge can go 4uck himself

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2017, 04:51:52 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
switch "Even a Minor" with "Major" and i agree with the thread title.

I still trust in Ainge that the prices were probably just too high, but if we had added a George or a Butler we could be legit title contenders right now.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 07:37:17 PM by Ilikesports17 »
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.